Are most people good? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

#1 Old 08-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Banned

Would you say that the majority of people that come across on a daily basis, complete strangers, co-workers, friends/family members etc., are compassionate, morally conscious people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes.
#3 Old 08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

Most people appear to be "okay".

ebola
#4 Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I find it hard to say because I don't really get to examine most people's moral character unless I know them or have extended interactions with them.

But I do believe that people are inherently good at the start. They may become bad (or behave badly; there's a difference) later for various reasons (including environmental reasons, chemical imbalances/brain malformations/mental disorders, etc.), but I've always believed that people start out as good and morally compassionate. Obviously, not everyone stays that way or we (society, the world, us as individuals) wouldn't have most of the problems we do.

For the most part, though, I think that most people are probably good people. Whether they make moral decisions that I agree with in regards to their treatment of animals is another story. I know a lot of good, compassionate people (my mom, for example) who are omnis and have no interest in veg*nism (for various reasons). As much as I may disagree, I don't believe that that inherently disqualifies them from being compassionate, caring people.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#5 Old 08-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

I think most of the humans I come across on a daily basis are trash. Rude, obnoxious ****heads who can't mind their own business.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 PM

cant really say....dont wanna put ALL people in a group...I come in contact with good and not sooo good people daily....so its about even.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

No.
Purp likes this.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 08-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

How do we define good? most people that I know are basically ok people but their ethical and moral standards runs on a sliding scale that suits themselves, compassion and humility seam to be a scarce.
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vefo View Post

How do we define good? most people that I know are basically ok people but their ethical and moral standards runs on a sliding scale that suits themselves, compassion and humility seam to be a scarce.

Someone is 'good', in my view, when they are empathetic/compassionate and humble.
#10 Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
ket
Veggie Regular

I really have no idea.
#11 Old 08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say, very generally, people are good but a bit weak and easily convinced of things.
#12 Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 PM

I think human beings have the capacity to be very good or very evil.

(Most people I meet annoy me though!)
#13 Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Administrator

I think most people think they are.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#14 Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by African_Prince View Post

Someone is 'good', in my view, when they are empathetic/compassionate and humble.

"Good" to me is having some sense of moral virtue or a moral compass. I think people generally know what the "right" thing to do is, but because of pressures from others/society and egocentrism, they act differently than what their first instincts might be.

Empathetic would not be the best word to describe "good," IMO, for no one can empathize with everyone. We might, however, be able to sympathize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I think human beings have the capacity to be very good or very evil.

I agree.
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Beginner

I think this is a pretty pointless question. People aren't good or bad, people are people. We are always going to judge other and hold them accountable to standards that we set and attempt to abide by certain rules that we believe to be correct for ourselves, but to try and put any objective value on good and bad just smacks of religion and dogmatism to me.
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Simple answer... yes.

More complicated answer... I don't have time right now to elaborate.
Tom likes this.
#17 Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, they just have other morals.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#18 Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post

I think this is a pretty pointless question. People aren't good or bad, people are people. We are always going to judge other and hold them accountable to standards that we set and attempt to abide by certain rules that we believe to be correct for ourselves, but to try and put any objective value on good and bad just smacks of religion and dogmatism to me.

Saying that someone is 'good' is a value judgement, not an objective analysis, in the same way that I might say certain food is delicious or a certain book is interesting. I might as well have asked 'are most people compassionate?'.

Quote:
for no one can empathize with everyone. We might, however, be able to sympathize.

To 'sympathize' means 'to suffer with'. 'Empathy' means 'in feeling'.
#19 Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

People are innately good, just vulnerable to bad thoughts, action, and intent.
Purp likes this.
#20 Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Beginner

that's a really hard question. it's easier to focus on the negative and so my immediate knee jerk reaction is no, but i think most people are pretty decent. i just wish people would quit being so half-arsed with their compassion.
Purp likes this.
#21 Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

#22 Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Beginner

I think most people are selfish to the extent that any compassion they may be capable of is disregarded because they think it's too difficult to do the right thing so they don't even bother trying - that is, unless the right thing to do is a social norm and as such doesn't really require the person to think about it too much.
#23 Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes.
#24 Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by African_Prince View Post

To 'sympathize' means 'to suffer with'. 'Empathy' means 'in feeling'.

To sympathize means to feel pity or sorrow for someone else's misfortune. To empathize means to understand and directly identify with another's situation, feelings, and experiences.

You can only empathize with someone if you have personally experienced what he or she is going through.

You can sympathize with everyone.
#25 Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but I do not think the majority of Americans are what I would consider good people. Some put on the act in public, but most aren't really what I would call good deep down.
#26 Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

To sympathize means to feel pity or sorrow for someone else's misfortune. To empathize means to understand and directly identify with another's situation, feelings, and experiences.

You can only empathize with someone if you have personally experienced what he or she is going through.

You can sympathize with everyone.

The word 'empathy' comes from 'Einfühlung', 'ein' meaning 'in' and 'fuhlung' meaning 'feeling'. 'Sympathy' comes from 'syn', meaning 'together' and 'pathos' meaning 'feeling'.

Almost everyone has experienced one of the four basic emotions (happiness, sadness, anger and fear) to some degree, even if they haven't been in every possible situation that could cause that emotional response.
#27 Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I think most people are good.
#28 Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

in new orleans, yes. the rest of the world, not so much.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#29 Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, there are a few people hanging by our window now dropping a series of F-Bombs, so that makes me want to say no.

But I don't like to generalise. Most of the time we hear on the media of bad people doing bad things, and such similar things. I don't believe that is representative of the general population, although it may feel that way sometime. I think there are more good people that bad people.
#30 Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwardTour View Post

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but I do not think the majority of Americans are what I would consider good people. Some put on the act in public, but most aren't really what I would call good deep down.

Seriously?! You think the majority of people in America are bad people? How are they bad?

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page