"You are always sick because you are a vegetarian!" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 AM

"You are sick because you are a vegetarian!"

Did you ever hear that?

I remember, way back when I used to work for employers, I was always given so many "sick days" a year, and, lazy SOB I am, I would make sure that I would always use up all of those sick days (it always was a "use 'em or lose 'em policy), lying ("gasp!") that I was sick.

When I returned from the "sick" day, I would always hear remarks that "yoo need to eet sum meet, boy! Then yoo woodnt bee so sick all of the time! Didn't yore mammy and pappy teech yoo nuthin?"

Yet my fellow workers (who were flesh-eaters) were never harassed like this.

For a while I didn't take any sick days, just to show how healthy I was. But it went unnoticed.

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I seriously laughed at the accent.

I rarely get sick now, and I rarely got sick as an omnivore as well.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

"You are sick because you are a vegetarian!"

Did you ever hear that?

Yes, but only as a joke. When one of the omnivore coworkers who joked about it is sick I say "It's only because you eat meat, hah!" in return, lol.

No hard feelings. They don't seem to take my veg'nism serious but when it comes to ordering food occasionally or planning the X-mas party etc. they always make sure I can get something decent to eat, too. Same with friends.
#4 Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Just earlier this week I did. I was talking on the phone with a friend of mine who I hadn't spoken to in a while and the subject of me being sick and vegetarian came up. He asked me, "If someone told you that you could get better just by eating a hamburger would you do it?" I said no. There is a concept in Buddhism of (I believe) Bodhisattva who does not enter into Nirvana but stays behind to help all those suffering in the world. I am not even close to claiming that but the idea appeals to me. I would not want to even help myself at the expense of another. I would rather take on the suffering for them.
#5 Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

For some, it is probably just they believe you will be sick if a vegetarian, so if you call in sick, they are right. If you do not call in sick, they are not proved right, therefore they will not notice.
#6 Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

i used to get sick a lot, at least 4 times a year (stress and depression can cause immune system to be weaker) but even last year when i was mentally healthier i used to always expect to be sick and it would happen. i have watched every omni be sick this season, especially a number of students at my university and people i sit next to in class, but i have been absolutely fine! it amazes me

While today is still today, choose well.
#7 Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Banned

I hardly ever get sick anymore.
#8 Old 10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I work in an office with 13 other women. I'm vegan and the only one who didn't get sick during the most recent office epidemic.
#9 Old 10-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Ever since I went vegan It's super rare if I'm sick. I think it's because I eat a much more varied diet. When I was omni I would get sick at least twice in the winter.
#10 Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I don't get sick much but I still use my sick days. I'm not stupid! Once or twice I've got the "it's because you're vegetarian" line but then I just point out their sick days and they shut up.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 10-24-2009, 03:35 PM

At my husbands job. If they have good attendance they get well days. Where they are not sick but don't have to work and get to get paid for that day because they don't get sick. Does that make sense?

For every three months they don't miss a day and aren't late they get one well day.
#12 Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieMama View Post

At my husbands job. If they have good attendance they get well days. Where they are not sick but don't have to work and get to get paid for that day because they don't get sick. Does that make sense?

For every three months they don't miss a day and aren't late they get one well day.

That is an awesome idea. I firmly believe in "mental health days". "Well days" could be used just for that, and legitimately, doo.

#13 Old 10-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

Any thoughts on this?

Start saying "it's because you eat meat" every time one of them comes back after a sick day.
#14 Old 10-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Maybe someone will be asking Morrisey the same question later:

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/ne..._in_Wiltshire/
#15 Old 10-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunzas View Post

I was there!

Get well soon Mozzer.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#16 Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunzas View Post

Quote:
Just as he came to the end of the song his knees buckled and he slumped to the stage. Assistant tour manager Charlie Brown and a stage hand rushed to his side and dragged him off stage.

I thought it was traditional for rock stars to collapse on stage at some point during their career. And who the hell calls their kid "Charlie Brown"?

#17 Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I hardly ever get sick anymore.

Sooo Happy To Hear This

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieMama View Post

Ever since I went vegan It's super rare if I'm sick. I think it's because I eat a much more varied diet. When I was omni I would get sick at least twice in the winter.

Thats Awesome....When I was Vegan I was Sick as a Dog For Most Of It...and I was eating well balanced meals and very healthy...I was an extremely Unwell Vegan to put it Mildly.
#18 Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a gazillion times healthier now than I was as an omni, and I make sure to point it out to, like, everyone I meet.
#19 Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Wait, why is this in the Compost Heap?

It's hardly a debatable topic, so I'm moving the thread.

Moved to the Veggie Patch.

As for the topic at hand, nobody has ever said that to me specifically, but I had a neighbor who commented on how terrible my skin looked the minute I told her I was a vegetarian. She said she knew somebody who was also a vegetarian and she told her she had terrible looking skin, so this "vegetarian" starting eating a little fish and chicken again and voila! her skin cleared up and looked better.

*this space not for sale*
#20 Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 PM

I'm a bit surprised at people saying, "I always used my sick days" and words to that effect. These days aren't an entitlement! If you're not careful you'll be tarred with the same brush as UK MPs...
#21 Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockingpink View Post

I'm a bit surprised at people saying, "I always used my sick days" and words to that effect. These days aren't an entitlement! If you're not careful you'll be tarred with the same brush as UK MPs...

Oi! Yes they are, it say I am entitled to them right there in the legislation.

#22 Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Its very rare that I get sick,and I almost never use my sick days.

When co-workers ask me why I dont use the sick days,I tell them that Im a Vegetarian,so I dont get sick.

I am probably a fool for not using them up.
#23 Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've found I get sick more often the past few years then I used to. I attribute this to my job, as I'm exposed to about 150 different people who teach for our department, who in turn are exposed to who knows how many students. The students always seem to be sick, I'm guessing due to stress, crap diet and lack of rest. Inevitably, whatever crud is going around finds its way to my office.

My omni co-worker gets sick about as often as I do too. Hence my suspicion that is' the job, not my diet.

That being said, if people would wash their freaking hands after they go to the bathroom it would probably help a lot.
#24 Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Since going vegan I've been watching with a bit of amusement as basically everyone I know has been getting the flu and various cold and illnesses while I haven't had so much as a sniffle.

About a month ago every other person in my house including my boyfriend were sick as dogs and I felt fantastic, it must be the more varied diet thing.

When I was just a veggie and ate like crap and didn't sleep much I used to get sick all the time, this is refreshing.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#25 Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

For some, it is probably just they believe you will be sick if a vegetarian, so if you call in sick, they are right. If you do not call in sick, they are not proved right, therefore they will not notice.

"The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses."

- Francis Bacon

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page