Dumpster Diving - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Not a usual habit of mine, but this morning I was walking Gracie and noticed one of those window cat hammock things in the dumpster, upon closer inspection, there were two of them, and both like new! So I grabbed them up and intalled one already, much to the delight of Princess Sylvie. Have any of you ever found anything this way, or am I turning into a real freak? LOL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I've gone dumpster diving for breads, bagels, pitas, etc. A small bakery near my house throws out hundreds of loaves, totally wrapped up and packaged behind at LEAST two layers of plastic. I know a lot of people would have a problem eating something out of a dumpster, but all packaged and everything, I don't mind at all!
#3 Old 01-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

:: peers out of dumpster:: nothin good here
#4 Old 01-01-2004, 11:02 AM

I friend of mine here was telling me about that. How a lot of places throw out things that are brand new and still in the package. I think i am now going to have to try and check a few just to see whats really being thrown out.

BTW, veggrl, that thing is awesome you found.
#5 Old 01-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

There is a grocery store here that "donates" its throw aways to a local church my friend goes too. Stores have to throw things out by a certain date, but most of the time, the stuff is just fine. I have acquired a few items this way, not bad at all.
#6 Old 01-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh and if kitty loves the sling.. great find, mine love those things, but I have no place to put it.
#7 Old 01-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

video king here used to throw away old movies and posters so i used to dumpster dive for that.

and i also did it in nyc a few times at this awesome bakery.

like Nirvana19105 said. its all packaged and stufff.

FalafelsRule i think walmart scraps alot of stuff. but there dumpsters are watched by cameras and usualy locked
#8 Old 01-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Pip
Veggie Regular

Good find! I haven't done dumpster diving, but I've been in Boston right after all the college kids move out of the dorms. Everyone drives around and finds some great stuff, b/c the students ditch everything they don't want on the sidewalk for trash pickup.
#9 Old 01-01-2004, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonelessbeef View Post

FalafelsRule i think walmart scraps alot of stuff. but there dumpsters are watched by cameras and usualy locked

Yes, because you wouldn't want the homeless people to find something to eat.
#10 Old 01-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My dad picks up all sorts of things. Peole throw out major stuff like lawn mowers and snow blowers that just need one part replaced. My dad is a mechanic and knows how to get the parts, so he hasn't bought new mowers or snow blowers for ages. I live in an area with a lot of apartments rented by university students and at the end of the semesters a lot of them move out leaving all kinds of stuff. I got a brand new crock pot and other stuff this way. I could get way more if I drove around in a pickup.
#11 Old 01-01-2004, 12:46 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Yeah skips are great- done film props that way. My found some great antque cameras once. I've mentioned before about the shop I work in- we throw out loads of food. They have started spraying it with blue dye and locking the bins. People had rooted in the bins- and the shop gets the blame for the mess that is left. One good thing is the shop has started reducing food on its sell by date- means the amount of wasted food has gone down!

You can't beat getting something for nothing,

K
#12 Old 01-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll pick something out of the trash as long as it's not nasty-trash. I wouldn't eat food though from a dumpster, that's just where I draw the line for myself. I like finding household thing and such though. People throw away really cool things. A friend of mine found an 5x8 maroon chenille rug in a dumpster from Pottery Barn. He knew to check there because his girlfriend had worked at one, and they don't re-stock returns, things get tossed in the dumpster What a waste. It just sucks so many places have locks on the dumpsters
#13 Old 01-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

my cat would be jealous
#14 Old 01-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

No, and I would never wear used clothing, or buy anything used.

On that note, when I was very poor the dumpster "almost" became my diner a few times.
#15 Old 01-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I'd had a hammock like that for my toy poodle - she loved to look out the window - cool find.

I once had a roommate who walked down a bunch of alleys and behind big stores on her way home everyday - she came home with the most amazing "treasures." We weren't packrats and didn't hold on to most of it - we always found a home for it. You would be amazed at what people throw out.

We used to joke about dumpster diving behind jewelry stores - who knows what you might find!
#16 Old 01-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

A year and a half ago someone left a really crappy dresser outside by the dumpster below my window. It looked fine from 2 stores up, but once I got down to it I realized it had some special issues. It was two different shades of baby blue, and there was duct tape holding some parts of it together.

I sanded it, brought it to a hardware store and had some wood replaced, I painted it, and then put on new drawer knobs.

Now it's in my bedroom. Granted the drawers don't work too well, and 90% of my clothes are in my closet, but it makes me room look more complete.
#17 Old 01-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Yes, because you wouldn't want the homeless people to find something to eat.

Although that might be their reasoning, greedy homeless............ I think it has to do more with not wanting another lawsuit from someone who dived into their dumpster, banged their head, and called their lawyer.
#18 Old 01-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

I've gone dumpster diving for breads, bagels, pitas, etc. A small bakery near my house throws out hundreds of loaves, totally wrapped up and packaged behind at LEAST two layers of plastic.

What I totally don't understand is that with just a little bit of effort, they could give it away to the poor and homeless. If they are too busy to organize the giveaway, I'm sure a nearby charity would glad to pick up the stuff.

#19 Old 01-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Veggie Regular

My dad loves dumpster diving, but not for food stuffs. Just a couple weeks ago he found a life size wooden statue of a tiger next to a dumpster at my cousin's apartment! So, now I have a big wooden tiger in my room He's also found perfectly good bikes, machinery, and furniture.

ETA -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

Good find! I haven't done dumpster diving, but I've been in Boston right after all the college kids move out of the dorms. Everyone drives around and finds some great stuff, b/c the students ditch everything they don't want on the sidewalk for trash pickup.

Yeah, my Dad's done that at University of Michigan.
#20 Old 01-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

They also get tax benefits if they donate the food. So, if some place is throwing out a lot of food, suggest it to them to donate. However, a lot of shelters can't take expired food. They have the same health guidelines as any restaurant. The homeless shelter I work at gets a ton of bread donated that's almost expired, but they can't take food that's already been opened or that's past a certain expiration date. I don't know exactly what the guildelines state we can and can't serve to the homeless, but I do know that we get inspected by the local health department on a regular basis and our kitchen is listed in the newspaper right alongside all the other restaurants in the city whenever there is violation found (not that I can remember the last time we were fined).
#21 Old 01-02-2004, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

As a tie on to my last post, there are a lot of things that could be donated to charity that gets thrown away. A common item found in dumpsters is old carpet. And I'll tell you, animal shelters have a big need for used carpet pieces that they can cut up and use as bedding. It's just something you don't think about.. who's going to want your old carpet? dogs.
#22 Old 01-02-2004, 01:50 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

I've heard the same thing about the dumpsters near Vanderbilt University

here in Nashville. Much of the stuff is still perfectly good, but the kids can be bothered to ship it home.
#23 Old 01-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

They also get tax benefits if they donate the food. So, if some place is throwing out a lot of food, suggest it to them to donate. However, a lot of shelters can't take expired food. They have the same health guidelines as any restaurant. The homeless shelter I work at gets a ton of bread donated that's almost expired, but they can't take food that's already been opened or that's past a certain expiration date. I don't know exactly what the guildelines state we can and can't serve to the homeless, but I do know that we get inspected by the local health department on a regular basis and our kitchen is listed in the newspaper right alongside all the other restaurants in the city whenever there is violation found (not that I can remember the last time we were fined).

The shelters that give you write off here, have high standards, but like I stated before, my friends church takes "old" food from the grocery store, to help fellow paritioners, or those that need a hand out. Yes some food you can not eat with the expiration date, but you would be amazed that still keeps for a little longer. Also fresh made bread not sold through the day "day old" is a find for me at times. My friend sometimes gives me the salad mixes and such if it is not all spoiled. They get TONS of salad mix in the winter vs. the spring or summer. I think it is peoples mind set on how they eat.
#24 Old 01-02-2004, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooo I love dumpster diving, thrift stores, etc. My family gets a lot of furniture that way. I also like finding old books. I make purses out of the covers and old clothing can be washed and used as scrap fabric.

If you're crafty you can take something that looks horrible and turn it into something grand (The secret is sandpaper and modge podge ... ).
#25 Old 01-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand some people. They could package up what the don't need and call Value Village to pick it up.
#26 Old 01-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

When I moved to Mississippi my new apartment was smaller than my old on, I just calle dthe Good Will and they brought over a truck and picked up everything I couldnt keep.
#27 Old 01-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I had no idea you could call places and they would come pick it up? I always thought you had to drop it off?

I have two bags of clothes in my closet and probably 50 books that I would LOOOOVE to donate, but all I have is my bike, and I can't get anywhere to drop them off.

I'm waiting for the random day that a friend with a car is going to the Salvation Army so I can tag along to drop off my stuff.
#28 Old 01-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

the HFS i work for donates outdated food to the food bank (they come pick it up), and supplements to the local AIDS charity (they also come to pick up).

it works.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#29 Old 01-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Daddy has always been a dumpster diving man... He picks up raw materials (wood, abandoned window things, etc) and constructs things out of them. Neat! Cheap new furniture, yea?

Recently, some friends have turned me on to dumstering for food. I thought they were whacked, eating stale nasty food, but I've found some decent packaged stuff. Nearby bagel place has a nightly dump that makes a good (not moldy, but fresh) breakfast.
#30 Old 01-03-2004, 10:47 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

Does dumpster diving run in families- there seems to be a bit of a theme going on. I know my mum and I aren't afraid to have a look aorund...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page