How to be a good server. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned

http://howtobeagoodserver.blogspot.com/

Very good article that ALL servers and waitresses should read. I know that for most waitresses this sort of work is only a kind of layover until you get a proper job, but that does NOT mean you should not bother to do your job properly.

If all waitresss read this there would be less stuff ups. I hate it when a server brings me salad with bacon when I said NO BACON. I know that waiting is not exactly a demanding or intellectual profession, but that does not mean they should be lazy and not take care to NOT serve vegetarians BACON.

Quote:
9. When customers are placing their order, WRITE their order down. Write down EVERY detail and repeat the order to the customer. Make sure you understand every detail like if they said "no tomatoes" and you may have thought they said "only tomatoes."

Quote:
21. When the food is ready, if the same server takes the food to the customer that took the order, that server should be comparing the plate of food with the written order to see obvious mistakes such as a wrong side dish, a wrong entree, missing things, or anything that's obvious like a grilled chicken dish that's supposed to have swiss cheese(yellow) has bright orange cheddar cheese.

I don't like how she talks of chicken and cheese, but still, you'd think this was obvious. Sadly, most servers don't bother with this basic step. How hard is is to write down an order, read it back and then check the food before you bring it to the table? Like I said, it's not exactly a job that draws Nobel prize winners to it's ranks but still, it's your job to the the food RIGHT so do it.

And NO BACON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
mlp
Banned

I suspect that if I were a waitress serving your food, I would be strongly tempted to spit in it.
#3 Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

That's not very nice, mlp. Did you even read the article?
#4 Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly by 3 View Post

That's not very nice, mlp. Did you even read the article?

No, I said what I did based on your comments, and the attitude you displayed toward wait staff.

I bet you have no idea how much you get screwed with by servers and retail clerks when you display that kind of attitude.
#5 Old 03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

If they were pretty I wouldn't mind getting screwed by them at all!
#6 Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that in general, customers should treat waitstaff better. Actually, that applies to all service sector employees. Just because someone is working for you doesn't give you the right to be a jerk.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#7 Old 03-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

That is true. Unfortunately so many waitresses are lazy or stupid. How else can you explain getting bacon on a salad when you say NO BACON? Yes, I pretty face goes a long way and I'll sure tip a waitress more if she keeps herself nice, fit, has nice make up and presents herself nicely, but all the looks in the world won't make me forgive the laziness and stupidity of her serving me bacon if I say NO BACON>
#8 Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If they were pretty I wouldn't mind getting screwed by them at all!

I thought mlp wasn't being fair but that was uncalled for

And a general note, be nice and they'll try. They're people too. Also, don't leave a huge mess. I try to tidy up and stack my dishes and not make a mess.

EDIT:

Quote:

That is true. Unfortunately so many waitresses are lazy or stupid. How else can you explain getting bacon on a salad when you say NO BACON? Yes, I pretty face goes a long way and I'll sure tip a waitress more if she keeps herself nice, fit, has nice make up and presents herself nicely, but all the looks in the world won't make me forgive the laziness and stupidity of her serving me bacon if I say NO BACON>

What a load of F***ING BULLS**T!

You'll tip a waitress more if she is thin!?! WHAT THE F***!?!

Their job is NOT to look pretty for you. Their job is to serve you. Sure, respectable dress is good, but PRETTY? So maybe we should just lock ugly women up in factories? Let all the pretty women serve you. By all means, why should you have to be served by someone not off the cover of a magazine.

"keeps herself nice, fit"

Well you know it's not always that f****ing simple. Maybe she has kids to be worrying about. Maybe she had a condition.

And what if it's a man? No tip for them?

AND they work 6 hours hearing numerous orders. So, they made a mistake. You don't know if it was them or the kitchen. They are human. We all make mistakes. I'm sure they'd be happy to remake it. You don't need to be so rude and arrogant.

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
#9 Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I think that in general, customers should treat waitstaff better. Actually, that applies to all service sector employees. Just because someone is working for you doesn't give you the right to be a jerk.

Yes. Basic human decency would require it, and for those who don't have basic human decency, the thought of spit in their food should do the trick. I know that I've never done one iota more than absolutely required for any arrogant jerk, and I've made sure they paid full freight for it.
#10 Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Perhaps an honest mistake? Also, chauvinistic comments probably won't get you far around here.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#11 Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Perhaps an honest mistake? Also, chauvinistic comments probably won't get you far around here.

I vote for people messing with him intentionally. It is extremely rare that a mistake is made on any of my orders, but then, I treat wait staff and clerks as equals, not as though they are some inferior being.
#12 Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

i vote for people messing with him intentionally. It is extremely rare that a mistake is made on any of my orders, but then, i treat wait staff and clerks as equals, not as though they are some inferior being.

thank you!

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
#13 Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLennyCleo View Post

AND they work 6 hours hearing numerous orders. So, they made a mistake. You don't know if it was them or the kitchen. They are human. We all make mistakes. I'm sure they'd be happy to remake it. You don't need to be so rude and arrogant.

RTFA. I know some of you don't like me, so read the article and comment on that, not me. As it said in the article all they have to do is double check the order before putting it on the table, so if the cook does get it wrong it can be picked up before it gets to the customer.

I would have thought that vegetarians would LIKE servers that got the the right thing, knew the menu and ingredients in a dish.
#14 Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

RTFA. I know some of you don't like me, so read the article and comment on that, not me. As it said in the article all they have to do is double check the order before putting it on the table, so if the cook does get it wrong it can be picked up before it gets to the customer.

I would have thought that vegetarians would LIKE servers that got the the right thing, knew the menu and ingredients in a dish.

When you make ridiculous statements as you did people aren't going to quiet.

I do like when they get the right thing, but they are still people if they don't, and deserve to be respected.

#15 Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

I was a server for 3 years, I don't need to read an article about how to do my job. I knew how to do my job just fine.
#16 Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I was a server for 3 years, I don't need to read an article about how to do my job. I knew how to do my job just fine.

It's a good article. It's worth reading. No matter how good we are at our jobs we can always learn a little more.
#17 Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I can pretty much stop right here:

"1. Try to greet your table within 3-5 minutes."

My company policy was within the first 30 seconds. 3-5 minutes is a lonnnnng time.

"4. Do ANY up selling BEFORE the customer orders, NOT AFTER the customer just placed their order. "

That's stupid, that's the waitresses job. It's not their job to change their mind, but it's normal to ask "would you like to add cheese, grilled onion, french fries, whatever to that burger?" That's company policy at most places.

"7. Always give straws with drinks that normally get straws such as soft drinks or tea. If the customer doesn't use it, it's at least avaiable if they do."

Yet a few numbers up, the writer of the article stresses not to bring anything to the table unless it's requested. Hmmm.

"he appetizer came out, still no salad. I asked the person that ran the food about the salad, which he replied that I would have had to tell my server I wanted it as an appetizer. I think that's so ridiculous."

Isn't it ridiculous to ASSUME that the salad was going to come out first? Many places bring the salad out on the same plate as the entree. Not all, but if you want something out first, you should ask. Doesn't the customer know what they want? Geez, this person is a hypocrite.

"34. NEVER, EVER, bring the check without either being asked or asking."

The server has to follow the company policy, my company policy was to drop it off when the customer was halfway through their meal. If they wanted to order more, it was no biggy to pick it back up. Plus, most customers are mad if they have to ask for it.

"35. Do not waste your time writing "thank you" or draw smiley faces or even circle the amount on the check. If it's really busy, WHY make the customers wait to leave that much LONGER to write that? "

Really? Seriously? This person is also micro-managing 2 seconds of the servers time?

"36. Don't tell the customer about a survey. Customers can READ FOR THEMSELVES! "

Once again, company policy. And trust me, people can't read.

"40. Give ALL change back, even if it's just a penny unless the customer TELLS you to keep the change. Instead of $4.50 we were going to leave, because his service wasn't so great, he got stiffed all because he STOLE from us. He had NO RIGHTS to that money YET! GIVE BACK ALL CHANGE UNLESS THE CUSTOMER SAYS YOU CAN HAVE IT!"

Dude, this person is crazy. I honestly don't know why some companies do this, but I've experienced it too. But seriously, freaking out over pennies?

The person who wrote the article is very rude and demanding. They also don't sound like they've ever been a server before. This person goes on about how all condiments should be out on the table before the food comes, yet I've been rudely told by many customers that they didn't want it out early, they wanted it when the food came. This is what this ONE person likes, not everyone likes this. Some of the things they wrote are common sense and I agree with, but they're more crazy than anything else.
#18 Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^+1

#19 Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

When I saw the thread title and who the OP was, I knew the thread would be entertaining.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#20 Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Entertaining? The word painful comes to mind...

#21 Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

"7. Always give straws with drinks that normally get straws such as soft drinks or tea. If the customer doesn't use it, it's at least avaiable if they do."

That part was a bit nuts... who the hell drinks tea with a straw?!?
#22 Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'm skimming through the comments, the person (author) is VERY rude. VERY VERY rude and is constantly name calling like a 5 year old.
#23 Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

That part was a bit nuts... who the hell drinks tea with a straw?!?

It has nothing to do with the straw, it has everything to do with ASSUMING. This person stresses (in caps, over and over) that you should never assume a customer wants something.
#24 Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'm surprised you agree with this person, judging by the number of posts she's made in the comments thread, how long they are, and her eating habits... she can't possibly be a size 0 or 2.

I'm all about taking care of the customer, but honestly judging by all of the blogs this woman has started on the same subject, she has a massive chip on her shoulder. If she is really THAT picky and irritated by servers, why the heck does she continue to eat out? Sounds like someone who is just trying to feel superior over others when she's obviously not.
#25 Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I was a part-time waitress for a year and I think I was about the worst waitress in the history or waitressing. I spilled chocolate sauce into someone's handbag, hot custard onto one guys lap, dropped numerous plates.. the list goes on. It was a family pub, full of children and absolutely packed. It was a ****hole, to be honest.

Nobody drinks tea with a straw, you'd look like a mad person.
#26 Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

You know what I love? How the original blog post (not article) was about servers, but firefly translates that as waitresses.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#27 Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

You know what I love? How the original blog post (not article) was about servers, but firefly translates that as waitresses.

Well, it goes along with his reference to "secretary's butt" in the thread in the Heap.
#28 Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Well, it goes along with his reference to "secretary's butt" in the thread in the Heap.

What thread was this?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#29 Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned

I've drank tea with a straw a few times. I think it was the novelty of having a warm drink through a straw that attracted me
#30 Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM

The fact that the OP says that waiting tables isn't a demanding job makes it obvious that he's never worked in a restaurant.

If that's the attitude he has when speaking to servers, I agree with mlp, I would definitely spit in his food!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page