Life-changing, financial-changing decision enclosed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2003, 11:46 PM

I've decided to dust off some of my old dreams.

I am miserable paper pushing. I feel like my life is wasting away on useless, nothingness. So, it's time to do something about.

I'm going to apply to the Bachelor of Education dept at the local university (i already have a B.A.). Providing acceptance, I'm going to start taking part-time night classes starting in the spring/summer session if possible, or the fall one if it takes longer to get the savings going. while doing this, I'm going to work on saving enough money to pay for 3 sessions full-time, which will probably take me 2 years (not counting on income tax refunds and work bonuses). when I have enough, I will ask for a part-time job at my work, quitting my permanent job. If they refuse, I will quit and get myself a part-time job at a local restaurant, book store, etc. I have arranged housing and back-up housing w/ cheap rent for that period, so that I will be able to live.

I'm working on my book, which was one dream. it's time to dust off the other one now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish you the best of luck! It sounds like it was a good decision for you
#3 Old 12-20-2003, 12:02 AM

Breaking up with my husband caused me to ruin my life. It's time I unruin it.
#4 Old 12-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Go Krista! I'm very proud of you, it looks as though you've looked into this alot All the best
#5 Old 12-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Krista -- sounds like a great plan! I'm pulling for you.

#6 Old 12-20-2003, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck..
#7 Old 12-20-2003, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Krista, good luck.

Sometimes you sound so similar to me (in terms of strengths, career interests) it's scary. I have always regretted not going to teacher's college (con ed) the first time around, but thankfully I at least have a job which is more than I thought I'd have a year ago! I also want to get a history MA sometime....

If I can help you with your book (editing and stuff) let me know.

I know you'll keep us posted.
#8 Old 12-20-2003, 01:17 AM

I don't regret finishing my degree when I did. I had been in school since I was 5. The idea of 2 more years to get another bachelor degree seemed too much. I got married my last year of university and was ready to have a real job.

I've decided to make the financial plans not counting on the work bonus and the income tax refund. I expect to get both in 2004, but it isn't guaranteed, so I don't want to get my hopes up. Also, my bf has some plans as well and we're trying to make both of our plans work together. hence, I may wait for the fall session, as I'm not even sure if I will live in Edmonton at that time.

Also, if we do end up moving (which I doubt will happen, but is a possiblity), we have some places that we'd go and I'll apply at those local universities instead. but right now, I'd like to have the cash in the bank for it.

Thanks for the offers on my book; I may take you up on it when it gets closer to the end. right now, it's in the let's all read it and figure out what the heck is missing stage (ie I had a character in the wagon with the main character for a full chapter....and forgot to mention him oops! - those kind of things lol).

Thanks for the support here. I'm 28 and a half. It's time I start getting my crap together again.
#9 Old 12-20-2003, 01:35 AM

Knowhere but up sista!
#10 Old 12-20-2003, 01:53 AM

thanks ruthie. your endorsement means a lot But, I can't see you ever saying not to do what my heart's been shouting at me to do
#11 Old 12-20-2003, 03:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with your decision....I hope your dream becomes a reality

m8itcanw8.com
#12 Old 12-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Banned

Good luck, Krista! You have your whole life ahead of you!
#13 Old 12-20-2003, 07:20 AM

Good luck! Yay!
#14 Old 12-20-2003, 08:08 AM

I'm so happy to hear that you're taking this step, Krista! I really think that this can do nothing but good for you. Keep me posted on how things are going!
#15 Old 12-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

What was your B.A. in? I have a feeling I knew at some point, but forgot.

And I'd just like to throw in that I'd be happy to help with book editing, too. Editing is one of my favorite things in the world to do.
#16 Old 12-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck, Krista. Your strength will pull you towards your dreams. You can do it!
#17 Old 12-20-2003, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome. Congratulations and the best of luck.
#18 Old 12-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Her BA is in History.

I don't regret finishing when I did, I just wish I had of went through as a teacher in the first place. I have always wanted to be a teacher, and it sounds like you're teacher material yourself. And I completely relate to wanting to get a job and make money after 18 years in school.

Good luck Krista. If you ever move out towards eastern Ontario (although why anyone would I don't know ) let me know!
#19 Old 12-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

It's time I start getting my crap together again.

I don't know anyone who has his/her crap truly together. Life is a work in progress. Sounds like you're taking some steps in a positive direction. Best of luck to you!
#20 Old 12-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Well in that case I wish you all the crap in the world! nah, kidding, hehe.. AND the means to deal with it! (j/k) Don't forget your camping holiday thread inbetween times too Krista!... Sounds like you need the UK break to let loose of bureacratic things that have been ingrained in you by work...

"Work in Progress" ?? hmmm... Thats only any good if you know you stand a

good chance of completing some of what you set out to do don't ya think Carnelian.
#21 Old 12-20-2003, 04:12 PM

we'll still do the UK trip (proably ~spring 2005), although the agreement is my bf is going to pay well more then half of it, in exchange I pay for 2 small weekend getaways to the mountains.

My crap used to be well ordered and regulated. I let it go all over the place for a while, so it's back to ordered feces again
#22 Old 12-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Which mountains, the Appalachians might that be? Ask Funkie, she's done a stint on

them thar hills, and she did so with full hamster fortitude. (btw, where is Funk anyway, naughty hamster!!...get back on your wheel !)
#23 Old 12-20-2003, 05:06 PM

Canadian Rocky Mountains
#24 Old 12-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Whoo Hooo Krista! I hope it all works out. If you aren't happy where you are now, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck!
#25 Old 12-21-2003, 03:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your support. In RL, everyone is shocked that I'm even considering it (as they always are with my ideas), so I had to tell people who would say go for it

My bf is a firm supporter in anything I do, which I am grateful for. But, it is nice to have other people say positive things. I'm used to everyone thinking I'm nuts and crazy for bucking tradition - which, I am crazy for always bucking tradition - but it is my way. One day, I hope it will work out for me. If not, then at least my life will serve as a warning to others
#26 Old 12-22-2003, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Good for you! Best wishes in all your new endeavors!
#27 Old 12-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

congrats on knowing what you want to do in life, that's more than most people can say, myself included.

good luck, i know it'll work out in the end

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#28 Old 12-22-2003, 12:20 AM
Banned

You can do it! I am so proud of you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page