Tragedy Involving Hamburger - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

The New York Times article linked below is about a woman who became paralyzed after eating a hamburger tainted with a virulent strain of e coli bacteria. Besides the tragic tale of the woman's losing the use of her legs it also details how hamburger meat is produced by the meat factories. It might be a good one to send to an omni friend on the fence about swearing off meat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html?hp

Quote:
I ask myself every day, Why me? and Why from a hamburger? Ms. Smith said. In the simplest terms, she ran out of luck in a food-safety game of chance whose rules and risks are not widely known.

Meat companies and grocers have been barred from selling ground beef tainted by the virulent strain of E. coli known as O157:H7 since 1994, after an outbreak at Jack in the Box restaurants left four children dead. Yet tens of thousands of people are still sickened annually by this pathogen, federal health officials estimate, with hamburger being the biggest culprit. Ground beef has been blamed for 16 outbreaks in the last three years alone, including the one that left Ms. Smith paralyzed from the waist down. This summer, contamination led to the recall of beef from nearly 3,000 grocers in 41 states.

Ms. Smiths reaction to the virulent strain of E. coli was extreme, but tracing the story of her burger, through interviews and government and corporate records obtained by The New York Times, shows why eating ground beef is still a gamble. Neither the system meant to make the meat safe, nor the meat itself, is what consumers have been led to believe."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Ankle Biter

Thanks for posting that great article. I've passed it on to several omni family members and friends.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM

My favorite line...

"The meat industry treats much of its practices and the ingredients in ground beef as trade secrets."
#4 Old 10-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

Besides the tragic tale of the woman's losing the use of her legs

I cant see it as a tragedy, unless we are going to also talk of the cow losing its leg so this woman can stuff her face.
#5 Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

I cant see it as a tragedy, unless we are going to also talk of the cow losing its leg so this woman can stuff her face.

This is what I thought. Yes, the woman losing the use of her legs is absolutely awful, but... the animal losing it's life for her dinner is tragic.

Thanks for posting this
#6 Old 10-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

This is what I thought. Yes, the woman losing the use of her legs is absolutely awful, but... the animal losing it's life for her dinner is tragic.

Thanks for posting this

I feel sorry for the woman, but not nearly as sorry as I feel for the countless number of animals that are killed everyday.
#7 Old 10-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

I view BOTH as tragic. I am unwilling to not feel for a person that becomes paralyzed just because she ate meat.
#8 Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I view BOTH as tragic. I am unwilling to not to feel for a person that becomes paralyzed just because she ate meat.

But she became paralyzed BECAUSE she ate that meat.

If someone became paralyzed through a car accident, i may sympathize.
#9 Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Whether or not we as vegetarians think it's a tragedy, most non-vegetarians do, so it may be an interesting article for those on the fence to read, like the OP said. They may conclude the solution is better regulation and better sanitation, but some may decide they'd rather not take that risk.

If a person gets sick from eating a piece of lettuce grown in a field tended by people in slave-labor conditions so bad they're forced to eliminate their own waste in the field because bathroom breaks are denied to them, is it any less sad and tragic for the sickened person who eats the lettuce?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#10 Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Whether or not we as vegetarians think it's a tragedy, most non-vegetarians do, so it may be an interesting article for those on the fence to read, like the OP said. They may conclude the solution is better regulation and better sanitation, but some may decide they'd rather not take that risk.

If a person gets sick from eating a piece of lettuce grown in a field tended by people in slave-labor conditions so bad they're forced to eliminate their own waste in the field because bathroom breaks are denied to them, is it any less sad and tragic for the sickened person who eats the lettuce?

spot on!
#11 Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Its obvious an animal died so somebody can eat beef, its not obvious someone was treated bad so someone can eat lettuce.
#12 Old 10-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Eh I put this in this forum because I didn't anticipate it being a debate thread If that was a mistake then if the mods wish to move it they have the OP's blessing
#13 Old 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I view BOTH as tragic. I am unwilling to not feel for a person that becomes paralyzed just because she ate meat.

Same here. All my family and most of my friends are meat eaters. I would feel awful if anything like this ever happened to them.
#14 Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Eh I put this in this forum because I didn't anticipate it being a debate thread

Are you new to VB? Events in which a person was hurt while hurting an animal will always trigger a sense of irony in ethical veg*ns - like hunting accidents, bullfighting gores, etc.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Are you new to VB? Events in which a person was hurt while hurting an animal will always trigger a sense of irony in ethical veg*ns - like hunting accidents, bullfighting gores, etc.

*Some* ethical veg*ns. Not all.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I figured that went without saying.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

It was the "always" that got the "Hey now!" response going from me.

#18 Old 10-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

E. coli strikes again !
#19 Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It was the "always" that got the "Hey now!" response going from me.

The "always" goes with the "sense of irony"...it doesn't mean "all veg*ns." Some people don't operate with a sense of irony at all. But many people will "always" see irony when someone is hurt in the process of hurting someone else (whether human or animal). Like, if someone in South Africa was hurt while doing something terrible to their slaves in a diamond mine...or when a child molester is hurt by his victim...it's a trigger for that sense of irony (maybe not the right word) in many. On a board like this I would always figure there would be some of that. But I see your point about my phrasing.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 10-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think this is a little different than being gored by a bull. Most people are conditioned to believe that bullfighting is cruel and unnecessary, whereas many people are not taught the same thing about eating meat. Additionally, with something like a bullfight you are the one stabbing the bull to death so it would be difficult not to think of the bull as a sentient being that can suffer. Most of us ate meat at one point or another...
#21 Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As far as I'm concerned someone who takes pleasure in the pain of another, or feels no empathy whatsoever in another's tragedy, is not "ethical" in any way, shape or form.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#22 Old 10-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post

I think this is a little different than being gored by a bull. Most people are conditioned to believe that bullfighting is cruel and unnecessary, whereas many people are not taught the same thing about eating meat. Additionally, with something like a bullfight you are the one stabbing the bull to death so it would be difficult not to think of the bull as a sentient being that can suffer. Most of us ate meat at one point or another...

I agree with this. Social conditioning is no excuse for an action (no doubt people throughout the ages have been conditioned to do a lot of horrible stuff), but it is something to take into account in "moral psychology".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#23 Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

As far as I'm concerned someone who takes pleasure in the pain of another, or feels no empathy whatsoever in another's tragedy, is not "ethical" in any way, shape or form.

Well, I wasn't talking about people "taking pleasure in" or "feeling no empathy whatsoever" if you read my post (since you quoted it). If you read it that way, I think it must be because that attitude is what's in your mind.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#24 Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I agree, and I hope that woman felt a least a little empathy for the animals who were killed for the burger.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#25 Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

For the truly clueless...consider posting this thread on a parenting forum:

Title of thread: "Tragedy involving child molester"

Quote:
A Northern Kentucky mother charged with assaulting an Erlanger man Thursday declared that he is a pedophile and said she shot him where it counts so he won't ever touch another child again.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200..._she_shot.html

There wouldn't be any discussion in that thread other than expressions of sorrow for the guy who got shot, would there? No one would make it "controversial" and mention the children, would they?

The point was, it just seems really, really obvious that the title of this thread ("Tragedy Involving Hamburger") on a veg board would generate a little discussion, if only people pointing out that the animals (referred to as "hamburger") were victims too.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM

WOW this is awful for all people and animals involved
#27 Old 10-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to hear about the woman (dietary habits excluded--it could've been the only place to eat, or there were others who just said, "Let's eat here." or something like that). Sorry about all the animals (cows and whatever else goes in there...I'm not going to dwell on it, as we have no Peppy~Dismal).

As for the woman who shot the child molester in KY, in Irizary's piost, she was very kind hearted. I would've use a shard of broken glass.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#28 Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I feel sorry for the woman, but not nearly as sorry as I feel for the countless number of animals that are killed everyday.

This. Hambuger itself is a tragedy. Violence begets violence.
#29 Old 10-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

The description of what pre-made hamburger is should put a lot of people off of it, for health reasons alone...however I fear they'll just substitute chicken.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#30 Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 AM
mlp
Banned

I wonder whether those who find this deliciously ironic have any omni family members or friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page