Companies that hire from within - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

This applies to a "government" job (USDA like office), but I was wondering something....

Is it legal to say the following (when posted in newspapers, online, etc): "we have an opening for *tons of crap*, only people currently working for us need apply"

I ask as if they have to offer the job to others outside the place, their last comment outright says they won't consider you, so it seems.... too honest and fishy. Thought I'd ask you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

That seems weird. Most companies hire/promote from the outside. Well the ones I know about.
#3 Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Many places will try to hire from within. The person has a known history, work ethic, etc. When they can't hire from within, they post to outside sources. Even some government jobs work like that. If there's a vacancy, there will need to be a new outsider hired, but they try to promote current employees first. I couldn't see any company needing to post a public ad to promote current employees, though.
#4 Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

I couldn't see any company needing to post a public ad to promote current employees, though.

The place in question in my town only has like 10 employees anyway. Chances are they threw a going-away party, or everyone went to the funeral (whichever), so they all knew an opening existed. For that matter, they could've yelled "job opening, who wants it?" one day and been set.
#5 Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm no HR expert, but if you're talking government, it may be against the rules not first to hire from within the current pool of "experts". There is a certain understanding of "once you're in, you're in", promotion inevitability, as well as all sorts of specialized "credentials": secret clearances, government certifications, knowledge of inplace systems, etc.

They also may not want to add new jobs, just to move the workers already in the pool.
#6 Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

This applies to a "government" job (USDA like office), but I was wondering something....

Is it legal to say the following (when posted in newspapers, online, etc): "we have an opening for *tons of crap*, only people currently working for us need apply"

I ask as if they have to offer the job to others outside the place, their last comment outright says they won't consider you, so it seems.... too honest and fishy. Thought I'd ask you all.

Why don't you call the HR person and ask to have it explained to you? We can all speculate but the HR person should have the correct information.
#7 Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyMarie View Post

Why don't you call the HR person and ask to have it explained to you? We can all speculate but the HR person should have the correct information.

I wrote and asked in a non-implying way about it. But really, I seriously doubt the HR person would say "yep, we're breaking the law -- what ya gonna do about it?" (meaning, no matter what the legality, they will say it is legal).

There is a general rule said that positions with different companies (not govt, but do business with the govt or something) that say they have to list jobs in papers when they are available, accept applications, and consider them.

This place is doing this: "here's a great job for anyone! As long as you already work in our office. If you don't work in our office, your application will be rejected." They are not even accepting applications from outside their place, yet they have advertised in public places.
#8 Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

For such a small company maybe they were looking to reduce staff/positions to save money yet still provide advancement opportunities.
#9 Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

looks shady to me. if they have to advertise to people outside of the company, they logically also have to consider them and choose the best person for the job- regardless of whether or not they currently work for the company.
#10 Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Steps:

1) Apply for the job!

2) Sue!

3) Share profits with me for my good advice!
#11 Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Banned

That is odd. I've seen many instances of companies posting a job advert when they already had an internal candidate selected for the job. They were just going through hte motions of pretending to look externally for a candidate. But to clearly state it in job ad is very odd indeed.
#12 Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems odd that they would advertise externally if they were only intending to recruit internally - surely they could just let the existing employees know that the opportunity exists. It may be that they have a policy to always advertise in the press and they're doing a fast one to make sure they stay within the letter of their policy. You could always ring their HR department and ask why they are advertising in the press if they are not looking for external candidates.

In terms of whether this is legal... My own view is that, unless they have internal people with employment rights who might lose their own job, then companies, governmental or otherwise, should always advertise for external candidates (although internal people would, of course, be welcome to apply). Why might this be a legal issue? Well, unless the company already has a good mix of race, gender etc etc (and I've never yet seen an organisation that does) this could be challenged as indirect discrimination. I don't think anyone has made a legal challenge of this nature yet though.
#13 Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I like those kind of companies the most. Traditional job interviews are often really stressful, so it feels nice to just sit back and hear the interviewer from my heart and from my deepest thoughts. In my experience, internal dialog is definitely the best way to evaluate applicants.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#14 Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Any interviewer that could hear my thoughts would almost certainly not employ me
#15 Old 10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

I don't think it's odd that a company advertises a position that has already been filled from within. It's not an uncommon practice. I find it kind off odd they say outright in their ad, though, but that's only because I've not seen it before.

I can only speak absolutely for Australia but I think the rules could be similar. Some jobs must be advertised by law. This is quite common with government positions. It happened with a job of mine when, years back, I worked for the govt. I had a temp job for a few months and when a full time position came up I was asked to apply as they wanted me to stay. They didn't just want "a worker" they wanted me. However, by law, new positions in the government must be advertised. This is apparently for transparency and fairness. To ensure I got the job the ad was tailored to my specific skill set - we pretty much said, without saying it, "must be Kiz" as part of the requirements! It was odd seeing resumes trickle in for this new position but, lo and behold, I got the job.

Another scenario I see often is jobs that are going to legal immigrants. One way of coming to Australia, and the US, too, is by getting a job that apparently cannot be filled by a current resident. I haven't had my morning coffee yet so I can't remember the details, but there is some provision for coming to our countries as a "skilled immigrant". A "skilled immigrant" can have legal residency if they have a job that an Australian (or American) cannot fill because there are none that applied that were suitably skilled. When a company sponsors an immigrant to stay through this scheme they must prove that they did try to find a citizen to fill it but could not. To tick this box they must advertise. And like with me, lo and behold, who just happens to get that job? The person they had in mind.

Sometimes you see jobs that say things like "Chef. Low wages, bad suburb. Call XXXXXX between 10:45pm and 10:50pm Tuesdays only" and you think - are they really looking that hard for someone? Well, nope, they ain't. Never, ever seen it written directly in an ad, and I've worked in advertising for years now.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#16 Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I work for the County and the way it works here is that there are certain positions that are considered continuous recruitment. These jobs are open to both employees and outside candidates, providing they pass the required test and they come in as one of the top three of all those who passed.

Occasionally, there are positions advertised within the company that are internal canvasses only. I'm not sure what the difference is with these positions. Sometimes they are promotional, but not always. The internal canvassing is just that, internal. It would not be advertised to anyone on the outside.

I find it odd that a company would publicly advertise a position and specify that only current employees are eligible.
#17 Old 10-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I got annoyed, so I called them and talked to a person (they ignored the e-mail which was the way they wanted contacted). The lady's response was of shock and horror -- apparently, they were not supposed to have listed it as "internal candidates only", they were supposed to accept applicants from EVERYWHERE.

She nicely told me "and please do not forget the KSA's" and was overly helpful. So I'm working on the application now.

edit:

Really I'm taking the application I had for the exact same position with the same agency in another town, changing the dates and updating it, and submitting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page