What made you see the light? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

For me it was punk rock, the early 80s.

An anarchopunk band of the time called flux of pink indians, and their song sick butchers;

I used to graze in a field,

I used to breathe - I used to be alive

Did chew the grass in the field

Could see and hear the world around me

See and fear man around me

Had a virgin skin but now sold in supermarkets

Now studded blankets

Used to hear the cars and the birds going by

And the people going by, they were my destiny

They were my reason, my purpose in this field

For their plates their cold bodies their car seat covers

My soul for your soles of shoes

You may like my taste you may like my warmth

It may say in the bible that you can kill me

...but I dont want to die

You try to stroke me in a field then go home

And eat me as your meal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAqdzNhzeE

There were countless bands from then on in the punk scene that had a very strong a/r message. It had a massive impact on the a/r movement, more than anybody here could imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt1Jy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ_5P...eature=related
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

For me it was an English course I took in 11th grade called "Utopias".

Ironically, all the books we read were about Distopias.

Brave New World

Animal Farm

Lord of the Flies

Etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distopia

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#3 Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

The documentary Earthlings. I was also stunned by the punk band Rise Against, both their music videos "Ready To Fall" as well as "Prayer of the Refugee"...
#4 Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

My very first glimpse of animal cruelty was from my mother. There was a "pound" on the other side of town. It was so tiny and stuck behind a house and way back behind huge trees. The dogs and cats that came in were never treated and were kept in one large area. Dogs injured from fighting were left in there and things like that. The person in charge lived there in the home but was never home. You could literally walk in there and dump a dog or take one if you wanted. It stunk and was horrible. My mom used to walk in there and just take a puppy or kitten that looked ill and would nurse them back to health and find a good home for them. I used to ride my bike there after school and feed them. At that age I have no idea how they used to euthanize. My mom had called the city numerous times and no one did anything. Thankfully, that place is gone and the new shelter is large and the animals are cared for. The next thing that paved my journey was finding a magazine of my mother's from the National Anti-Vivisection Society back when they had "graphic" covers. THere was a chimp in a restraining device that was being tortured right on the cover. There were tubes all over and I'll never forget the look on his face. I remember thinking how terrible can a human be? I thought that it must be an isolated case. I was wrong, and I joined NAVS. PeTA contacted me in 1989 I think. Back then the magazine was all black and white. But in there I saw calves getting their face branded and some pictures of dairy calves with those access gloves inserted into their stomach. I was mortified. The concept of actually eating an animal, I mean the thoughts behind that were new to me. I really think those 3 things did a whole lot way back when.
#5 Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Not exactly sure.....I never ate much meat at all my Mom always told me I hid it in cabinets and napkins and anywhere I could.....so when I was 15 and told my Mom I was going Veg she told me....What Took Ya So Long???......LOL
#6 Old 12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Good question, Stanie.

I have to say it was a culmination of things over time. After a few false starts, I woke up one day and said, "I'm not going to eat meat anymore."

Someone, at another message board I go to, had a signature that quoted Zig Zigler and it something along the lines of "Motivation is like bathing, you have to actively do it every day" or something like that.

I knew if I was going to stay motivated, I would have to actively do it every day and that is when I went looking for, and found, VB.
#7 Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It was when I reached and put my finger on the rocker switch on the wall socket and flicked it in a downwards motion.

* There's always one smartarse isn't there!

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

For me, it was punk rock/hardcore as well. I first heard the song Cats and Dogs by Gorilla Biscuits:

o Cats And Dogs :

Man's best friend is a beautiful and affectionate an ideal pet.

Cats are the same, we make up their names and our love for them is real.

Listen up, I gotta ask it, how can we be so cruel?

You say you care, that's a lie.

My true compassion is for all living things

and not just the ones who are cute so I do what I can.

I wanna save lives and I've got a plan.

Under the table he'll eat your dinner like the veggies we can't stand.

What kind meal would he make? We don't want to ask it.

Tradition is all that keeps him alive.

Listen up, I gotta ask it, how can we be so cruel?

You say you care, that's a lie.

My true compassion is for all living things

and not just the ones who are cute so I do what I can.

I wanna save lives and I've got a plan.

etc...............

Then I continued to think about it with lyrics by Youth of Today and made the change. Conflict, Flux, Nausea, Antischism, etc. helped fuel my anger to continue it.

The Big Bad.
#9 Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I never liked meat and just the more I thought about the idea of eating animals, which I'd always had an interest and compassion for, the more it made sense to be meat free. I wasn't very proactive but after seeing meet your meat I realized it was something I needed to do now. I was intimidated by my parents being unsupportive but the more I researched, and seeing my vegetarian friend, I just finally said screw you I'm done eating meat. It was particularly a story about a downed cow that impacted me.

I'm still transitioning but for veganism, it's just more research. The more I learn the more empowered I feel to change my lifestyle.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#10 Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

mine is a weird story i only made the connection between meat and dead animals late in life when i was 11.

One day in fire mountain i ordered a ( shiver ) well done steak ( i hate to think about this ) but it came to me raw and i asked my father why there was blood on it. And he told me becaus it was a cow!! i freaked out screaming saying they killed it what why would you do that, omg, I mean i was really freaking out in the middle of the restrant with everyone staring at me i kept on saying omg im a murder how could i do this. It took me a while to clam down but after that day i never touched it.
#11 Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Beginner

I was at Burger King with my friend who had been Man-Challenged (teenage boys. What can you do?) to go vegetarian for a month by another one of our friends. He had a veggie burger, and I had one, too, in support of said Man-Challenge. Being an inquisitve soul, I decided to look up the ingredients on the magical Interwebs, which inevitably lead to some vegetarian/vegan-themed websites. "I wonder what they have to say." I said. "WATCH THIS VIDEO." said vegetarian/vegan-themed website. "OKAY!" said Kit.

About an hour and a half later, I said "Never again." and haven't touched anything animal ever since.
#12 Old 12-12-2009, 12:47 AM
mlp
Banned

I was spending a quiet Sunday afternoon with my cats and dogs, thinking about how much they meant to me, when the thought struck me that pigs, who are considered to be at least as intelligent as cats and dogs, must have every bit as much individual personality as my cats and dogs. I never ate pork after that day. A couple of weeks later, I was waiting to pull out of a gas station, and the side of a cattle truck was right in front of me. I was looking into those faces, and knew exactly to what they were headed. I never ate beef again. Shortly after, I stopped eating poultry, then fish, then shellfish. That was 20+ years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page