Eccentric individuals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I am curious about how the general population of this board view eccentrics. I have seen in various places people state all sorts of things that they think makes them eccentric. When that is done I rarely believe them. It seems they are just seeking attention.

Is an eccentric person aware of the things that make them eccentric?

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

The most eccentric people I know have no idea how different they really are. (As far as I can tell). They are both kinda socially awkward, so they may realize they don't fit in, but I don't think they are aware of their quirks and how neat/quirky they really come off.
#3 Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Banned

Can someone define what a 'normal person' is and if they've ever met one?
#4 Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

The most eccentric people I know have no idea how different they really are. (As far as I can tell). They are both kinda socially awkward, so they may realize they don't fit in, but I don't think they are aware of their quirks and how neat/quirky they really come off.

I have been described as eccentric before. I don't think I am at all (which probably means that I am.)
#5 Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Often when I'm pouring coconut milk in my pockets while singing lost Russian folk classics backwards, I'm wondering the same question.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Yeah, how do you define normal and eccentric?

People tell me I'm eccentric (when they're trying to be nice) and a weirdo (the rest of the time ). But I doubt I'm what you'd consider to be "an eccentric."
#7 Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting question. I'm considered eccentric I think, within the circles I move in, but if I go to somewhere like Camden, I'm so normal as to be boring.

It's all relative I guess.
#8 Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people think Vegetarians and Vegans are eccentric!
#9 Old 08-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

After being said so many times in this thread, the word is losing all meaning

eccentric, eccentric, eccentric...
#10 Old 08-26-2009, 02:52 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i like the way that word looks.

eccentric! so many round letters!

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#11 Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Some people think Vegetarians and Vegans are eccentric!

Beat me to it!

--Fromper

#12 Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:

LOL Good One and havent ever met one...
#13 Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Labels suck IMO. Everyone has a different opinion of what "eccentric" is. And "normal" and "crazy" and it goes on and on.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#14 Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This discussion is a paradox.

#15 Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, let me see:

1. I have these really fuzzy socks that come in all sorts of interesting patterns. They're usually kind of shiny. I have a pair that's very light yellow that's shiny and they're the most comfortable socks I've ever worn. I also have some that are black and green and black and blue, and some other odd ones here and there. They don't go with a whole lot, but I don't care anymore. One of my favorite things about Jarlaxle, the character I quoted on my page/under my name, is that he dresses however he wants, and even though none of his stuff "matches," nobody can give him crap about it, and he's totally comfortable with himself. x3

2. I would love to have the Elven Star tattooed somewhere. Probably on one of my arms. Not a HUGE ugly tattoo, but a pretty, artistic one. Sure, people would probably freak out (I've gotten plenty of nasty comments for my...odd "religious" beliefs, but screw those people, I don't give them crap for believing that a zombie will rescue them from an evil force that came from a rib woman being convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree).

3. I....have an elven friend. Yeah, this one is probably the winner here.

4. Wolf therian. Maybe this one will be the winner. I used to run up stairs (carpeted) on all fours. Not down, though. There's a ton of other little habits, too, but that's a long list that would bore everyone.

Volke: You there, in the bushes. You have until the count of five to show yourself before I start throwing sharp objects. One... two... four...
#16 Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanahera View Post

sure, people would probably freak out (i've gotten plenty of nasty comments for my...odd "religious" beliefs, but screw those people, i don't give them crap for believing that a zombie will rescue them from an evil force that came from a rib woman being convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree).

:d
#17 Old 08-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, let me see:

1. I have these really fuzzy socks that come in all sorts of interesting patterns. They're usually kind of shiny. I have a pair that's very light yellow that's shiny and they're the most comfortable socks I've ever worn. I also have some that are black and green and black and blue, and some other odd ones here and there. They don't go with a whole lot, but I don't care anymore. One of my favorite things about Jarlaxle, the character I quoted on my page/under my name, is that he dresses however he wants, and even though none of his stuff "matches," nobody can give him crap about it, and he's totally comfortable with himself. x3

2. I would love to have the Elven Star tattooed somewhere. Probably on one of my arms. Not a HUGE ugly tattoo, but a pretty, artistic one. Sure, people would probably freak out (I've gotten plenty of nasty comments for my...odd "religious" beliefs, but screw those people, I don't give them crap for believing that a zombie will rescue them from an evil force that came from a rib woman being convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree).

3. I....have an elven friend. Yeah, this one is probably the winner here.

4. Wolf therian. Maybe this one will be the winner. I used to run up stairs (carpeted) on all fours. Not down, though. There's a ton of other little habits, too, but that's a long list that would bore everyone.

You are aware of these things and because of that you are not eccentric. Unless this is meant to be humorous. But still I don't think you are eccentric.

#18 Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Administrator

I'd say they're not aware of it.

We have some backyard neighbors who seem a little eccentric. They vacuum their deck and they have a 6 foot light up palm tree out there that they turn on whenever they're entertaining (which is almost every night).

We ran into them once while walking and their names are Boris and Natasha (I think they're Russian), which I believe are the characters from Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Anyway, I want to get to know them better!

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Unless this is meant to be humorous

Although I know you probably weren't trying to be rude, I am a bit offended by that. Most of those things have hurt me before, and they're not things I can control.

And...this is the definition I've gotten for eccentric (not directed specifically at anyone)

Quote:
Eccentric - a person with an unusual or odd personality

Volke: You there, in the bushes. You have until the count of five to show yourself before I start throwing sharp objects. One... two... four...
#20 Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Unusual people make the world go round.
#21 Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

My experience has always been that if someone says:

"All my friends tell me that I'm ______"

Then you are usually not what your friends 'always say you are'.

The trully eccentric people aren't aware of it.

And the people who pride themselves on being special...

usually aren't.
#22 Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Although I know you probably weren't trying to be rude, I am a bit offended by that. Most of those things have hurt me before, and they're not things I can control.

And...this is the definition I've gotten for eccentric (not directed specifically at anyone)

I apologize for my hurtful words. If your belief in such things has been with you for a long time and nobody can touch them then I do think you would be considered eccentric by the majority.

I don't know why people consider me eccentric. I am only aware of one possibility and that is the way I communicate. I consider myself a pedant. I have a tendency of going way into detail when I talk about things I know about. If I don't know much about a topic of interest I research it for countless hours then when I see that person again I just start explaining it out of nowhere.

Even though I go way into detail I'm also pretty good at simplifying complex things. I plan on making use of this ability by learning as much as I can about physics. Maybe my obsession with time will pay off in the long run.

Vanahera I again apologize for my harsh words. I encourage you to be your own person. When one is true to their true being happiness tends to follow.

#23 Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 AM

well, my belly sticks out quite a lot; so I guess that makes me eccentric.

#24 Old 08-31-2009, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

well, my belly sticks out quite a lot; so I guess that makes me eccentric.

Darn, when my belly does that, people just call me fat. On the flip side, that means we must be good cooks.
#25 Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I think my dad could have been considered eccentric. He wore sportsgirl jumpers and my school socks and at one stage used a woman's handbag before the term manbag was coined.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page