Green consumers are mean and more likely to steal - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Banned

According to a study, when people feel they have been morally virtuous by saving the planet through their purchases of organic baby food, for example, it leads to the "licensing [of] selfish and morally questionable behaviour", otherwise known as "moral balancing" or "compensatory ethics".

Do Green Products Make Us Better People is published in the latest edition of the journal Psychological Science. Its authors, Canadian psychologists Nina Mazar and Chen-Bo Zhong, argue that people who wear what they call the "halo of green consumerism" are less likely to be kind to others, and more likely to cheat and steal. "Virtuous acts can license subsequent asocial and unethical behaviours," they write.

Dieter Frey, a social psychologist at the University of Munich, said the findings fitted patterns of human behaviour. "At the moment in which you have proven your credentials in a particular area, you tend to allow yourself to stray elsewhere," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...e-likely-steal

Do veggies wear a 'halo of ethical consumerism?'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
According to a study, when people feel they have been morally virtuous by saving the planet through their purchases of organic baby food, for example, it leads to the "licensing [of] selfish and morally questionable behaviour", otherwise known as "moral balancing" or "compensatory ethics".

I can see this being true, given human nature.
#3 Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Do veggies wear a 'halo of ethical consumerism?'

Not all, but there's definitely some who look down on meat eaters.

--Fromper

#4 Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

It would be interesting to know the age of the study's participants.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

It would be interesting to know the age of the study's participants.

Looks like they were college students by and large:

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early...pdf+html?rss=1
#6 Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

That is such a bull**** study. I'm an ethically conscious green consumer, and my ethics have always extended to all areas of life. For example, last week I made an anonymous call to the police about the location of the bodies of a few people I had murdered, because I didn't want valuable tax-payer money to go to waste trying to find them.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I was customer service manager at a health-food store with lots of eco-friendly and "natural" products for two years. We lost merchandise regularly to shoplifting and a lot of our regular customers were the rudest cranks you ever met. I can't say it was any better/worse than the mainstream stores I've worked at over the years, though.
#8 Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

That is such a bull**** study. I'm an ethically conscious green consumer, and my ethics have always extended to all areas of life. For example, last week I made an anonymous call to the police about the location of the bodies of a few people I had murdered, because I didn't want valuable tax-payer money to go to waste trying to find them.

You completely creep me out.. BAD!!!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#9 Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This made me laugh out loud. Seriously.
#10 Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if the study asked a question of WHY the people were meaner.... I mean if someone tries to do good, and they start to realize that everyone else appears to be self-centered "all for me, and screw our kids" mentality for the future, they may appear "mean" yet really may just be fed up with everything.

Then the willingness to share.... if a green person is spending 50-100% more for the items, why would they want to share? That's a lot of money they'd be shelling out in comparison. And then bringing in computers to see if someone would cheat... um... "cheat codes" show up more than not on games--people "cheat" all the time on computer-based things and think nothing of it as it is not real.

Not saying the results may not be valid (as I have seen similar things involving religion and such), just using computer games and something involving an envelope (without any real details), it is hard to tell. Not to mention, the researcher's appear to have made their minds up on what would happen, potentially influencing the outcome (even if it is valid).
#11 Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm having problems reading the second link but if it's only 156 people assuming I'm reading that correctly, it's a very small sample size. You need a much bigger sample size to make judgements.
#12 Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 PM

This made me angry at first as a Greenie...but I just laughed How Sad....Just How Sad!!
#13 Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

It finally makes sense. All of those green products cost a fortune because people steal them. I knew there had to be a reason for that somewhere.
#14 Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

mean, yeah, one of the things I hate most about pdx. I've never been so harrassed in my entire life, the people here are vicious.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#15 Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That was you?! Good grief, when the secretary relayed us that message I was so mad. I mean, you're saving us time and money by letting us know where they are, and yet she can't keep you on the phone for an extra 20 seconds for us to get a trace on the call?! Seriously? I think it's high time somebody got the pink slip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page