anyone ever been in the peace corps? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm considering joining. anyone who has had any experience with this and would like to share, i'd appreciate it. also, just any thoughts about it (good or bad). :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

the teacher i work with went to peace corps in her college years. she said it was probaby one of the most rewarding, interesting, amazing experiences in her life. she's an omni, though, and said that while there were a few vegetarians who she came across, they often found it difficult when it came time for meals. i think it all depends on what country/location you end up at.
#3 Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend in Cambodia and he seems very happy there. It really depends on where you go, which is what kind of scares me about the Peace Corps. You no control over where they send you (and they may change their mind at the last minute) and you could end up digging ditches extremely far away and isolated (ie: not around people). Another one of my friends had an experience like that and she hated it so much she came home early. I wish they sent people in groups or teams.
#4 Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

My grandparents spent two years in Jamaica with the Peace Corps trying to teach teachers how to teach in 1984-1985. Hah. They got some long-lasting friends out of it (mostly other volunteers), but they figured out you really can't change entire cultures. At least not just two people, or just a handful of other volunteers.

They weren't and aren't vegetarians, so there would be little to learn from them in that aspect.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

i think it's definitely gonna be a humbling experience and something i'll have to totally surrender to in the beginning. like, going where they send me and doing what they want me to. but whether it turns out wonderful or horrible, it's the experience that counts. yeah, i could see it being hard to be vegan in some place/villages. but i can't let something like that stop me. i'll just hope for a place that eats lots of rice and beans. :] i'm planning on getting in touch with a recruiter soon, so i can find out what i need to do to get in. i'm pretty excited. :]
#6 Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

My grandparents spent two years in Jamaica with the Peace Corps trying to teach teachers how to teach in 1984-1985. Hah. They got some long-lasting friends out of it (mostly other volunteers), but they figured out you really can't change entire cultures. At least not just two people, or just a handful of other volunteers.

They weren't and aren't vegetarians, so there would be little to learn from them in that aspect.

Intresting....Thankies For Sharing That
#7 Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Hey! I've actually been talking to a recruiter in my area. If you want some more information, a good starting point is "So, You Want to Join the Peace Corps..." by Banerjee. It gives an honest unbiased look into the general peace corps experience. From what I've gathered, if you can get past the loneliness that can occur, it's one of the most rewarding and unique experiences you can have.
#8 Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

You may want to google "Peace Corps blogs" and see what comes up there.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm planning on joining once i come of age! anyone think i shouldnt
#10 Old 10-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I got accepted to the peace corps but then they thought I had TB due to a vaccine I got in Brazil as a kid. They wanted me to take additional tests to prove I didn't have it but my doctor had recommended against them. Anyway, it has the potential to be an amazing experience, but like veggiemeggie said it depends a lot on which program you end up on, and how truly committed you are to it. Some of the programs are incredibly lonely, so if you're not sure you'd be comfortable living completely isolated from civilization for 2 years it might not be a good idea to go through the whole application process.
#11 Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

You might consider looking into the Voluntary Service Organization as well, just to check out all your options. Very similar to the Peace Corps, but it's a non-governmental organization. You also might have SOME choice about where you volunteer (not guaranteed, but still...)

I think they also go to some places that the PC does not (due to political conflicts of interest with the US gov't)
#12 Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

You also might try Americorps.gov, jobsaborad.com, or Volunteerabroad.com as well. Good luck with everything.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page