Son angry father's death posted on YouTube - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

UNDATED (WSVN) -- A family is upset their loved one's death is posted on YouTube showing moments before and after he drowned.

Luis Aldiva hasn't seen the video that has him irate. His father, Ramon Rodriguez De La Cruz, drowned in Puerto Rico last month. Since then, thousands of people have viewed it on YouTube. "I haven't seen the video because I don't want to see him. I don't want to have that visual. It's sickening. It's disgusting," Aldiva said.

The video was shot by a tourist from South Florida. It shows the 53-year-old man in his last moments. De La Cruz is caught between giant rocks at sea. The video shows two people attempting to wrestle him free, but they fail.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI130928/

It's amazing how far people will go with the news or to show what they think is newsworthy. For some reason, people have seemed to have forgotten about respect or being respectful.

The Big Bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Whats the difference between this and it or something similar being on the "News"?
#3 Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Whats the difference between this and it or something similar being on the "News"?

I don't recall the news usually showing someone in their actual death throes. or a before and after.

The Big Bad.
#4 Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, ofcourse not, JFK, Oswald, please come to the Detroit area. I have seen it all too often.
#5 Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, ofcourse not, JFK, Oswald, please come to the Detroit area. I have seen it all too often.

You're obviously well aware that that doesn't make it right though.I really don't understand the person who decides that this is something to be put on youtube. Maybe with the family's consent and it serving a learning purpose or something.

The Big Bad.
#6 Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

You're obviously well aware that that doesn't make it right though.I really don't understand the person who decides that this is something to be put on youtube. Maybe with the family's consent and it serving a learning purpose or something.

Oh we are in agreement. But you must realize that this day and age there is very little expectation of privacy and peoples inherent lust for fame and popularity clouds respect and good judgment. And unfortunately this will continue to happen to anyone that has the misfortune to be in an accident outside the sanctity of their own home.

I have worked in television for a long time and am constantly sickend by the "it bleeds it leads" credo. But as long as there is a blood lust (i.e. When Animals Attack Volume987) things like this will just keep happening. I feel for the family, but its a slippery slope as to legal recourse.
#7 Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh we are in agreement. But you must realize that this day and age there is very little expectation of privacy and peoples inherent lust for fame and popularity clouds respect and good judgment. And unfortunately this will continue to happen to anyone that has the misfortune to be in an accident outside the sanctity of their own home.

I have worked in television for a long time and am constantly sickend by the "it bleeds it leads" credo. But as long as there is a blood lust (i.e. When Animals Attack Volume987) things like this will just keep happening. I feel for the family, but its a slippery slope as to legal recourse.

What's sad about what you're saying is that the guy who posted this won't receive any fame or popularity from it. Why would he? So, this particular kind of video truly does nothing for him which mystifies me as to why he'd feel the need to post it. Other videos I can see rhyme and reason. not this one.

The Big Bad.
#8 Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What's sad about what you're saying is that the guy who posted this won't receive any fame or popularity from it. Why would he? So, this particular kind of video truly does nothing for him which mystifies me as to why he'd feel the need to post it. Other videos I can see rhyme and reason. not this one.

Oh trust me, right now, among the lot he associates with, he is the cool guy.
#9 Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

there is much less death on the news than there could be, or in fact used to be. Newsmedia made decisions to not play that kind of footage after the vietnam war when they showed all kinds of graphic stuff. Is that not how is is in america as well?
#10 Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh trust me, right now, among the lot he associates with, he is the cool guy.

Well, in that case, more power to him. As long as he's got some status, good for him. It wasn't HIS family member anyways.

The Big Bad.
#11 Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

there is much less death on the news than there could be, or in fact used to be. Newsmedia made decisions to not play that kind of footage after the vietnam war when they showed all kinds of graphic stuff. Is that not how is is in america as well?

It seems like the market I work in tends to think that a disclaimer for the viewing audience is enough.
#12 Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

i'm sure there's a market for that kind of thing. the car crash mentality. I don't like it, so i don't search for it. But, i'm sure on youtube there's tons of crap like that.

The Big Bad.
#13 Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

What kind of emotionally bankrupt person would videotape such a tragedy in the first place? Perhaps there might have been hope of a rescue, which would have resulted in a happy video, but I would have destroyed it if I had been taping it for that reason and it turned out as it had. I wouldn't even be able to look at it again, let alone put it on Youtube.

In July I was returning along the coastal highway from Bodega Bay in the early evening and had to stop for a roadblock. Someone had evidently been washed out to sea, and they were using helicopters with those baskets they lower on a cable, and divers, and people were getting out of their cars to photograph it. I was the very first car in the line, so I had the best opportunity to view the whole procedure, and I wouldn't even look. Except to take note of all the gawkers photographing the basket with the person in it. That could have been a corpse. They should have been grateful it wasn't them, not gloating over someone else's tragedy and photographing it. Why would anyone want to preserve such a horrible memory in pictures? What in the hell is wrong with people?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

What kind of emotionally bankrupt person would videotape such a tragedy in the first place? Perhaps there might have been hope of a rescue, which would have resulted in a happy video, but I would have destroyed it if I had been taping it for that reason and it turned out as it had. I wouldn't even be able to look at it again, let alone put it on Youtube.

In July I was returning along the coastal highway from Bodega Bay in the early evening and had to stop for a roadblock. Someone had evidently been washed out to sea, and they were using helicopters with those baskets they lower on a cable, and divers, and people were getting out of their cars to photograph it. I was the very first car in the line, so I had the best opportunity to view the whole procedure, and I wouldn't even look. Except to take note of all the gawkers photographing the basket with the person in it. That could have been a corpse. They should have been grateful it wasn't them, not gloating over someone else's tragedy and photographing it. Why would anyone want to preserve such a horrible memory in pictures? What in the hell is wrong with people?

People are attracted to chaos. Any kind of disruption from the day to day crap. Why do you think there are trolls out there? (because bridges need to be protected). The media has lots to do with all of this insanity. The craziest and worst stories get the most play. It's sad that on the news that they don't show at least as much good news to counteract.

The Big Bad.
#15 Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

People are attracted to chaos.

Well then they need some up close and personal experience with it. That'll cure them of their fascination with it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#16 Old 09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Well then they need some up close and personal experience with it. That'll cure them of their fascination with it.

That's a very tall order. Many, many people in our country suffer from it. but, you're right. Tomorrow is 9/11. Remember how somber the mood became after that? Naturally, it didn't last.

I did CPR on a teenager and he didn't make it. His face at that point is permanently seared into my brain. That's something that will end the car crash mentality fast.

The Big Bad.
#17 Old 09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not a "sick" mindset in my estimation. Humanity is obsessed with death and suffering and the reasoning behind it; this is one way of us defensively coping with our self-awareness of its inevitability.

It's not abnormal, otherwise gawkers at car wrecks and the like wouldn't be cliche. I guess I am a morbid person, since curiosity drives me to be as much of a rubber-necker as anybody...
#18 Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

It's not a "sick" mindset in my estimation. Humanity is obsessed with death and suffering and the reasoning behind it; this is one way of us defensively coping with our self-awareness of its inevitability.

It's not abnormal, otherwise gawkers at car wrecks and the like wouldn't be cliche. I guess I am a morbid person, since curiosity drives me to be as much of a rubber-necker as anybody...

There's a difference in being curious and taking that and running with it.

The Big Bad.
#19 Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe people wouldn't be so insanely curious if humans these days had a better connection with death.

In the not-so-distant past, families dealt with death in their own homes much more regularly. Children were exposed to it at young ages. There were community rituals (bathing, preparing, burying) for bodies. It wasn't "OMFG, IT'S A CORPSE!!!" It just... Was. These days, if someone dies? It's usually in a hospital and kids are kept out of the room. Encounters with death are often reserved for those in health care, those involved in or witnessing violent acts, or seeing sensational accidents or natural disasters. It's just not normal for a species to only experience death that way. And since that's how we DO experience it, it IS sensationalized in general. Bleh. Humans are freakshows, all around.
#20 Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's a very tall order. Many, many people in our country suffer from it. but, you're right. Tomorrow is 9/11. Remember how somber the mood became after that? Naturally, it didn't last.

I did CPR on a teenager and he didn't make it. His face at that point is permanently seared into my brain. That's something that will end the car crash mentality fast.

People think it'll never happen to them, so its ok to be entertained by it when it happens to someone else. I do think this is a sick mentality, and not to be defended by the "but everyone is like this" excuse.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#21 Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

For sure, but there's no way to tell whether this guy (the filmmaker) was trying to get props from his mates or if he was having some kind of American Beauty, life-is-suffering-and-people-should-see-the-truth moment. So I'm not prepared to judge his motives for releasing it.

However, I feel for the victim's family though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page