People making comments when they shouldn't - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

It annoys me when people, especially professionals, make comments that are unnecessary. My dentists assistant was asking me my medications, and I had been obviously stressed. When I told her "Prozac" she said "It sounds like you need it". I thought that was not cool. The lunchroom supervisor walked up behind me when I was eating my tofu and said "What the HELL is that?". Grrrrr

Similiar experiences?

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that kind of thing annoys me too.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#3 Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

It's annoying because they are not being professional (i.e. acting like a professional).
#4 Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had people make comments over various things over the years, and I just don't get riled up over it anymore because they are usually making themselves look bad!
#5 Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Beginner

I like to just stare at people with a shocked look on my face until they realize what an ass they've made of themselves
#6 Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

If that had been a movie, you could have said, "WELL. You know what you're about to need? Vicodin!" and put him in an armbar and broken his arm.

It would have been awesome.
#7 Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

If that had been a movie, you could have said, "WELL. You know what you're about to need? Vicodin!" and put him in an armbar and broken his arm.

It would have been awesome.

Or replied with:

"Are you using botox?"

"No..?"

"Too bad, because you need it."

(Despite my attempts as pacificsm....I do enjoy the odd burn! LOL)
#8 Old 03-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Or replied with:

"Are you using botox?"

"No..?"

"Too bad, because you need it."

*nods* That would work too... Your version is a comedy, mine is an action flick. Depending how we cast them, it's a total tossup who would have a bigger draw at the box office.
#9 Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

*nods* That would work too... Your version is a comedy, mine is an action flick. Depending how we cast them, it's a total tossup who would have a bigger draw at the box office.

True, I think yours would draw more as action usually sells better, but with the economy people could use a laugh as well.

We could always cast Tom Cruise in honour of SevenSeas? I think he would be thrilled!
#10 Old 03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

My ears are gauged to 3/4", and I had a dentist make a comment about "having to take skin off your [general 'you] ass to fill in the holes." Besides that it was completely unprofessional and pissed me off, that's not how they sew up gauged ears (when people even choose to do that). I'm an adult, not some 12 year old kid. If I want to put holes all over my body, I should be able to do that without some ******* dentist commenting on it.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#11 Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchbug View Post

I like to just stare at people with a shocked look on my face until they realize what an ass they've made of themselves

Yeah, I've found that works pretty well. People get more freaked out by a silent stare than they do by any type of verbal response.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#12 Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

Yeah, I've found that works pretty well. People get more freaked out by a silent stare than they do by any type of verbal response.

I prefer "excuse me, but I don't comment on your preferences, so I would prefer it if you would mind your own business."

or "that is incredibly rude and uncalled for, sir (or madam). i would enjoy it if you would please keep your comments to yourself"
#13 Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually appreciate blunt people to some degree. The ones that bug me are the ones that say a blunt comment and then are offended when you are blunt back.

But more on the scale you guys are talking about...Professionals should practice some common sense when dealing with customers/patients/etc. On the other hand, I would never go to a MD that didn't tell patients to stop smoking, lose wieght or eat better. But if my dentist told me to chill on the makeup or something, I'd think it was rude for sure. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't be the only one offended by the time I left. :P
#14 Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I think people forget that they are talking to other people...with real feelings and thoughts.
#15 Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah my teacher has made comments about my relationship between myself and my boyfriend (we're both consenting adults, but he's older than me) and it irritates me far more than if anyone else said it (conversly, no one else has ever commented negativly about it) because it's unprofessional and innapropriate.

and once I was getting my bloods taken, because I suffered with bulimia and my doctor was concerned about my electrolyte levels, and the nurse said "you look fine to me, I bet you just went on a diet and suddenly your parents think you're bulimic right?" and kept joking about it... I was fuming. If it was me-now and not me-two years ago, there'd be a letter of complaint going to her boss!

Also, (I have loads!) once I was veiwing a university and some students were showing us around (it's their job, they get paid to do it) and she made a totally inappropriate and unprovoked comment about my clothes - basicly insinuating I dressed like a slut, I emailed the university with an offical complaint... (hmm can you tell I'm british? haha)

But yes, inappropriate comments made by people in a professional position irritates me. BUT if they're in a professional position at least you're within your rights to make a complaint.
#16 Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I say, "Sorry, could you repeat that?" It's amazing how many times they look embarrassed and refuse to. Or they'll say, "Oh, what I meant to say was..." and amend their comment.
#17 Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I was at a Subway ordering my usual veggie delight, and the employee asked me "Is it it delightful?"

I said, "I like it."

"It doesn't seem it" he said.
#18 Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I find an icy stare, no smile, and a cold "I beg your pardon?" usually stops people right in their tracks. I employed this with my former boss when she asked me why I wasn't interested in participating in the office Weight Watchers program (implication: Jeez saladday, get that huge badonkadonk into a WW meeting, stat!). She got really flustered; it was hilarious. I won't take that tactic unless someone's been intentionally rude though.

I often think that most of the unprofessional/inappropriate/impolite comments are made just because the person's just having a socially awkward moment. I try to give those people a pass in that case - most of the time, they realize they're being a dork or painfully unfunny and probably walk away thinking "Good lord, why did I say that???"
#19 Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a lady in a jewellery store ask me when I was due.

I wasn't pregnant, and have never been pregnant. I'm not even that big - my tummy is flat. But I was wearing a top with an empire waist.

I was pretty upset. But that's what happens when someone is so dumb that they will just assume.
#20 Old 03-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Before I went to Russia, I happened to mention it all the time to people. Nearly everybody had some sort of opinion on travelling there, even though none of these people had ever been.

My dental hygienist told me to bring toilet paper with me and then gave me a lecture on socialized healthcare.

The actual dentist told me to watch out for the Russian men and was totally dismissive of my protests of "I have a boyfriend"

"It doesn't matter; you're not married"

When I was buying a webcam Best Buy, the guy helping me said "Wow, Russia? Their food is really bad"

Quote:

I had a lady in a jewellery store ask me when I was due.

I wasn't pregnant, and have never been pregnant. I'm not even that big - my tummy is flat. But I was wearing a top with an empire waist.

I was pretty upset. But that's what happens when someone is so dumb that they will just assume.

Empire waists make me look pregnant too.

I was getting a blood test ordered by my gynecologist for my yearly check-up, because I told her about my recent change to vegetarianism (this was a year ago). The nurse taking my blood asked me if I was expecting. That question threw me off, because I don't consider myself of the right age to be a parent. I don't consider it a possibility. I did question her, and she said that she thought that a gynecologist ordering these particular blood tests signaled that I was probably pregnant.
#21 Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you are being overly sensitive about the comments. People who are vegetarian/vegan have to put up with meat being bombarded at us all the time. From the TV to people eating it at work, to the grocery stores and on and on. I never say anything to anyone. But let someone break out the tofu for lunch and oh my f_ing........ It's a big thing!! You have the right to eat your tofu in peace. Just like anyone should.

As far as that unprofessional at the dentist office. She was way, way out of line. You could have reported her. Not that it would have done much good really. She had no right. She acted like a jerk. Her comment was insensitive and mean. I'm sorry she added to an already stressful day for you.
#22 Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I've had people make comments over various things over the years, and I just don't get riled up over it anymore because they are usually making themselves look bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchbug View Post

thats how i feel....like the other day when someone was shocked I was veg cause I am not stick thin they went on and on and I said I can always lose weight but you will never lose the ugly....lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page