Do you think narcissism is inherently bad? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

So I've just been putting together some pictures to put in an old world map that I had framed, that I no longer have use for. I decided to reuse the frame and do some sort of collage of pictures.

Once I got everything set up I noticed that I was in every single picture, and it made me begin to wonder if I'm actually a narcissist.

Some definitions I have read imply that the word inherently means to excess, but others have just said things like self-love or such.

Do you think narcissism denotes excessive self-love, and if you do, what word would you use for non-excessive narcissism.

Random thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I think narcissism is fine...but when it starts to harm others or dangerously turns into entitlement etc...then it's an issue.
#3 Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It depends on the degree of narcissism I think. More often than not, it's a very unattractive quality, especially if it occurs as the clinical disorder, but I have known someone who had a hint of it, used it to their advantage and it was sort of charismatic.

m8itcanw8.com
#4 Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that it is "extreme self love". I love myself (most days...lol) but not to the point where I love others less. As long as it doesn't progress to that, it's all good

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#5 Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Self-love is good. Pride is pointless, in many cases, harmful.
#7 Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTigress View Post

I think that it is "extreme self love". I love myself (most days...lol) but not to the point where I love others less. As long as it doesn't progress to that, it's all good

this is how I personally view it. It definitely isn't damaging anyone. I personally thought it was weird that I was in all the pictures.
#8 Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Narcissism is a term that I think implies eccess. It's amusing, if you're Yngwie Malmsteen or something, but not an attractive quality.

Self-love is fine, but I would find it very weird if I was in every photo on a collage.
#9 Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.walrus View Post

Narcissism is a term that I think implies eccess. It's amusing, if you're Yngwie Malmsteen or something, but not an attractive quality.

Self-love is fine, but I would find it very weird if I was in every photo on a collage.

even if you have no children or significant other, but your parents and siblings are in them as well?
#10 Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

For me? No.

For everyone else? Yes.
#11 Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by African_Prince View Post

Self-love is good. Pride is pointless, in many cases, harmful.

Why is pride pointless? I have alot of pride in my son. Im proud when I do well at something. You have never been proud of anything?
#12 Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

nar·cis·sism (närs-szm) KEY also nar·cism (-szm) KEY

NOUN:

1. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.

2. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem. 3. Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one's own body or self, especially as a fixation on or a regression to an infantile stage of development.

4. The attribute of the human psyche charactized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits.

Number 2 concerns me as we have someone in a position of authority at work who exhibits these characteristics and it is negatively impacting some of the staff. There is a definite abuse of power and the need to control every situation.
#13 Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

4. The attribute of the human psyche charactized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits.

me. but sometimes it can get a little out of control

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#14 Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

There are different degrees of narcissism. I think everyone has at least a little bit of this trait, but some are much worse than others.

Extreme cases of it result in the narcissistic personality disorder. The definition for narcissistic personality disorder is complicated. There is more to true narcissism than ''self-love,'' though I don't have my psych notes with me to explain in more detail. Actually, someone with this disorder does not truly love themselves. Their self-esteem is very fragile, though they may not even realize it, and they cover it up by acting as if they love themselves, bragging about themselves etc.

I did used to know someone whom I strongly suspect was a true narcissist. He was a toxic person. He was charismatic, manipulative, and made people feel bad about themselves without them even realizing that it was him doing it. He was a scary person to be around for long periods of time. So to answer the title of the thread, no I do not think narcissism is ''bad'' but I do think it is bad and harmful for regular people to interact with a true narcissist. I think people who have this disorder should be pitied and need help, though I don't think they usually change.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#15 Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

nar·cis·sism (närs-szm) KEY also nar·cism (-szm) KEY

NOUN:

1. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.

2. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem. 3. Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one's own body or self, especially as a fixation on or a regression to an infantile stage of development.

Number 2 concerns me as we have someone in a position of authority at work who exhibits these characteristics and it is negatively impacting some of the staff. There is a definite abuse of power and the need to control every situation.

Yes, that second one describes the personality disorder. That's the explanation I was having trouble putting into words.

sorry for the double post.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#16 Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Beginner

My dad, cousin and "friend" are narcissistic. They are EXTREMELY charming and nice, but care very little other people (they hide this). My dad just told me that he never loved me, which is no surprise. He THINKS he loves people and covers his feelings with charm.

It is SO easy to say that narcissists aren't inherently bad.

But how many of you are the child of a narcissist? Or the wife? Or the mother?

As the child, I can say that a narcissistic parent can ruin your life -forever-. They don't care if you don't have a bed to sleep on (as long as they have a bed!). They don't care if you only have one shirt to wear all year to school (as long as they are saving money for their retirement!).

My narcissistic "friend" makes comments like, "My fiance might be my soul mate, and then again they might not be. I might break it off with him tomorrow, just like I did with my last 3 fiances." They don't have any feelings for other people.

Obviously, it all depends on how narcissistic you are. My dad had the narcissistic disorder.
#17 Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Interesting subject. I personally do not respect narcissistic people. It's a sign of weakness in human behavior relatively linking to selfishness, and un-caring of others. My guess is, some of the most evil human beings are (were) narcissistic, such as Hitler,Saddam Hussein...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page