Black Friday shopping - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure if countries besides the U.S. do a black friday type day, but for all you Americans who brave the stores, where are you going first? Also, how early are you going?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

My local bike shop is having a sale, so I might swing by there. That is as brave as I get on Black Friday!
#3 Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I am doing the online Black Friday thing. Bought all my Christmas gifts that way last year and it was totally worth it in saved time and energy during the most hectic time of the year.
#4 Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not brave enough so I probably won't be doing any shopping.
#5 Old 11-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's kinda crazy but I admit I'll go in to some stores way after the black friday hours and the crowds and luck out in finding some $4 appliances still in stock and at that price. It's amazing how dead the stores get later on in the evening on Black Friday. Everyone's probably at home sleeping after getting up at 3am or whatever to wait in the insanely long lines!
#6 Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 PM

I dont shop on Black Friday....I only did once as a favor for my Mom but never again.
#7 Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

No only no, I won't do any shopping on BF, but...well, you probably can guess the rest of it. Our family is so big (my parents have 4 kids, one is married and has 2 step daughter and a step granddaughter, another is married and has 2 sons)--I just buy for the kids, small and flat gifts (books, etc.) And a white elephant for our New Year's trip. I tend to do my shopping in August when it's less crowded and hectic.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I won't get within 1000 feet of a big-box store on most days of the year. Black Friday is one of the few days of the year you can be damn certain I won't even be within a mile of one unless one happens to be close to an expressway I'm on.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 11-26-2009, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going shopping on Friday, but not with the early birds. I will go later in the day...I will miss all the 'super specials' but they still have really good buys later on and the crazy crowds are usually gone. Since I don't have to work, I figure it's no different going later in the day than going on the weekend. I am interested in cyber Monday, however.....
#10 Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm just going to Joann's and buying cheap yarn and fabric to keep me crafting for a while.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 AM

I don't set foot anywhere NEAR a store on Black Friday. It's just not worth the hassle.

Becca

#12 Old 11-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm just going to Joann's and buying cheap yarn and fabric to keep me crafting for a while.

Joann's!

We'll probably go to the area's largest mall, get coffee, and watch the hub-bub. It's an outdoor mall, so in nice weather, it can be a lot of fun to people watch there. I may venture into a few stores, but I won't go early, and I won't try to finish anything.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#13 Old 11-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

We have Boxing Day sales. Same thing, though. I generally won't go, either, I dislike the sort that sort of insane, out of control consumer greed. I don't think 5% off a cheap, sweat shop shirt is worth trampling someone to death over.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I will be working. 3:45-1
#15 Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it the same sort of thing as Boxing Day?
#16 Old 11-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont go shopping.

Buy nothing day.

I hate the crowds and hate how violent people get over sales on complete ****.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#17 Old 11-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

If I weren't flat broke, I can guarantee i would be at Office Max in the morning.

However, it looks like I'll be celebrating Buy Nothing Day by default...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#18 Old 11-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I dont go shopping.

Buy nothing day.

I hate the crowds and hate how violent people get over sales on complete ****.

I agree with this. I haven't done the Black Friday thing in many many years. I use to have to work that day... retail sux!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#19 Old 11-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I agree with this. I haven't done the Black Friday thing in many many years. I use to have to work that day... retail sux!

Only thing I buy is like beers.

I think of the shoppers (well in general) as zombies. Instead of brains they chat "stuff".

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#20 Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

In case anyone is interested in online shopping...I got some great deals with free shipping, after I came home from the mall, without any gifts because I couldn't be bothered waiting on the long lines. Some stores were so crowded we walked in and walked right back out. I think the online sales are going through to Monday. I'm practically done and I didn't even have to get up from my computer!
#21 Old 11-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I barely go shopping even when it's calm.

I Love shops when they're completely empty. Like on New year's day, around 5pm.

#22 Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

In case anyone is interested in online shopping...I got some great deals with free shipping, after I came home from the mall, without any gifts because I couldn't be bothered waiting on the long lines. Some stores were so crowded we walked in and walked right back out. I think the online sales are going through to Monday. I'm practically done and I didn't even have to get up from my computer!

Yeah, all the online sales are going thru Monday, and there will likely be even better deep discounts on Monday (Cyber Monday)

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page