Brisbane school girl suspended for head shaving - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 PM

This was a story that is ding its rounds of the local newspapers:

http://www.watoday.com.au/national/b...1110-i6qj.html

Main facts of the story;

Emily Pridham shaved her head to support her leukaemia-stricken father and to raise money for leukaemia suffers. She turned up to her school the next day and was sent home for not abiding by the school dress code.

Thoughts?

Check out: lovelifeontheside.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What bothers me about this is not so much that she was sent home on one day, but she won't be allowed back until her hair regrows to some length deemed acceptable for people with vaginas.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

The school is going to be in a big, big PR mess. Should be interesting to see how they spin this.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#4 Old 11-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

There are no words.
#5 Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

School administrators like zero-tolerance policies like that because it removes any obligation for them to think or make judgements. It also removes any hint of treating anyone differently. A better system is needed. I don't believe in a one-size-fits-all type of world.
#6 Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

if this was a mixed school and nobody was allowed to shave their head- male or female- as part of the dress code, there would probably be a damned sight less fuss.
#7 Old 11-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a screwed up country, but I hope the administrators get sued and get fired.
#8 Old 11-14-2009, 10:08 PM

Also the one of the things that annoys me was that it was a catholic school. To me this doesn't seem as though the administrators were setting a bad example to the students. This is how a complete nonacceptance of anyone remotely different to their ideal model is started from a young age.

Check out: lovelifeontheside.com
#9 Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I know this is totally outrageous and ridiculous (after all apparently there was nothing about head shaving in the dress policy so they don't have a leg to stand on - I'd feel differently otherwise). BUT the good thing is all the publicity this is bringing to the disease, and I think that is a good thing.
#10 Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

My brother was suspended (or threatened with suspension, not sure if it got that far) when he grew his hair too long. He was just lazy though. I'd have thought any decent human being would be able to an exception for this girl.
#11 Old 11-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Catholic school . . . .
#12 Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 AM

its probably no coincidence that this happened in queensland. they can sometimes be a bit old fashioned about some stuff in that state.
#13 Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I just took a squiz at their dress code.

Quote:
Hair must be tidy and appropriate to school uniform. Hair below collar length must be neatly tied back. Students with inappropriate hairstyles e.g colours not in the natural range, will be required to change them.

This seems a bit unfair cos it doesn't say anything about having hair that's too short.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 AM

i reckon they could get away with that under "inappropriate hairstyle" if they wanted to be *******s about it. but its not worth the bad publicity really is it.
#15 Old 11-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeh - pretty dumb move.

m8itcanw8.com
#16 Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to ask... but does that mean they'd suspend a student who had cancer or something if they did not have hair?
#17 Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

I have to ask... but does that mean they'd suspend a student who had cancer or something if they did not have hair?

They'd probably force the student to wear a wig, because at this school, having no hair is apparently offensive to look at. And probably a sin against God.

*this space not for sale*
#18 Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no words... only an action... facepalm.
#19 Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatofu View Post

It's a screwed up country, but I hope the administrators get sued and get fired.

How is Australia a screwed up country? I'd rather be in Australia than the US or UK.
#20 Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there a country in the world that isn't screwed up in some way? Humans are screwed up; It's pretty much the definition of homo sapien sapien.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#21 Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

They'd probably force the student to wear a wig, because at this school, having no hair is apparently offensive to look at. And probably a sin against God.

Do you know, I think that was brought up when I was dying my hair constantly as a teenager. I wanted to shave my head and ended up asking 'well, what if someones gets cancer?'. What you say about making them wear a wig sounds really familiar but I don't think it could be true. Perhaps that they'd be expected to wear a headscarf?

Well anyway, we saw a lot of teachers at our school forced into marriage to keep their jobs if they got pregnant. That's the kind of school it was. Not sure how rushing into marriage because of imminent baby then getting divorced a couple of years later is setting a good example for the girls.

(it was generally a really good school, I have fond memories, it was just ran by a few irrationals)
#22 Old 11-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

School administrators like zero-tolerance policies like that because it removes any obligation for them to think or make judgements. It also removes any hint of treating anyone differently. A better system is needed. I don't believe in a one-size-fits-all type of world.

Zero tolerance sounds fine on paper, but is a mess in the real world.
#23 Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

AAARGH.

School policies on what you look like always seem to be based on this preconception people have about teenagers, especially female ones, that everything we do to our bodies is designed to cheese off adults, and is reacted to accordingly.

Why do teachers have to make everything the students do about *them*? Even something as altruistic as shaving your head for charity? Jesus Harold Christ.
#24 Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

What bothers me about this is not so much that she was sent home on one day, but she won't be allowed back until her hair regrows to some length deemed acceptable for people with vaginas.

totally and this is insanity....just nuts....like she isnt going through enough already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page