Any lotion phobes here? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tofu-N-Sprouts

#1 Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I HATE lotion with a passion. Always have. It's greasy, squishy and smells HORRIBLE!

It's my kryptonite!!! Just thinking about it gives me the heebie-jeebies!

Plus, most of the stuff has hidden ingredients from pigs, cows, sheep, cats and dogs.

I can't be the only one....where are the other lotion phobes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I really can't stand it. It smells too strongly to me and I don't like being covered in oily gunk.

I have to use it sometimes though, especially in the winter. My skin gets SO dry. I just try to use the unscented kind. Shea butter smells okay, so that's what I have been using for the last few months.
#3 Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 PM

I am not a lotion phobe...I am allergic to most of them and cant use any that are scented....and yes sometimes I find them slimy and oily.....so I use plain aloe...and its awesome
#4 Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

There are lots of vegan brands of lotion that you can find at health food stores. Maybe that would help get rid of the heebie jeebies?

Also, some lotion is definitely oilier than others. Maybe it's a matter of finding the right type. That is, if you even need it, which you might not.
#5 Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I love lotion and chapstick and basically anything to keep my winter-dry skin from cracking so bad it bleeds. I don't like the greasy kinds, I like the kinds that soak in quickly, like a nice drink for my hands.

My boyfriend, though? Doesn't understand. He hasn't ever used lotion once in his life. Nor chapstick. Nor deodorant, for that matter! I'm not convinced he's all human. He was a Marine, works a tough physical job, is super-manly in every physical way... And yet he has never ever even tried deodorant. And he never smells bad, even after being too sick to get out of bed for a few days, or after working out! I'd smell like a gym locker if I didn't use deodorant and then worked out. He just smells like... Himself. Plus a little of that salty-wetness that comes with sweat, though he sweats very little. It's just not fair, I tell ya.

He has never gotten a blister from new shoes either.

Seriously, the guy is not human.
#6 Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I love lotion and chapstick and basically anything to keep my winter-dry skin from cracking so bad it bleeds. I don't like the greasy kinds, I like the kinds that soak in quickly, like a nice drink for my hands.

My boyfriend, though? Doesn't understand. He hasn't ever used lotion once in his life. Nor chapstick. Nor deodorant, for that matter! I'm not convinced he's all human. He was a Marine, works a tough physical job, is super-manly in every physical way... And yet he has never ever even tried deodorant. And he never smells bad, even after being too sick to get out of bed for a few days, or after working out! I'd smell like a gym locker if I didn't use deodorant and then worked out. He just smells like... Himself. Plus a little of that salty-wetness that comes with sweat, though he sweats very little. It's just not fair, I tell ya.

He has never gotten a blister from new shoes either.

Seriously, the guy is not human.

Weeiirrrdd.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#7 Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My skin's dry so it's often a necessary evil for me. However, once I put it on, I am afraid to touch anything... It's usually my hands and feet that need it too.
#8 Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Same here. My skin gets incredibly dry and cracky/bleedy in the winter. I need my lotion.
#9 Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Unscented is the only way to go. I LOVE lotion. I put it each time I wash my hands. I keep organic Shea Butter in my purse/backpack at all times!! I also have about 4 different body lotions at home. All organic, all uncented, none are greasy (unless you go overboard with the shea).
#10 Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister sent me some awesome vegan LUSH lotion. I am addicted to the stuff now.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#11 Old 01-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

My skin is good that I never have to use lotion.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#12 Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Lotion has always seemed kind of weird to me too. But I don't need it so it's not a problem.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#13 Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I like lotion but am more resistant to use it as my anatomy teacher told me all it does it rub the dead skin around in gook.

Ew.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#14 Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

I like lotion but am more resistant to use it as my anatomy teacher told me all it does it rub the dead skin around in gook.

Ew.

That really IS just about all it does. It doesn't "soak in", if it did, we'd puff up to giant balls of water when we went swimming - but the oils and waxes coat the fine cracks in your skin and part of it evaporates (or wipes off...). So yes, it does make dry skin feel better and coat it so that it can heal, and so that whatever moisture is already IN your skin (from drinking water and keeping your body hydrated) doesn't try out so much - but the whole "absorbing" thing is pretty bogus.

Oh I can SO RELATE though!! Yes, it skeeves me out a LOT too, except for ONE particular unscented brand with Shea Butter and that's all I'll use. Mainly on my heels and feet that get very dry and rough because I wear Birkinstocks with no socks year round...

Really icks me out when people around me glop on scented - even LIGHTLY scented stuff... blergghh, can't STAND it... now I've given myself the heebie-jeebies...
#15 Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

You can get unscented vegan stuff that isn't greasy. Just sayin'.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm not exactly lotion-phobic, but I've never used it. I didn't use deodorant either- I just washed- but it turned out that just washing wasn't cutting it.

Quote:

I hope you've never had a heel fissure. I started getting them about 10 years ago. The thick skin on the back of your heel- not on the bottom- starts cracking, sometimes from the inside layers first it feels like to me. Eventually it's like a fairly deep, scabbed-over cut that's sore when you walk. It happens in the winter, at least that's when I get them.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#17 Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I just don't like the feel of it.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like the smell of Shea butter?
#18 Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I'm not exactly lotion-phobic, but I've never used it. I didn't use deodorant either- I just washed- but it turned out that just washing wasn't cutting it.

I hope you've never had a heel fissure. I started getting them about 10 years ago. The thick skin on the back of your heel- not on the bottom- starts cracking, sometimes from the inside layers first it feels like to me. Eventually it's like a fairly deep, scabbed-over cut that's sore when you walk. It happens in the winter, at least that's when I get them.

Heel fissures and cracks are often the result of a fungus. Have your Doctor CHECK THEM OUT!!! And keep the skin smoothed way down around the area with a pumice stone and use tea tree oil or an anti-fungal application from your doc.
Tom likes this.
#19 Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Heel fissures and cracks are often the result of a fungus. Have your Doctor CHECK THEM OUT!!! And keep the skin smoothed way down around the area with a pumice stone and use tea tree oil or an anti-fungal application from your doc.

Whoa! I didn't know heel fissures were fungus-caused. I'm due for my annual check-up shortly, so I'll ask my physician about that. I only ever get them in the winter so I thought it was something environmental.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#20 Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Whoa! I didn't know heel fissures were fungus-caused. I'm due for my annual check-up shortly, so I'll ask my physician about that. I only ever get them in the winter so I thought it was something environmental.

Not *always* but they can be, and it's not something Dr's tend to check for or think about - sometimes they'll pass it off as dry skin without taking your problem too seriously - but if they're really painful and uncomfortable, pursue the issue... In the winter our feet tend to be inside shoes more,(where there's lots of lovely bacteria and less room to "air out" especially if it's a synthetic material that doesn't "breathe" so well - NOT advocating leather shoes, just sayin'...) and when feet are OUT of shoes during the winter, usually the air is much dryer... all of the above adding to any tendencies you might have towards cracked skin...
#21 Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I had no idea about fungus either... I DO get heel fissures, but mine happen twice a year. Sometimes in the winter, when ALL of me dries, cracks, and bleeds... And sometimes in the summer when I am barefoot 24/7 and the feet get such touch callouses that if I don't keep using a pumice stone, they will eventually crack.

Right now, the backs of my hands are raw and chapped, and I've had lotion on twice today already. Ergh.

My hands are bad all year though, because I have to wash and sterilize them over and over and over because of work.
#22 Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't need lotion as I have quite oily skin and it never gets dry. But sometimes I like to pamper myself a bit with it. Has to be Lush for me - no greasiness, easily absorbed and hyou only need a tiny bit - justifies the higher price as it lasts a lot longer than any other I think x
#23 Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Not *always* (heel fissures caused by fungus), but they can be, and it's not something Dr's tend to check for or think about - sometimes they'll pass it off as dry skin without taking your problem too seriously...

Interesting. Actually, a weird twist on this: I only get them once a year (if that), but if I remember right, it was always on my right heel- never the left. Anyway, it's clearing up by itself and by the time my GP can get me in for my checkup it will probably be gone. Maybe they can do a fungus test anyway.

Semicharmed- I'm sorry about that. Mine aren't very painful but they're unpleasant enough to deal with only once a year or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page