Sense of dread and panic about going back to work - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-21-2003, 01:10 PM

Does anyone else ever feel this way? I was not at work, save a couple hours, last week. I have a doctor's note excusing me. So why do I feel panicy?

I took the entire week off for the obvious food poisoning, but the doctor also gave me a couple extra days off for the stress that I have been feeling. So why I am worried?

I'm afraid, yes afraid, that one of my trainers will ride me about the amount of time I missed. I'm afraid that I will blow my temper. I'm afraid of the feeling that the entire situation will cause. Are these irrationial feelings? Well, I know that when I did go in this week, one trainer did lay into me hard over being out sick. And that was only 2 days. Can you imagine after a week?

Ugh, I hate giult tactics. I am very susceptable to guilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

i think job dread is pretty common. i used to get it really badly at one particular job where my boss was a complete, powertripping freak who made my life hell. the only thing that helped was keeping my goal of leaving the job in my sights at all times. it's much easier to shrug off the head games when you know you've only got to stick it out a while longer. good luck, krista. i know how much it sucks.
#3 Old 12-21-2003, 01:29 PM

I didn't think of it that way. Just remind myself that I will leave when I save enough money.

Thanks Kreeli. That really helped.
#4 Old 12-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

don't forget to cultivate a big sense of pity for all the poor suckers you're leaving behind at that place. there's nothing better than knowing that you'll be out of there soon and they'll be left to suffer under the weight of their own misery. it really helps if you can start speaking in a very condescending tone of voice to all of them. remember, you are superiour because you've got a plan to improve your life, while they will all waste away in their own boring, politicking drudgery.
#5 Old 12-21-2003, 01:40 PM

wow...a year of me pitying them. I can do that.

You've done this before, haven't you? hehe
#6 Old 12-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

what, feeling self righteous and superiour? hell yeah. it's the only reason i went vegan, hun.
#7 Old 12-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I hated my job two jobs ago, and as long as I thought of it as a means to an end, it was okay. Basically, I knew if I stuck it out, I'd have the money to pay for school and have the job of my dreams, which did happen, so there's hope for you, too.

That said, I get nervous when I go back to work after a vacation regardless. I feel like somehow I won't be able to teach anymore after not doing it for a couple weeks (or a couple months, depending on the vacation). It's silly, but it's stressful as heck.
#8 Old 12-21-2003, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

what, feeling self righteous and superiour? hell yeah. it's the only reason i went vegan, hun.

I've missed you
#9 Old 12-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel bad for ya kirstadb, I've been there a few times.

I'm the type of person that if I have conflicts at work I say, "see ya", life is short.

Maybe you should quit, but before you do make a big todo list so you can make an easy transition out of your job. Be responsible, not like me! lol

Hope it all works out for you.
#10 Old 12-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I get that way - in fact it that is one of the reasons that I am uneasy about going home for christmas - I am taking two days off of work and I know I spend some time during this joyous time dreading going back. I feel guilt taking the time off even though i asked off and I am entitled to some time. Sunday when it comes to to drive back here there will be a tremendous let-down and I don't want that. Right now I am just trying to focus on the holidays and not think about work. In January, we are taking our family vacation and I am taking a week off of work and I am feeling guilt about that. I keep telling myself that I have been there since july and haven't missed a day or even been late once.
#11 Old 12-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Banned

Krista, you are tougher than they are, you just don't know it. Think how much you have gone through in your life already. Are you going to let these slimes defeat you after all you have over come in your life? You are one of the toughest people on this board. They may be even having bad feelings against you because you stole their thunder at the Christmas party. They thought you were a victim and you walked in like you owned the place. Keep in your mind at all times who the most beautiful woman in that office is and walk like it, talk like it. Become it in everything you do, especially your reactions to what ever they say. You are the queen of beauty, intelligence, and honor. They are just peasants, and they can never come close to the woman you are. Remember it, breathe it in, believe it, say it to yourself in the mirror every time you look. Walk like you are royalty. Think like you are royalty. Believe it.
#12 Old 12-21-2003, 08:12 PM

#13 Old 12-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I felt that way for years. My weekends were always ruined because I'd constantly worry about having to go back to work on Monday. It got so bad that I actually went to a therapist to talk things out. Now my doctor has me on a low dose of Xanax. So, now with therapy & medication I can actually enjoy my weekends and not be so stressed all the time. (I'm not saying that meds are the answer to everything... it just helped my situation)
#14 Old 12-22-2003, 11:14 AM

Nah, I just wasn't at work for the bestest week of the year, that's where the dread is coming from
#15 Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Banned

Krista, remember who you are.
#16 Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 AM

I'm here, people seem scared to talk about me being out sick. One of the people doing my work last week, Pat (also a trainer that annoys me), isn't in yet, though. My boss is in but I haven't seen him.

My stomach is churning, but when people ask, I simply say I was sick and I got a doctor's note for it. I didn't ask the doctor to make me sick and I can't control things like food poisoning.
#17 Old 12-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Banned

Stop that right now! You don't owe them more than a Drs. note. What would they want you to do, come to work and barf on all the files? Hey now there's a thought. Barf on someone. Can I watch?
#18 Old 12-22-2003, 04:44 PM

My manager asked for a doctor's note, but that's because I went over my allotted sick days; but with a sick note, it will come out of insurance.

Pat hasn't spoken to me today. Everyone is loosening up, so I am too.

I keep reminding myself that I am going to leave here and go follow my dreams. It's given me quite the pep in my step.
#19 Old 12-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

You're good enough, smart enough and doggone it people like you!

I'm feeling panicky about switching to day shift. I'll have to deal with (shudder) PEOPLE! Only 2 more weeks!
#20 Old 12-22-2003, 06:34 PM

ack - dealing with people. The horror!
#21 Old 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM

So I slept in this morning - by accident. I was out really late delivering the Christmas gifts to our sponsor family. There was a report going out this morning that I was supposed to have done; most of it was, but I didn't finish it.

So instead of calling me at home this morning and waking me up, they sat around and waited for me to show up. Then, at the last minute, threw the thing together. And tried to get annoyed at me. So I said, "I slept in. Why didn't someone just call me at home to make sure I wasn't calling in sick?" Dead silence. "Next time, just call. I slept in. It happens on occasion. You should have called. I didn[t know that it needed to go out at 10am this morning. no one told me that. Next time, use the phone and call."

I'm getting pissed off. Besides, it's a bunch of paper. So what if it doesn't get there today? You're already been paid for it. I spent the night with a refugee family that literally escaped ethnic cleansers in teh middle of the night, running through the woods in their night clothes with the wife pregnant and 2 toddlers in tow. No offence, but your report pales in comparsion of urgency.
#22 Old 12-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

You go, Girl. Do those Shallow Hals know you do this kind of vital volunteer work? Is there a way you can get a job with a support team for just that sort of thing? That seems to be a calling in your life.
#23 Old 12-23-2003, 12:37 PM

They all know I was there last night. No one cared. Not really cared. The work I do doesn't affect their bottom line; they just try to use it as a "shows how great our company is" sort of thing.

I need to work with people who care. They do not care.
#24 Old 12-23-2003, 01:16 PM

Good luck finding work with people who care. The only thing that seems to matter anymore is the bottom line. Period. You are just a number in the machine. I'm realizing this more and more.

Great response to them though. That's thinking on your feet. Once my alarm didn't go off because we had a power failure in the middle of the night. One of my coworkers called about a half hour after I was supposed to be in and woke me up. That was cool. You're right. They could have called. But on the other hand, they probably see that as your responsibility (getting up on time) and not theirs. Seems like that kind of crowd. :shrugs:
#25 Old 12-23-2003, 02:46 PM

Considering that they called 5-10 times daily while I was out sick, you think they'd all know my phone by heart now

We barely raised half of the fundraising goal. I'm disappointed, but I was warned that they were not charitiable people. Still, my bf and I donated about 1/5 of the money, bought what we didn't raise and everyone thinks that they did a fantastic goal
#26 Old 12-23-2003, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

So I slept in this morning - by accident. I was out really late delivering the Christmas gifts to our sponsor family. There was a report going out this morning that I was supposed to have done; most of it was, but I didn't finish it.

So instead of calling me at home this morning and waking me up, they sat around and waited for me to show up. Then, at the last minute, threw the thing together. And tried to get annoyed at me. So I said, "I slept in. Why didn't someone just call me at home to make sure I wasn't calling in sick?" Dead silence. "Next time, just call. I slept in. It happens on occasion. You should have called. I didn[t know that it needed to go out at 10am this morning. no one told me that. Next time, use the phone and call."

I'm getting pissed off. Besides, it's a bunch of paper. So what if it doesn't get there today? You're already been paid for it. I spent the night with a refugee family that literally escaped ethnic cleansers in teh middle of the night, running through the woods in their night clothes with the wife pregnant and 2 toddlers in tow. No offence, but your report pales in comparsion of urgency.

Err.......just so the youngsters among us don't get the wrong idea and end up getting fired:
  • If a company has promised to get a report out by a certain time, it needs to get out by that time, whether or not the company has already been paid for it. That's called "satisfying your customers" and "delivering what was promised", and it's how companies stay in business and how employees keep their jobs.
  • It's not your bosses' or coworkers' job to give you a wake up call. It's not your secretary's job either. It's your job to get to work on time.
  • It's your responsibility to know or find out when projects you're working on are to be completed, and your responsibility to complete them on time.
  • If you make a mistake, acknowledge that fact, apologize, and say that you will make every effort to do better in the future. Do not try to shift responsibility for your mistakes on others. It's called being a grownup and a professional.

In the 13 and 1/2 years I've been with this firm, we've fired one person, and that was someone who displayed the attitude you've described. As a matter of fact, she also suggested that it was our responsibility to give her a wake up call.

Sorry to sound harsh, but no one is ever going to get anywhere, much less manage to hold a job, with that kind of attitude.
#27 Old 12-23-2003, 06:07 PM

They didn't promise to get it out to the customer; they just told me they wanted it out. It was all on my desk, but was not in order. I don't have to be at work until 10 am. I happen to get in most days 2 hours early everyday so I can leave early; they just assumed that was what I was going to do. If they wanted me in early, they should have asked.

edit: actually, to be honest, I don't have to show up at work at all; I can work at home. 10am is when you need to call in by to say you're not showing up. By coming in at 9:45am, I was late to me, but early by the standards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page