Do you resurrect old threads? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

The only time I think resurrecting threads is dumb is when someone gives advice to a poster on a relationship or life issue from some stupid amount of time like five years ago. It makes you feel like posting "hey dickhead, the OP got divorced, them married, and divorced again since they wrote this thread".

m8itcanw8.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

The only time I think resurrecting threads is dumb is when someone gives advice to a poster on a relationship or life issue from some stupid amount of time like five years ago. It makes you feel like posting "hey dickhead, the OP got divorced, them married, and divorced again since they wrote this thread".

Not just relationship advice, either, but anything where someone is looking for assistance on a particular issue, which was probably resolved within days or weeks of the original thread. I recently had someone revive a thread I started 14 months ago on another forum, to which I was able to respond by telling them I moved past that question more than a year ago.

But other general discussions, where the advice might be useful to anyone searching for that information, I can see it. And I revive my own threads sometimes, just to follow up and let people know how certain things turned out.

--Fromper

#33 Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Nice attitude to have toward people who are so anxious to help someone that they fail to notice the date of a thread...

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#34 Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Nice attitude to have toward people who are so anxious to help someone that they fail to notice the date of a thread...

Yes, that's a good point.

However, if a thread is 5 years old, the person resurrecting it would have had to dig for it. And wouldn't it make sense that something you had to dig for is probably pretty old?

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#35 Old 02-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

However, if a thread is 5 years old, the person resurrecting it would have had to dig for it. And wouldn't it make sense that something you had to dig for is probably pretty old?

Or they googled it or searched for it because they are in a similar situation and failed to notice the date
#36 Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But we dig for lots of things on this site, or we get yelled at for not digging. When you do a search, you'll get lots of threads with the key words, even old ones. Before I read this, I didn't really even realise that there were dates on the threads, I just never looked. And, when I read Pixelle's comment, I felt like I was called a "dickhead" for that. People should be nice.
#37 Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Or they googled it or searched for it because they are in a similar situation and failed to notice the date

Well, sure everyone should give new folks some slack.

But for people who've been here for a while...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#38 Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, sure everyone should give new folks some slack.

But for people who've been here for a while...

I've been here a while, but had no idea until this week that this placed people firmly in the "dickhead" catagory. Ya learn something new everyday.
#39 Old 02-16-2010, 12:45 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I've been here a while, but had no idea until this week that this placed people firmly in the "dickhead" catagory. Ya learn something new everyday.

Well, I think that some people do tend to be dickheads, but you're not among them.

Nor is anyone by virtue of accidentally resurrecting an out of date thread, IMO.
#40 Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

BTW, I wasn't the person that said "dick head", nor did I indicate that I agree with that assessment.

As some have already said..

Resurrecting a thread to provide relevant information is fine, but to open the thread years after the OP has probably moved on/resolved the issue is a different story.

For example, I recently resurrected mu old thread about my adult sister living with our parents for most of her adult life because she is getting married and will be moving out. That's new and relevant.

But if I resurrected it just to say, I still hold a grudge, well that's not new and doesn't add anything to the conversation that already took place when the thread was originally started.

-nomad888
#41 Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Someone resurrected and old thread and a post turned up in my email . For the life of me , I couldn't remember posting/subscribing to that thread .

I opened the thread up and found I was the OP
#42 Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Before I read this, I didn't really even realise that there were dates on the threads, I just never looked. And, when I read Pixelle's comment, I felt like I was called a "dickhead" for that. People should be nice.

Woops, I see my Aussie colloquialisms are dropping me in the **** again.

Can you cut me some slack for cultural differences Treehugger cos in Australia it's very common for insulting terms like "ya dickhead", "ya *******" and ****er etc to be used in a friendly, lighthearted way as terms of endearment. Sorry if it caused anyone any offense cos none was meant at all!

Group hug!

m8itcanw8.com
#43 Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM

depends....if its important or the issue is important maybe....but probs not from like 5 or 6 years ago.
#44 Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I totally do. Especially if it's a situational update, new information, or a new question on the same topic.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#45 Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Well, I think that some people do tend to be dickheads, but you're not among them.

Nor is anyone by virtue of accidentally resurrecting an out of date thread, IMO.

aww thanks mlp (and now the others are going to wonder which ones are...lol)

Quote:

Woops, I see my Aussie colloquialisms are dropping me in the **** again.

Can you cut me some slack for cultural differences Treehugger cos in Australia it's very common for insulting terms like "ya dickhead", "ya *******" and ****er etc to be used in a friendly, lighthearted way as terms of endearment. Sorry if it caused anyone any offense cos none was meant at all!

Group hug!

Sorry I got my panties in a bunch. I can be over sensitive and it's hard to know how things are being said when reading them vs actually hearing them. Now when I read your posts, I will "hear" your Assie accent!

(I'll tell the mean voices in the head, who tell me I've done stupid things, to settle down.)
#46 Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Now when I read your posts, I will "hear" your Assie accent!

Assie? My accent isn't THAT bad.

m8itcanw8.com
#47 Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Assie? My accent isn't THAT bad.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! guess I wasn't over the dickhead comment...lol J/K I should never type pre-coffee!
#48 Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to call people dickheads too!

#49 Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes.
#50 Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Like a necromancer
#51 Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Yes.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#52 Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

laugh.gif

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#53 Old 08-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome. laugh.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#54 Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

:whack:

Aristede :p

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#55 Old 09-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Keep it alive.

Aristede and Werewolf Girl like this.
#56 Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

:jedi:

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#57 Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes I do. That's why I am resurrecting this one. tongue3.gif
60225 likes this.
#58 Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

25297d1309921005-intruder-recall-zombie-thread.jpg

vegan cyberpunk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page