Where would you move to? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Every few years it comes time for me to move on. I spent 97-99 in Montgomery, AL. 99-02 in Belgium. I moved here, Biloxi, MS in 02, and will move in 05. It seems a bit early to some, but I have to put in for jobs way in advance and usually we get notified 6 to 8 months out of our next assignment. Now, Im really fourtunate, my specialty gives me a good deal of input into my assignments. So anyway, I want to move somewhere I can build a house, live out in the country, but have access to a big city that's NOT in the bible belt. Probably out west somewhere, but anyway, I was kind of wondering where other people would like to (or not like to) live and why...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Alaska is beautiful! And it's out west! Ok, very NorthWest, but hey! (What is it that you do?)
#3 Old 12-29-2003, 03:44 PM

Ohio is cool.
#4 Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Ohio is cool.

Ummm....NO!

I'm just teasing, it's the Michigan in me!

Although speaking of MI, there's some great places (and people) there too!
#5 Old 12-29-2003, 03:49 PM

Go Buckeyes!
#6 Old 12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

#7 Old 12-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I am in the Air Force. We have bases all over. I was seriously considering Alaska. I really love the outdoors, Im just not sure if I could handle the -29 F !

I was born in Dayton, Ohio (yech). The love of my life (who is married to someone else lives in Ohio) Grrr. I do love columbus, though.

Does anyone on VB live in Alaska? Could I get Vegan stuff there at all?
#8 Old 12-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Terra lives in Alaska and has done nothing since I first "met" her online but try to convince others to go to Alaska, too.

Omaha has a base and you can live in the country and build your own house and the Omaha metro area is fairly big (half a mil, I think), but I don't think I could in good conscience recommend it to someone. Seems like people either love Omaha or hate it and I would feel very guilty if you got here and hated it. I'm not sure of the exact boundaries of the bible belt, so don't know if Omaha is in it or not. There's a pretty good music scene and an adequate number of bowling alleys. The Old Market area is cool, too. http://www.omahaoldmarket.com/ ETA: That website is really lame, but the pics on the front page are good. This site is better, but doesn't have cool pictures. http://www.oldmarketomaha.com/viewdi...9&catname=pubs
#9 Old 12-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I, someday, want to move to Alaska... but I hear it's really expensive to live there...
#10 Old 12-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, there's always the Puget Sound area... but only if you don't mind the rain. Because it rains often (but not that much in quantity - just frequency).

And it's beauuuuutiful!

I think there are Naval bases on the west of the sound, and AF & Army bases on the east side (where seattle & tacoma & various other little towns are). In the NW it is amazingly easy to live in the country yet be a 15 minute drive (or less) from a major metro area.

amy
#11 Old 12-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Florida! Move to Florida! Did I mention Florida? Move there! My most fav place on the planet!
#12 Old 12-29-2003, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually might move to Florida this summer...or Arizona... or nowhere...
#13 Old 12-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

If I had my druthers I would live in Israel, but that doesn't help you much. In America, I'd have to go with Boston (if it weren't so cold in the Summer), Louisiana, Tennessee or somewhere blue-grassy.

~Mollie~
#14 Old 12-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love to live in Hawaii... *_*

Or Alaska. *_*

And Veggrl, I love your avatar. I've read that book recently. ^^

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#15 Old 12-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been to Alaska in the summertime, and it is soooo fantastically beautiful! But I can't quite conceive of what it'd be like to spend a winter there...

Personally, I'd move back to Amsterdam in a heartbeat.
#16 Old 12-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I loved amsterdam, when I lived in Belgium I was only 20 clicks from Holland and I spent a tone of time there. I could just jump on a train and go anywhere there. And I never was afraid to travel alone anywhere there, unlike here in the US. If money were no object, Id be on the next train to the Netherlands and never look back. We do actually have troops there, but its tough to get an assignment there.

Hawaii is lovely, but I dont think Id be happy on such a tiny island for long. Though I think a year in Guam might be nice.

The base in Boston is on the base closure list. I was there once and really liked the area, but oh my it seemed expensive. Was I just in the touristy area??

Im leaning toward Alaska, Washington, Colorado, or something like that. I really love Northern Cali too, but its too expensive there too.

Thanks for the Omaha links, seems pretty.

I think this link is cool for seeing how expensive a place is: http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html
#17 Old 12-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

My bags are packed.Im ready to go!....northern Mich is great!....But this summer..St. Louis Mo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#18 Old 12-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Tell me about St Louis.
#19 Old 12-30-2003, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's a good link. I've been having thoughts of moving to San Francisco, but I don't know if I can afford to live there.
#20 Old 12-30-2003, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbivore View Post

That's a good link. I've been having thoughts of moving to San Francisco, but I don't know if I can afford to live there.

Yes you can, because you'll be living with me!!! I'll look after you Verby.

As long as you can find a decent full time job, and you don't have too many other bills besides rent, then it's not so hard once you learn to budget yourself. Basically, what I'm trying to say here, is that you get used to living on rice and peanut butter if ya gotsta.

That's what I did in Boston, and that's probably what I'll be doing again if I make it to SF this summer like I hope to.

BTW OConfusedOne, I've lived in both Boston and Louisiana, so if you've got questions, I've got answers.

Boston is expensive, but when you're there, everyone's doing it, so it's not such a big deal. When I paid $700 a month for half of an apartment people would say "That's not too bad." Now I pay $437.50 for half of an apartment and for that I get two living rooms, vs none in Boston, a full kitchen, vs a tiny one, my own washer and dryer in my apartment, vs one in the basement that was coinoperated, and a lawn, vs a parking lot.

In both circumstances I've had only a bike and've lived 2 blocks from work.

ETA: Pics are of my two residences, 1st is Boston, 2nd is NO. In the first picture our apartment was in the back overlooking the parking lot, in the 2nd picture, our apartment is the bottom floor.

Not so bad for being a bagger, eh Tame?
#21 Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Clearly, Cali is where it is all happening.
#22 Old 12-30-2003, 04:17 AM

yea I wanna go to California! But yea I don't think I'll ever be able to oh well! Here is good!
#23 Old 12-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a few places I'd like to live like Tokyo or California, but I'd only want to live there for a short while as I'd miss Australia too much. I left England so I could live in Oz and I love it. I couldn't really live anywhere else now

m8itcanw8.com
#24 Old 12-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to suggest Oregon, like Oregonamy did.

You can go to Portland. Its a big city with country sourrounding it. Its on the West Coast, not near the bible belt.

California is too expensive. In fact, I'm thinking of getting out of here because I don't know if I can afford to live here anymore.

Wow Mikie! Nice pads!
#25 Old 12-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggrl View Post

Tell me about St Louis.

I have selfish reasons for moving to St. Louis...it's where mouse is And da Loop,a really cool Grenich Village kinda place where I hope to find an apartment. Pus ..The Peacock restaruant...Bestest Veg Indian place Ive ever been...mouse took me there this past summer. And theres tons of places for vegan shopping and stuff to do.
#26 Old 12-30-2003, 01:20 PM

i'd like to live more southern beucase of the weather, but i dont wanan live in the ussa so im settling for british columbia
#27 Old 12-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Not so bad for being a bagger, eh Tame?

You make poverty level living seem almost enjoyable.
#28 Old 12-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggrl View Post

I loved amsterdam, when I lived in Belgium I was only 20 clicks from Holland and I spent a tone of time there. I could just jump on a train and go anywhere there. And I never was afraid to travel alone anywhere there, unlike here in the US. If money were no object, Id be on the next train to the Netherlands and never look back.

20 clicks ? is this a military phrase ?
#29 Old 12-31-2003, 12:00 PM

Canada, as it's more free, the environment is cleaner, theres less crime and they do not support senseless wars.
#30 Old 12-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it's not on the west coast, but Washington, DC

ain't bad, and there is no shortage of Air Force jobs

around here. The good stuff here is a significant

amount of veg restaurants and stores and a proximity

to the mountains and ocean. The bad stuff is the high

cost of living and the traffic. There are some

very nice secluded locations within a decent distance

of the city, but commuting around here is often NOT

fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page