Football! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

I know it's just the pre-season, but HEY.

Football is going on again!

Anyone beyond excited?!

There is a game tonight Saints vs. Bengals - which I don't care about the Bengals at all, what a crap team, but oh man, just the fact that football has started again, I'm sooooo thrilled.

Talk about it!

I gotta get back on my bike and get to a bar with a TV for it.
Mr. H. likes this.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 PM

I LOOOOOOVE Football.....Esp My Fave Chicago Bears....They Played Saturday Night....I didnt get to see the game I was coming back from being out of town.....But I heard they lost 27-20....Oh well theres more games to win...get the losses out of their system early!!
#3 Old 08-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Ohh... Chabal!

The man who made me love Rugby Union - the only sort of football that actually counts.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#4 Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Very happy but also sad that Tony Gonzolez left our team. Big fan. Like rip my heart out...

We do fantasy football here. Not into pre-season but waiting for the real stuff. Pumped about our QB(kiss our butt, NE..lol)
#5 Old 08-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm hoping that I get to watch some Dolphins games on TV. I can probably watch all of them on the internet, but that's not as comfortable.
#6 Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Banned

Man U didn't look too convincing against Birmingham just now.

Lets see how Liverpool does against Sprus as both are tipped to be in the top 5 this year. But I am certainly curious to see how Man City does with all of their acquisitions...

Of course I'll be supporting Hearts when they face Dundee tomorrow...
#7 Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 AM

Hey! Where's the love for college football? Please tell me there are other college fans in here!

I'm actually planning on having vegan college football Saturdays at my place this fall. I'm an LSU alum and fan, so I will be making gumbo and red beans and rice to represent south Louisiana proper as we will have a good "bounce back" season.

I think we have a shot at beating out Bama and Ole Miss for the SEC West title. It should be a three team race. I think Ole Miss, while pretty good, is overrated. Bama, otoh, is not. They are very good. We have a pretty brutal schedule this year (playing the four strongest teams in SEC that are not LSU -- UGA, Florida, Ole Miss and Bama), so it will be tough going, but I'm hoping for a prestigious bowl game this year.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

On the NFL side (I live in St. Louis), look for the Rams to be much improved this year. I mean it's hard to be worse than we were last year (only the Lions were worse!), but I think we will make substantial steps in the climb to mediocrity this year. I'm hoping we win 5-6 games -- that seems realistic since we should actually have an above average offense. Our o-line is legitimately good, and we have Stephen Jackson, who is very good. Bulger is an above average qb. There are some question marks at receiver, but overall, the offense will be able to score, and keep us in a lot of games.
#8 Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Ohh... Chabal!

The man who made me love Rugby Union - the only sort of football that actually counts.

Well hello...
#9 Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregatron View Post

Hey! Where's the love for college football? Please tell me there are other college fans in here!

I'm actually planning on having vegan college football Saturdays at my place this fall. I'm an LSU alum and fan, so I will be making gumbo and red beans and rice to represent south Louisiana proper as we will have a good "bounce back" season.

I think we have a shot at beating out Bama and Ole Miss for the SEC West title. It should be a three team race. I think Ole Miss, while pretty good, is overrated. Bama, otoh, is not. They are very good. We have a pretty brutal schedule this year (playing the four strongest teams in SEC that are not LSU -- UGA, Florida, Ole Miss and Bama), so it will be tough going, but I'm hoping for a prestigious bowl game this year.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

On the NFL side (I live in St. Louis), look for the Rams to be much improved this year. I mean it's hard to be worse than we were last year (only the Lions were worse!), but I think we will make substantial steps in the climb to mediocrity this year. I'm hoping we win 5-6 games -- that seems realistic since we should actually have an above average offense. Our o-line is legitimately good, and we have Stephen Jackson, who is very good. Bulger is an above average qb. There are some question marks at receiver, but overall, the offense will be able to score, and keep us in a lot of games.

Not too big of a NFL fan but I'm a huge college fan as well! Born and raised in Nebraska so I'm a Cornhusker fan all the way. But hey we have your old coach Pelini..big expectations from him this year. Went 9-4 his first year coaching us. I'm soooo ready for the season to start! Sept. 5 cannot get here any sooner!
#10 Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

uh hello yeah. I think LSU will knock out Ole Miss pretty easily - but Alabama will put up a stiff stiff fight. That will be a great game to watch.

Saints won 17-7.

#11 Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 AM

Vegchica13: yeah I'm expecting good things from the Huskers, but they are in a tough conference. It might take them a few more years to challenge for the whole Big 12, and Mizzou and KU are both tough, so it will be hard for them to take even the division.

Kenickie: I would not say that Ole Miss will be "easy." They are good, and nothing to sneeze at this year. They should enjoy it wile it lasts though. This is their last real shot for some time to come.
#12 Old 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

We saw the Giants at training camp this week but they may not be here next year so it may be the last time. I probably won't be watching a lot of football this season, but my father is a big Browns fan so I know I'm going to hear about it.
#13 Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Vegchica13: yeah I'm expecting good things from the Huskers, but they are in a tough conference. It might take them a few more years to challenge for the whole Big 12, and Mizzou and KU are both tough, so it will be hard for them to take even the division.

Kenickie: I would not say that Ole Miss will be "easy." They are good, and nothing to sneeze at this year. They should enjoy it wile it lasts though. This is their last real shot for some time to come.

Very tough conference. We play OU and TT again this year but this time at home at least. I think we have the KU game easily, they had a good run in 2007 but I think that was a fluke. The Mizzou game we play there on a Thursday night so it will definitely be tough BUT they lost several of their starters so I still think we have a good chance. I am pretty optimistic but you never know until that first game. We are preseason favorites to take the North. We shall see!
#14 Old 08-16-2009, 11:53 AM

let me rephrase - the ole miss lsu game will be exciting to watch. but i'm on lsu's side mos def for that game. i think lsu will beat them with a point margin- maybe of 3 to 7 points. with alabama, it could come down to 1-3.

#15 Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

let me rephrase - the ole miss lsu game will be exciting to watch. but i'm on lsu's side mos def for that game. i think lsu will beat them with a point margin- maybe of 3 to 7 points. with alabama, it could come down to 1-3.

I like how you think. Beat Bama!
#16 Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I like how you think. Beat Bama!

will be very close. they could lose on a technicality.

#17 Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

College football fan only. Having attended two universities with good (usually) football teams, I usually watch so much football on Saturdays that I'm burned out on it by the time Sunday rolls around, so I skip the NFL.

Looks like my Georgia Tech team is the favorite in the ACC this year. We had a good season last year, given that that it was the first year for the coach and the completely new offensive setup. Hopefully, it'll be even better this year.

--Fromper

#18 Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

<--Sooner born

<--Sooner bred

<--when he dies, he'll be a Sooner dead

#19 Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Banned

I can't believe the Spurs beat Liverpool at White Hart Lane yesterday: 2-1! Looks like Spurs may have a good year as predicted...
#20 Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I normally rooted for the Eagles, but due to the whole Vick thing I'm not supporting them this year. I figured I'd pick a random team to go for this year. I'm going with the Detroit Lions as they're an underdog

My fiancee is a HUGE Cowboys fan, but I can't bring myself to root for them
#21 Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 AM

GT is favored to win the ACC? I had no idea. I was thinking VTech or FSU. I'm thinking UNC will be better than people expect.

The ACC is an interesting conference -- they don't have any great teams, but they do have a lot of good ones. They are a very deep conference.

College football is a bit of a crap shot, so I'm not sure who will win that conference, but I am expecting one team to "break out." The question is, who will it be?

FSU? They probably have the most talent, but their coach sucks. Badly. (Yeah, I'm talking about the supposedly legendary Bobby Bowden, who squanders more talent than anyone.)

GT? Possibly. They could surprise some people.

VTech? Yeah, they are probably the most consistent teams. They could do it.

I'm thinking UNC will step up and surprise a lot of people. But I could easily be wrong about that.
#22 Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm... just double checked. Apparently, different sites say different things. GT does seem to be behind VT on most lists, so I guess they're not the favorite. But I did see them at the top of the list on a site about a week ago, though I'm not sure which site. Given the 9-4 record last year while still getting used to the completely new offensive style, I think Tech should be able to build on that for an even better season this year.

But we did just lose our second string quarterback for at least the first half of the season due to a recent injury in practice. He got a lot of playing time last year, including starting when Nesbitt was injured, so losing him might hurt. I just hope our top QB can stay healthy.

--Fromper

#23 Old 08-17-2009, 02:11 PM

#24 Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Brett Favre is never, ever, ever going to retire, is he? Darn, I thought for sure this would be the year. I guess he got the Vikings.
#25 Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

Burnley! BURNLEY!
#26 Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

Brett Favre is never, ever, ever going to retire, is he? Darn, I thought for sure this would be the year. I guess he got the Vikings.

I think after this year he will be done.he just want to beat green bay after the way they screwed him
#27 Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

I think after this year he will be done.he just want to beat green bay after the way they screwed him

Nah, was the last year and the year before not good enough? Take the check and run. lol it's getting old.
#28 Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

Nah, was the last year and the year before not good enough? Take the check and run. lol it's getting old.

I like the guy myself I think hes a good QB. I just think if your going to stay in the game stop waffling back and forth.
#29 Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned

I could possibly forgive Favre for waffling if he would just pronounce his name correctly.
#30 Old 08-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoustacheJohn View Post

I could possibly forgive Favre for waffling if he would just pronounce his name correctly.

lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page