Criteria for saying you've been to a country? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: When have you actually visited a country?
When you set foot in it for any length of time 0 0%
Have spent 24 hours and have left the airport 1 100.00%
At least a couple of days and nights in several different places in that country 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 AM
DNK
Veggie Regular

Nice to make it loose for bragging rights, but I'd say at least spend a few days. A month+ is preferred. And I don't count staying in a resort as really being in a country. I mean, I went to Jamaica, but outside of a waterfall and some cab rides all I saw was a swimming pool and small stretch of beach.

But I insist on saying I've been to Kuwait after paying for a hotel room I never got to use and a visa that got me 5ft out the door. Damn you, lost sense of time! It's dark at 11AM there because of how far south it is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I definitely agree with out of the airport, long enough to wander around, eat something and get the general feel of the place. At least 4-6 hours minimum.

I spent about 7 hours in Kussadasi, Turkey once. Shopped in the market, drank tea with merchants, fielded a few marriage proposals, toured a castle, had a meal. I don't think I really got to see the country, but I've definitely been there.

I'm with this.

Also, since I'm in the US and can't get to foreign countries as easily as the rest of you, I'm going to replace "countries" with "states". I live in Oregon, and I've taken a day trip to Washington. Therefore, I have been to that state, even though I didn't stay the night.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#33 Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

I'm with this.

Also, since I'm in the US and can't get to foreign countries as easily as the rest of you, I'm going to replace "countries" with "states". I live in Oregon, and I've taken a day trip to Washington. Therefore, I have been to that state, even though I didn't stay the night.

Why can't you get to other countries from the USA? There are hundreds of flights leaving everyday from the US.
#34 Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

One of my resolutions for this year is to up my country count by visiting as many countries as I can. But I want to do it properly. For example I've changed planes in Kuwait but have not left the airport. Conversely I've been to Dubai airport half a dozen times and have spend many many hours there but never left the airport. Neither of these I actually count. Am planning an overland journey to Tallinn that will incorporate ferries and overnight trains through Denmark, Sweden and Finland but will I be able to count this countires in if I just pass through on a train? These are the kinds of questions I'm trying to answer.

You could always have different catagories for different types of visits.
#35 Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Banned

i think you can say you've been to a country after you've had sex with one of the citizens. not a prostitute, just a good old fashioned pick up .
#36 Old 01-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

i think you can say you've been in a country if you've never left the airport IF you SAY "I was in France for a stopover once" or something. Otherwise, I agree with those who say you have to leave the airport and experience something. it doesn't matter how many hours you're there, though. a lot can happen in a few hours.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#37 Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

You should have subjected at least as many as 8 natives to some projectile vomit before you can correctly say you've visited the country.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#38 Old 01-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why can't you get to other countries from the USA? There are hundreds of flights leaving everyday from the US.

Yes, also to go to those countries it costs A LOT of money. I don't have enough money to travel.

#39 Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

Yes, also to go to those countries it costs A LOT of money. I don't have enough money to travel.

Actually, it costs less for you to travel to Canada than it does for me to travel to Ireland (the nearest country to me). It also costs less for you to travel to Canada than it does for me to travel to France, or Belgium. Its also not that expensive for you to get to Mexico whereas it would cost me hundreds to get to Mexico. So, its all relative. Travel costs are the same all over.
#40 Old 01-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually, it costs less for you to travel to Canada than it does for me to travel to Ireland (the nearest country to me). It also costs less for you to travel to Canada than it does for me to travel to France, or Belgium. Its also not that expensive for you to get to Mexico whereas it would cost me hundreds to get to Mexico. So, its all relative. Travel costs are the same all over.

That is true, but the countries I want to visit aren't in North America (with the exception of Canada). It would cost you hundreds to get to Mexico, as it would cost me thousands to get to Europe or Asia.

#41 Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNK View Post

And I don't count staying in a resort as really being in a country. I mean, I went to Jamaica, but outside of a waterfall and some cab rides all I saw was a swimming pool and small stretch of beach.

i count it. the first time i went to vegas i never left the resort for nearly 2 weeks. altho i realise that being holed up in a vegas resort for that time is not an accurate representation of what the u.s. is actually like as a whole [or something i recommend.lol], its still a visit to the u.s. regardless.
#42 Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Banned

Here's a vote for 'it depends' from The World's Most Travelled Person':

Beyond the attempt to quantify all the world's remotest corners, there are also ongoing qualitative arguments, mostly about what is meant by the word "visit". Some travellers claim you must spend a night in a place; some argue it is enough to visit a lavatory there; "others," Veley suggests, somewhat wearily, "will say you have to sleep on a park bench or do it for less than $10 to make it real. And some people believe you must have cocktails at Annabelle's or wherever…" Veley has attempted to bring some order to this area, too. Just touching down while on a plane is not enough; Most Traveled People requires a photograph or a passport stamp or a credit card receipt. He recently, he says, personally defined the minimum requirements of what constitutes a "landing" on the North Sea island of Rockall (of shipping forecast fame).

He'd had a go at Rockall once before, with his friend, the clubbable castaway Ben Fogle, but the weather had been too tricky and they had turned their sailboat back. This time, with a different group, he set off from Benbecula, and it was beautiful, calm sailing for two days. When they got to Rockall, however, even in those perfect conditions, it was not clear exactly how they might land. "The swell is 7 metres, maybe," Veley recalls, "and the rock has sheer sides all round with powerful eddies beneath them." Veley and his fellow travellers circled the rock for half a day, waiting for a change in the sea. "We eventually decided to have a go at one corner that was a bit more craggy and had a skirt of thick kelp attached to it," he says. Among the crew was a photographer from Stornoway, who donned a wetsuit and jumped on a surfboard. "He timed the swell, grabbed the kelp, found the crag and hauled himself up," Veley says, "and we were all cheering wildly." Then it was Veley's turn. It took him ages to get the wetsuit on. The swell seemed even wilder. He plunged in. "I found the kelp, timed the surge, grabbed the crag, stood up on Rockall for maybe one and a half seconds before the next wave crashed over and knocked me straight back into the sea. But that counts, for sure…"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserve...avelled-person
#43 Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

If you've left the airport and been there more than 24 hours.
#44 Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't count lay-overs in airports. And call me a snob, but I don't count driving through a country in a day and spending most of that "trip" sleeping off a hangover on a bus a la 37463864 countries in 12 days Contiki tours.
#45 Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not so bad to get to Canada or Mexico from the US, yeah. But past that, it's tough.

When I lived in Spain, it was amazingly cheap for me to travel in Europe. I got from Granada, Spain to Galway, Ireland, for 21 Euros each way (I don't think the airport was in Galway, but I forget where it was - whatever the closest airport to there is). I got roundtrip tickets from Madrid to Athens for just under 310 euros. I mean, yeah, technically that's "hundreds," but for what it is, I think it's quite cheap! Considering my roundtrip airfare from Osaka airport (Japan) to Los Angeles cost more than a thousand dollars... From Japan to India was more than a thousand dollars, too, and that's technically the same continent.
#46 Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNK View Post

Nice to make it loose for bragging rights, but I'd say at least spend a few days. A month+ is preferred. And I don't count staying in a resort as really being in a country. I mean, I went to Jamaica, but outside of a waterfall and some cab rides all I saw was a swimming pool and small stretch of beach.

But I insist on saying I've been to Kuwait after paying for a hotel room I never got to use and a visa that got me 5ft out the door. Damn you, lost sense of time! It's dark at 11AM there because of how far south it is...

I have to admit to having no idea what you're talking about with Kuwait, but I'd say you've been to Jamaica.

I don't think a month+ is reasonable. I've been to a lot of countries, and besides the 3 I've lived in, I've never been in one for a month. Even a few days... I mean, it's nice to be able to do that, but I'd still say I've been to France, for example, and I spent, in two trips to Paris, a combined 2.5 days there. Technically it's a few days, yeah, but I doubt it meets your criteria. But I've been there!
#47 Old 03-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ I managed to get a couple of airfares with Easyjet and Ryan Fart for one pound or one euro cent and just ended up paying the taxes. Of course they were horrible budget flights with all their hidden costs and went to out--of-the-way airports so you ended up paying more to get a shuttle into town, but I wish we had that kind of competition here in Aus. I was excited to get a return trip Melb - Darwin for $400 and that was just because I flew on really unpopular days.
#48 Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

This thread reminds me of sci-fi (Star Trek in particular). They orbit a planet and visit a few places on one small area, they then say they have visited the planet.

What really makes a visit? Shopping? That seems a bit odd.... seeing the sights? You could do that (depending on the "sights") from a train or airplane while moving and never setting foot in the country. Talking to the people? Only if you speak the same language (know the others/etc).... seeing things that only that country has that no other place has, nor may ever--that requires being on the ground to appreciate? That might be a bit closer.

If someone went to England and said they ate, stayed in a hotel, and did not do much else, I would wonder why they wasted the money going. Or if someone went to Australia and stayed in the city, away from the water.... or other similar things (like not seeing museums/etc).
#49 Old 03-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you need to leave the airport, and spend atleast a few hours there. Otherwise I could say I've been to Hong Kong, when I havn't, I've spent a few hours in the airport lol.
#50 Old 03-07-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

It's not so bad to get to Canada or Mexico from the US, yeah. But past that, it's tough.

When I lived in Spain, it was amazingly cheap for me to travel in Europe. I got from Granada, Spain to Galway, Ireland, for 21 Euros each way (I don't think the airport was in Galway, but I forget where it was - whatever the closest airport to there is). I got roundtrip tickets from Madrid to Athens for just under 310 euros. I mean, yeah, technically that's "hundreds," but for what it is, I think it's quite cheap! Considering my roundtrip airfare from Osaka airport (Japan) to Los Angeles cost more than a thousand dollars... From Japan to India was more than a thousand dollars, too, and that's technically the same continent.

Pah. I just read MrF's original comment here, but I don't find that to be true for the most part. Growing up in Michigan, I could get to Canada for about 1/4 tank of gas, but that's so easy for those who don't live in the border States. I can drive to France for maybe 1/2 tank of gas (or petrol, rather) here...not too much difference. I can fly to most countries in Europe for £60 or less, along with Morocco, Tunisia, and Dubai if I caught a sale. The rough equivalent of 100 bucks would likely not get me to Mexico from America, unless I lived in the Southwest. Granted, I'm talking about flying/departing from London, whereas MrF may be thinking of Wales, but still.

Additionally, I think the difference in culture is far, far more pronounced between say, Spain and England than Canada and the US (having travelled fairly extensively through both countries). Mexico has some more pronounced differences, obviously, based on language and socio-economic levels, but again, I think you could find that in Europe if you looked for it.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#51 Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

To answer the original question: you have to leave the airport for a few hours and walk around the country/state/provience (depending on where you are).

To Midnight Angel--I've been to British Columbia and Victoria Island...Here are some special deals from hellobc.com. Drive up for a day. If you don't want to drive, take Amtrak. It's a lot of fun, and, believe me, worth it.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#52 Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post

I don't think it matters. I know people in the military who were stationed in foreign countries for a year or more and hardly ever left the military installation. They shopped on base, ate at McDonalds on base, saw American movies on base, sent their kids to school on base, and hung out with their fellow soldiers on base. If you take two steps across a border, you have been to another country. What matters more than a technical definition is not how many borders you've crossed with your feet, but how many horizons you've expanded in your mind.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it doesn't matter how many places you can claim to have visited, only the experiences you treasure.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#53 Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Only once you have impregnated (or been impregnated by) a local can you say you have visited that country.

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#54 Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Pah. I just read MrF's original comment here, but I don't find that to be true for the most part. Growing up in Michigan, I could get to Canada for about 1/4 tank of gas, but that's so easy for those who don't live in the border States. I can drive to France for maybe 1/2 tank of gas (or petrol, rather) here...not too much difference. I can fly to most countries in Europe for £60 or less, along with Morocco, Tunisia, and Dubai if I caught a sale. The rough equivalent of 100 bucks would likely not get me to Mexico from America, unless I lived in the Southwest. Granted, I'm talking about flying/departing from London, whereas MrF may be thinking of Wales, but still.

Additionally, I think the difference in culture is far, far more pronounced between say, Spain and England than Canada and the US (having travelled fairly extensively through both countries). Mexico has some more pronounced differences, obviously, based on language and socio-economic levels, but again, I think you could find that in Europe if you looked for it.

Actually it costs a lot more than £60 to fly somewhere in europe as you have to fly back, too. I've just been researching flights to Paris and Munich and its over a £100 return for one person on both of those flights. And those cheap flights were only cheap because of advanced booking and travelling on 'off days'.

My friends back in CA travel more than me lately: weekend in Vancouver, a week in Costa Rica, Mexico, Belize etc. These are all short hops at bargain prices and if one does their research on discount tickets and books in advance and travels on off days one can get a cheap flight just as we do in the EU.

Sure in Europe countries are physically closer together, rail/bus/flights are all competing against each other so there are more travel options and great bargains can be had but the original statement 'International travel is too expensive in the USA' I would say is incorrect.
#55 Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Heh. I too, have been doing a lot of hunting. I have some unexpected holiday and Easter coming up. Flying the budget airlines, I'd stick with my 60 quid marker (save over Easter, half-term, etc.) I've been looking at the south of France, Barcelona, Portugal, Croatia, Slovenia, Morocco and Crete. (I miss the sun) and all were under that price doing EasyJet. Maybe I just have the cheap gene?

I think we've settled on Wales for Easter though, actually.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#56 Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Heh. I too, have been doing a lot of hunting. I have some unexpected holiday and Easter coming up. Flying the budget airlines, I'd stick with my 60 quid marker (save over Easter, half-term, etc.) I've been looking at the south of France, Barcelona, Portugal, Croatia, Slovenia, Morocco and Crete. (I miss the sun) and all were under that price doing EasyJet. Maybe I just have the cheap gene?

I think we've settled on Wales for Easter though, actually.

You're better at sniffing out a bargain than I am, that's for sure. Mind you, I have to fly out of Manchester or Liverpool so the choice is a lot lower and there's more people competing for those cheap seats. I do miss London for the travel links.

If you're coming up to Wales, consider stopping by my town. VB'rs love it https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...k-from-England
#57 Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Beginner

i think if you've set foot in a (non airport) part of the country then you've been there. i was in spain for a month and we popped over the border to france for lunch one day, not a big city or anything, just the closest town over the border. our passports weren't stamped or anything because nobody stopped us on the road but I would say that after that meal I'd been to France. And having just gotten back from a trip around europe I definitely reccomend trains for cheap travel! We even took an overnight train and it was so convenient.
#58 Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a day trip with my mother to Mexico when I was like 13. That mostly qualifies. We where in Cali for the Rose Bowl and drove through the state into Mexico. I don't remember much but I still have the blanket that I got there.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#59 Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

To answer the original question: you have to leave the airport for a few hours and walk around the country/state/provience (depending on where you are).

To Midnight Angel--I've been to British Columbia and Victoria Island...Here are some special deals from hellobc.com. Drive up for a day. If you don't want to drive, take Amtrak. It's a lot of fun, and, believe me, worth it.

I'll even offer a free guided tour if you end up in the Okanagan Valley! I love showing tourists around, because I was fortunate enough to have kind locals show me around their home countries and towns in past, and that beats any guided tour IMO.

(BTW it's called Vancouver Island :P )

Back on topic: I think it has to involve getting out of the airport and interacting to qualify as a visit.
#60 Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

(BTW it's called Vancouver Island :P )

Ooops, I stand corrected. (I still think it's beautiful, though).

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page