H&R Block vs. Turbo Tax (online services) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering if anyone has used these and which they prefer. I've read some scary stories on Turbo Tax (reviews), but I'm sure most people don't have any problems.

Another question, both sites offer "FREE TAX FILLING," but that only applies to Federal, right? I still have to pay $30 for state? I used to go to someone who fully completed my taxes in 5 minutes or less, I've only done this online once before and it didn't seem right when I owed money. I plugged in my info this year (both sites), that's not the case, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband and i use Turbo Tax and have for years. The only issue I encountered really had nothing to do with Turbo Tax itself but with the fact that filing electronically precludes you from enclosing documentation so certain exemptions and deductions can trigger an audit. If you're just filing a standard return with no fancy deductions I wouldn't worry about anything too terrible going wrong. I've used tax preparers in the past and ended up paying too much for them doing essentially what Turbo tax does for free.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#3 Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used both in the past. I liked Turbo Tax because it was fairly easy and dirt cheap compared to going to someone. I had gotten what I assumed to be the right amount back. I've also gone to H&R and paid a ridiculous amount of money to them. It felt safer actually going to a professional then doing it online since I'm always nervous I'm going to mess things up when I do it myself online but the fees H&R block charge are just crazy. The last time I went to H&R I actually ended up doing my part of my state online anyways because I had moved from a different state halfway through the year and H&R didn't have the correct paper work for that state.
#4 Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Impeach the gangster

I used Turbo for several years. Suddenly, this year , they wanted to charge me almost $60, when before it was 20. I just cut them off and went with TaxAct Online. It was $18.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks

If I only filed my Federal right now (e-file), could I print out the form for state and mail it in?

Is this the site I would get my form from? http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/search/index.aspx
#6 Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I used Turbo for several years. Suddenly, this year , they wanted to charge me almost $60, when before it was 20. I just cut them off and went with TaxAct Online. It was $18.

Last year when I went to get my taxes done, I was charged $50. It was $25 for the 3 years before that. I was not happy that I was not informed of the price change, especially since it doubled.

I just checked, TaxAct is only $15 to e-file my state. I think I'll use that, thanks! I don't have a printer and have a feeling that would just be a major headache trying to figure it out. I hate doing taxes, love getting money
#7 Old 03-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I did both federal and state on Turbo Tax, and found it extremely easy. They only took about $50 out. I asked boyfriend who went to H&R block for his, and he said they usually take about $80 out.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#8 Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Last year when I went to get my taxes done, I was charged $50. It was $25 for the 3 years before that. I was not happy that I was not informed of the price change, especially since it doubled.

I just checked, TaxAct is only $15 to e-file my state. I think I'll use that, thanks! I don't have a printer and have a feeling that would just be a major headache trying to figure it out. I hate doing taxes, love getting money

I don't know why the sudden increase. Not a good way to treat returning customers. It sure doesn't hurt to shop around a little.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#9 Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I use the HR Block software that they renamedl "at home", which cost $30 for federal -- and includes free e-filing.

However, like others have said, there is a bit more hand holding with Turbo-tax, so many people find it easier.

Personally, I have issues with Intuit, because I consider their "Quicken" product is bloatware.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page