Do you resurrect old threads? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you?

if you do resurrect, do you have any limits?

What do you define as old?

I don't. If a thread falls off the main screen, I assume everyone who wanted to comment already has, and that people have "moved on" to other topics.

If the thread is still on the main screen, but no replies have been posted in more than a week, I'll assume it's dead.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll resurrect for fun and/or if it seems that it could have pertinence. As the members change regularly, it seems like many threads could be resurrected.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I do sometimes accidentally. When an old thread appears in my forum search I don't always look to see how old it is. I think it's okay though. Better to resurrect an old thread than to start a new one on the same topic. Old opinions are still valid.
#4 Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been on forums before where you'd get snapped at if you *didn't* search and look for a relevant older thread before starting a new thread. Mods would often merge redundant topics together whenever possible. I thought that was relatively universal message board etiquette, but this was a very high volume board. I didn't realize it was different on Veggieboards.
#5 Old 02-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen people respond to the strangest old threads. Like, a thread where somebody said in 2005, "I have such-and-such problem." It seems weird.

Though, if 2005 someone started a thread called "Refried Beans," and I want to add to that topic (which doesn't really age), I think it would be ok to resurrect.
#6 Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladDay View Post

I've been on forums before where you'd get snapped at if you *didn't* search and look for a relevant older thread before starting a new thread. Mods would often merge redundant topics together whenever possible. I thought that was relatively universal message board etiquette, but this was a very high volume board. I didn't realize it was different on Veggieboards.

One of the mods on the messageboard I own is really hardcore about people necroing threads that are anything more than 3 months old. Most of the time the person responding is not adding any pertinent information. There is actually a board rule against it, because it irritates him so much. We have a three strikes rule, where we warn members 3 times and then they will receive a temporary ban or a permanent ban depending on the offenses. I have found that this is pretty standard for messageboards though. Frankly, I was rather surprised when I found out that VB did not have a rule against doing so.
#7 Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It depends. If someone starts a new thread on a topic that was discuused fairly recently, you might get that reaction. or if multiple threads have been started in a short period of time.

Generally new threads on old topics are OK if it's been a while since the last one. Some have been actually dated "Where do you live 2010". This is considered OK because, like unovegan mentioned, the membership changes over time.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#8 Old 02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Though, if 2005 someone started a thread called "Refried Beans," and I want to add to that topic (which doesn't really age), I think it would be ok to resurrect.

Refried bean, in fact, do age. I would advise against resurrecting it, or you may get a stomach ache.

-nomad888
#9 Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont think ive done it, but i think it depends what the thread is on. It makes me laugh when people post advice in 3 year old threads... how did they even find it?! like why were they searching for "my BF is cheating on me with a nun" when they were on a veg*n forum?!

If I did resurrect I'd include saying "I know this is an old thread but" just so people know im not blind. A lot of the time though, its pointless becuase products and ingredients etc change
#10 Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, I never-ever look at the date of a thread. If it's a topic I'm interested, I might comment on it. I didn't know this ticked people off. What's the point of having a list of topics if people aren't supposed to go back and look through them? There are new people here all the time and it would be their first time reading it, so should they reply if it pertains to them?

confused....
#11 Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll wait until this thread is a few months old, and then I will bump it to the first page, just to **** you up.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#12 Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

Honestly, I never-ever look at the date of a thread. If it's a topic I'm interested, I might comment on it. I didn't know this ticked people off. What's the point of having a list of topics if people aren't supposed to go back and look through them? There are new people here all the time and it would be their first time reading it, so should they reply if it pertains to them?

confused....

There's nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads, it just that the info may no longer be valid, as PF mentioned in post# 9

-nomad888
#13 Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I'll wait until this thread is a few months old, and then I will bump it to the first page, just to **** you up.

I love it when you try to ruffle my feathers.

-nomad888
#14 Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I dont think ive done it, but i think it depends what the thread is on. It makes me laugh when people post advice in 3 year old threads... how did they even find it?! like why were they searching for "my BF is cheating on me with a nun" when they were on a veg*n forum?!

If I did resurrect I'd include saying "I know this is an old thread but" just so people know im not blind. A lot of the time though, its pointless becuase products and ingredients etc change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

There's nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads, it just that the info may no longer be valid, as PF mentioned in post# 9

ahhh...you'll all have to take notes that if this happens and it's me who did it, I wasn't blind because I didn't look. Just chalk it up to one of my many blonde moments.
#15 Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skittles View Post

One of the mods on the messageboard I own is really hardcore about people necroing threads that are anything more than 3 months old. Most of the time the person responding is not adding any pertinent information. There is actually a board rule against it, because it irritates him so much. We have a three strikes rule, where we warn members 3 times and then they will receive a temporary ban or a permanent ban depending on the offenses. I have found that this is pretty standard for messageboards though. Frankly, I was rather surprised when I found out that VB did not have a rule against doing so.

Very interesting. Clearly, if a person was responding to a very specific question from 4 years ago, after the OP was likely long gone, I think that could be problematic.

I used to post on one particular message board which would get a near-constant influx of new members, most of whom asked the same few questions over and over. The board rules became "Before you post any question, do a search to see if it can be answered without starting a new thread. If you do a search, read the relevant threads and feel that your question has not been answered, you may resurrect an older thread to add your question." You were only supposed to start a new thread if it was a completely novel topic. Similar threads were often merged. They were really strict about the organization, probably because there were thousands upon thousands of topics. "DO A SEARCH!" was a mod mantra.
#16 Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

confused....

Part of it is that sometimes it doesn't pertain to them.

I remember a specific instance where Broccolichick had an old thread about some sort of problem with a boyfriend or something. And more than two years later, someone responded to that thread with advice for her. It was weird!

I think if you resurrect a thread, it should be for a reason.

Things in the Compost Heap probably shouldn't be resurrected, because the debates there tend to move quickly and organically. It's more worth it to start a new thread, I think.

At the same time, I hate it when people start a new thread unneccessarily. (I was guilty of this as a newbie). We have so many threads like "ACK, I just learned what gelatin is today! What else do I need to look out for?" or "What do you all think of PETA?" or some such thing.
#17 Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Dammit. This was also my plan.
#18 Old 02-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Very interesting. Clearly, if a person was responding to a very specific question from 4 years ago, after the OP was likely long gone, I think that could be problematic.

Possibly. But people come from search engines long after a thread has died down and/or members have left. That information could still be relevant to someone else.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#19 Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Part of it is that sometimes it doesn't pertain to them.

I remember a specific instance where Broccolichick had an old thread about some sort of problem with a boyfriend or something. And more than two years later, someone responded to that thread with advice for her. It was weird!

I think if you resurrect a thread, it should be for a reason.

Things in the Compost Heap probably shouldn't be resurrected, because the debates there tend to move quickly and organically. It's more worth it to start a new thread, I think.

At the same time, I hate it when people start a new thread unneccessarily. (I was guilty of this as a newbie). We have so many threads like "ACK, I just learned what gelatin is today! What else do I need to look out for?" or "What do you all think of PETA?" or some such thing.

I think it takes away the warm fuzziness of the place to say "I hate it when people start threads that..." in a message board. Plenty people who would do this will be new, excited and just want some friendly faces to help them out. Many of them probably do ask questions that you've seen over and over again, but for them, it's all new. A little kindness goes a long way for making people feel at home and not like they just tracked dirt on someone's white carpet. I find it really sad when I see comments like "google is your friend" all that does is make someone feel like an idiot when they were just looking for help. I hope no one made you feel like that when you were just starting out. It wouldn't take much more than that for me to exit a place feeling like it was too chili to hang out in.
#20 Old 02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think it takes away the warm fuzziness of the place to say "I hate it when people start threads that..." in a message board. Plenty people who would do this will be new, excited and just want some friendly faces to help them out. Many of them probably do ask questions that you've seen over and over again, but for them, it's all new. A little kindness goes a long way for making people feel at home and not like they just tracked dirt on someone's white carpet. I find it really sad when I see comments like "google is your friend" all that does is make someone feel like an idiot when they were just looking for help. I hope no one made you feel like that when you were just starting out. It wouldn't take much more than that for me to exit a place feeling like it was too chili to hang out in.

Yes, I understand that, which is why I respond to many such threads again and again and again. I felt like this thread was an appropriate place to make the statement that this repetition is mildly annoying.
#21 Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't revive threads that are years old, but I might reply to threads that are months old.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#22 Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I've hated when forums have rules against posting in old threads. If a thread shouldn't be posted in after x number of months, then it should be locked. I'll post in any thread that is open and I want to respond to... that seems like it should be the point!
#23 Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I resurrect my own old threads, because MY old threads are the best.

(but seriously, I bump old threads if I think the subject is still relevant. Otherwise, no)

*this space not for sale*
#24 Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

I've hated when forums have rules against posting in old threads. If a thread shouldn't be posted in after x number of months, then it should be locked. I'll post in any thread that is open and I want to respond to... that seems like it should be the point!

There's only one thing more annoying than a rule against posting something: locking a thread.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#25 Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There's only one thing more annoying than a rule against posting something: locking a thread.

But that's like leaving a bags of money around with signs that say "Do Not Take"... It just feels wrong, and I really want to take it.
#26 Old 02-13-2010, 03:54 PM

Waikikamukau, who's saying you can't post in an old thread?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#27 Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I only pst in really old threads if I have something to add to the conversation or topic.

If I ad something like "Yeah I agree", then that's just pointless necromancy of a thread.

#28 Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I don't think they were talking about VB.
#29 Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I don't think they were talking about VB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Right. Not VB... I've done it here. I've been warned for it on other forums, though.
#30 Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Impeach the gangster

Long live this thread. May it never die!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page