Football! - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#61 Old 09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

for being "the crown jewel" of the big 10, ohio played terribly today.

they lost a 15pt lead and there was a point where it looked like they were going to win only by a single point, if they won at all. jeez.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 09-05-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

for being "the crown jewel" of the big 10, ohio played terribly today.

they lost a 15pt lead and there was a point where it looked like they were going to win only by a single point, if they won at all. jeez.

#63 Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I just like the uniforms. Can I still play along?
#64 Old 09-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Mormons 14

Normans 13
#65 Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting starting Saturday to the college season. Not as exciting overall as I would have liked, but a couple of fun moments.

Navy gave Ohio State a scare. I was rooting for Navy to make that 2 pointer, but I wasn't really expecting them to pull off the win.

Oklahoma's Heisman winner got knocked out with an injury in the second quarter, which paved the way for BYU to upset them. That ended up being the only upset of a ranked team.

Alabama predictably beat up on Virginia Tech, in a game whose score was closer than it should have been.

My Georgia Tech team had the expected easy victory over Jacksonville State, so I'm satisfied there.

Elsewhere in the ACC, Duke and Virginia held a competition to see who could come up with the most embarrassing loss. The Colonial Conference (???) is now 2-0 over the ACC this year.

Remind me again why certain conferences get automatic BCS bowl bids? Obviously, I'll be happy if one of my two schools (both ACC) wins the conference and gets one of those big bowls. But I really don't see why conference should be a determining factor when some of them have bad years where they obviously don't deserve it, like the Big East and ACC in recent years.

--Fromper

#66 Old 09-06-2009, 01:01 AM

uh, there were moments in the LSU game were i was very angry, but i had to give my boys a break - they had never travelled that far, it was a different timezone, i tried not to hate on them too much, or freak out otomiks friends who i was meeting for the first time by screaming my head off. too much happened in that game that made LSU look foolish, i am too proud of that team for them to behaving in such a manner!!!!

but.

yes, bama beat Vtech, yeah i expected that, there were lots of other games that went on tonight that i was like why is this so close?!

and then it was great to see those scores that were like 72-0. seriously? don't even wake up in the morning.

#67 Old 09-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I mainly follow the CFL and the BC Lions are my team. But I somewhat follow the NFL and the Bears are my team - hopefully with the big upgrade at quarterback they'll be better this year.

The BC Lions lost a couple of pretty good players to the NFL this year so I'll be watching to see how they do:

Stefan Logan signed with the Steelers and just returned a punt for an 80 yard touchdown against the Panthers. He's good. He's really good.

And Cam Wake was a monster on the D-line and he signed with the Dolphins. Most observers say he's not big enough to be a lineman in the NFL so he'll probably play as a linebacker. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to the new position and how effective he'll be there.
#68 Old 09-06-2009, 02:45 PM

i think that there was talk of reforming the way college football works with that BCS stuff, but who knows if that will ever happen?

and with oklahoma drop down a #?!?! how could the 3rd ranked team lose like that?

those in norman are quite upset today.

#69 Old 09-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i think that there was talk of reforming the way college football works with that BCS stuff, but who knows if that will ever happen?

and with oklahoma drop down a #?!?! how could the 3rd ranked team lose like that?

those in norman are quite upset today.

Yeah, I'm still waiting to see how the BCS gets changed, but it'll take at least a couple of years.

As for Oklahoma, they'll definitely drop, probably out of the top 10. That's what having your Heisman winning QB knocked out with an injury in the 2nd quarter can do to a team. And it's not like they were pushovers even after the injury - give credit to BYU for being a good enough team to take advantage of the opportunity. They proved they deserve their top 20 ranking, even if they're not quite top 10 caliber.

--Fromper

#70 Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Remind me again why certain conferences get automatic BCS bowl bids? Obviously, I'll be happy if one of my two schools (both ACC) wins the conference and gets one of those big bowls. But I really don't see why conference should be a determining factor when some of them have bad years where they obviously don't deserve it, like the Big East and ACC in recent years.

--Fromper

Because automatic tie ins guarantee bowls teams from conferences that historically give them teams with good crowds. FTR, in the past 4 years, the Big East is 3-1 in its BCS bowls, with wins over the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 champions. The ACC has struggled, but Virginia Tech has generally represented the conference well with strong crowds when it has won the bid.

The previous bowl system would have had roughly similar teams in the major bowls, as even though the bids were open, they still went on who would bring a crowd over who was higher ranked. Because of the competitive nature of the process, bowls were making bids earlier and earlier to try and land teams that were on track for good seasons, but with the creation of championship games by some conferences, the likelihood of getting stuck with a team with a disappointing end to their season greatly increased. To protect themselves, the bowls formed the coalition to divide the teams at a later date, and the compromise from the 6 big conferences was that each would get a guaranteed bid.

A couple of the major bowls had ties that went back decades, and those still hold true to an extent. The SEC champion will likely go to the Sugar Bowl, the ACC champ will be in the Orange, and the Big 10/11 and Pac 10 still have tie-ins to the Rose Bowl.
#71 Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM

oklahoma is now ranked 13th

i didn't catch the rest of the rankings.

#72 Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oklahoma is now ranked 13th

i didn't catch the rest of the rankings.

BYU pulled into the top 10 after beating OU. I think BYU is ranked too high now... they beat Oklahoma by injuring the Heisman winning QB, not by being the better team. Even with the backup QB in for Oklahoma the entire second half, BYU only won by 1 point.

FSU dropped out of the top 25 and Miami moved in to take their place. Both of them desperately need to get a defense.

My Georgia Tech team stayed at 15th place, so no change there. They play Clemson Thursday night, which could be interesting, but probably not too difficult. Then they've got BYU the following week, which will be their first real challenge, but I really think Tech's the better team, despite the current rankings.

--Fromper

#73 Old 09-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE football!

Living in Arizona now I guess I am supposed to be a Cardinals fan, but my heart will always belong to Da Bears...and to a lesser extent The Packers...I used to go to those games with my Dad when I was growing up.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#74 Old 09-08-2009, 03:42 PM

LSU is still 11. sigh.

#75 Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

#76 Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieShane View Post

Any Americans or Europeans heard of AFL (Aussie Rules)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_hqosNvv5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PFRrJQtew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlgcLrpswhg

Like Rugby but with more violence?
#77 Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

LSU is still 11. sigh.

This early in the season, rankings really don't mean much, anyway. That's the one thing the BCS does right - they don't publish their first rankings of the season until everybody's had a chance to play a few games and show how good/bad they really are.

--Fromper

#78 Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieShane View Post

Any Americans or Europeans heard of AFL (Aussie Rules)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_hqosNvv5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PFRrJQtew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlgcLrpswhg

Sav Rocca currently plays for the Philadelphia Eagles (American football).
#79 Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 AM

I love Da Bears!!! I am looking forward to watching the season (as much as I can, my life doesn't revolve around it or anything). I hope that Culter gets to play some.

It's my goal to someday see a game in Soldier Field!!!
#80 Old 09-12-2009, 01:40 PM

so OSU v USC primetime game tonight. apparently *here* it's a large point of contention here because USC creamed OSU last time.

watching OSU is pretty entertaining. at least they are a good team.

#81 Old 09-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

That's all I care about.

#82 Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Looks like Michigan is off to a good start.
#83 Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEnigma View Post

Looks like Michigan is off to a good start.

Scratch that. Not looking so hot right now.
#84 Old 09-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEnigma View Post

Scratch that. Not looking so hot right now.

michigan is never hot.

what, you guys get 0931829431759834795874 feet of snow a year???

#85 Old 09-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:

michigan is never hot.

what, you guys get 0931829431759834795874 feet of snow a year???

Hey, I was sweating my ass off all week.
#86 Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 PM

uhuh, oh god, it's 45 degrees in michigan!

#87 Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by awnree1 View Post

I love Da Bears!!! I am looking forward to watching the season (as much as I can, my life doesn't revolve around it or anything). I hope that Culter gets to play some.

It's my goal to someday see a game in Soldier Field!!!

Yes, you have to go! Soldier Field was re-done a few years ago so its supposedly "nicer"..

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#88 Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Norman, and yes our loss to the Mormons was pretty tough. They beat Idaho St 64-0 tonight though!

We actually went to the game but left at half. The rain was coming down, and it was pretty clear the Sooners were going to win. If only they could have done it last week.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
#89 Old 09-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

Yes, you have to go! Soldier Field was re-done a few years ago so its supposedly "nicer"..

I'm all for it! Not gonna happen this year unless I win tickets or something! darn college expenses!

It's on my 'bucket list.'
#90 Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 AM

OSU lost by 3 points.

aye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page