Animal Cops: HSPCA and Iams - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know who here watches Animal Cops on Animal Planet, but I do, and lately I've noticed that Houston SPCA feeds Iams products to the animals it rescues. Do you think it would be a good idea to contact them about it? As long as they use Iams, their mission statement on the top of their homepage will be very contradictory.

http://www.spcahouston.org

"The mission of the Houston SPCA is to promote commitment to and respect for all animals and to free them from suffering, abuse and exploitation."

If they really do want to end exploitation they might agree to switch to a more humane product. Should we all contact them about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

I think that is a great idea, most of the food spca's and animal shelter get is donated. You kinda have to look at it this way, because most shelters are on a strict budget either put down more animals to save expenses or to buy another dog food or feed donated food. Which is more important, I would have to say saving more dogs.
#3 Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

I woouldn't contact you may be doing more harm then good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade193 View Post

I woouldn't contact you may be doing more harm then good.

How could it do harm?

I didn't know that all their food would be donated. I guess I won't email.

I guess I should have done more research first.
#5 Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Because if they get enogh letters then Peta will be on their a** too. They will get backed into a corner. I think when it comes to saving animals it shoudn't matter what food they are eating because the number one goal should be saving their lives, not worry about how to feed these animals. I can;t stand Iams either that why I only feed my pets safe products.At least Iams is helping these animals have a chance. It's better than nothing.If you want to help animals in Houston maybe try raising money to feed them a different product, then it is a win situation for everyone.
#6 Old 02-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

You're going to have to contact almost every shelter in america if you want to make sure nobody is feeding dogs food that's been met tested. Iams, Purina, Science Diet, Eukanuba, etc, etc.... Unless the shelter is lucky enough to recieve a discount on a premium quality brand (such as my shelter being located near the Eagle Pack headquarters) they're going to be hard pressed to get the money needed to switch to something better. It's sad, but there are just too many other issues they need to deal with.
#7 Old 02-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

You're going to have to contact almost every shelter in america if you want to make sure nobody is feeding dogs food that's been met tested.

Umm..no I don't. I can't write to every slaughterhouse but that doesn't mean I can't write to one. I can't write to everyone about animal cruelty. But that doesn't mean I can't write to some. Similarily, just because I can't write to every shelter/vet office, doesn't mean I can't write to one.

Guess we should eat meat since we can't stop all animals from being killed. Your logic depresses me.

I don't care if everyone's doing it, I still will fight for the animals.

But like I already said, I changed my mind about the email because I didn't realize the products were donated.
#8 Old 02-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

So you would rather let a animal die because you don't like Iams. Life isn't fair, I don't agree with but I can't afford to be their sponsor, can you? Is that something you are up for letting inoscent animals die because the shelters can't afford other dog food. Why are you vegan or vegetarian?I do it for the animals, I think you need to ask yourself the same question. . Have you ever volunteered at a animal shelter? Ever rescued a pitbull from a rescue center? If you haven't then I truely feel sorry for you if you haven't lived . The day I rescued Moxie if was going to be put to sleep if he didn't have a home. I saved his life, he improved mine and I am a better person for that. I'm sure he was feed iams, so what, at least he was given a chance at lfe, all dogs deserve that. Why not educate future pet owners, so when these animals get a home they can be feed something different more humane. But for now the number one goal should be saving these dogs not trying to debate who should be sponsoring these animals.

How are you fighting for animal, your willing to let animal shelters suffer. Most of these shelters do have good tecs or volunteers. They are working with very low funds they are doing the best they can.
#9 Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So you would rather let a animal die because you don't like Iams. Life isn't fair, I don't agree with but I can't afford to be their sponsor, can you? Is that something you are up for letting inoscent animals die because the shelters can't afford other dog food. Why are you vegan or vegetarian?I do it for the animals, I think you need to ask yourself the same question. . Have you ever volunteered at a animal shelter? Ever rescued a pitbull from a rescue center? If you haven't then I truely feel sorry for you if you haven't lived . The day I rescued Moxie if was going to be put to sleep if he didn't have a home. I saved his life, he improved mine and I am a better person for that. I'm sure he was feed iams, so what, at least he was given a chance at lfe, all dogs deserve that. Why not educate future pet owners, so when these animals get a home they can be feed something different more humane. But for now the number one goal should be saving these dogs not trying to debate who should be sponsoring these animals.

Huh? Who are you directing this to? Because I never said I wanted a shelter to stop feeding animals.
#10 Old 02-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Do you have any resonable solutions butterfly?
#11 Old 02-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What the hell? You messaged me about being rude, and I said you weren't, so now you want to make sure I think you are??

I'll say it again since no one is listening. I did not realize the food products were donated!!!

If they were purchased the "resonable solution" you ask for would be to purchase something else. But since they are donated I take back my idea.

(I really wish we had the ability to delete our own threads, because some people just don't know how to read....either that or I'm just saying everything wrong and everyone keeps misunderstanding me)
#12 Old 02-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Well since I now know that was directed at me, I'll respond to it.

Quote:

Is that something you are up for letting inoscent animals die because the shelters can't afford other dog food.

Hmmm. Never realized that Iams is the cheapest petfood around. Where I live it's one of the most expensive.

Quote:

Why are you vegan or vegetarian?

For the animals. What are you getting at? I'm not really vegan if I don't love vivisection? Interesting. I didn't know slicing animals was compassionate.

Quote:

Have you ever volunteered at a animal shelter?

Not yet, and you can't put blame on me. I've lived in really small towns that had no shelters. Now I live near one but I am extremely busy with college while looking for an apartment and work. I already planned to volunteer at a shelter as soon as I'm settled in. I've been talking to everyone about that for months because I'm so excited about doing it.

Quote:

Ever rescued a pitbull from a rescue center?

No. Why does it have to be a pitbull??

I would be starving a dog to death if I rescued one because I can't afford it until I get settled here. Why does everyone seem to think that I'm a bad person or uncaring about animals by not being able to afford to adopt all the shelter animals or to take strays and pay $20 for each of them to be dropped off at shelters...

Quote:

If you haven't then I truely feel sorry for you if you haven't lived .

Right. So I guess I should kill myself because I'm not rich yet or don't have an animal sanctuary? If I can't save them all I'm useless?

Quote:

I'm sure he was feed iams, so what, at least he was given a chance at lfe, all dogs deserve that.

Ironic statement. And what about the dogs that were killed for Iams? You just said so yourself that they all deserve life. And I did not say we should boycott shelters that touch Iams. So stop putting words into my mouth.

Quote:

Why not educate future pet owners, so when these animals get a home they can be feed something different more humane.

I think that's a good idea to inform future animal guardians (no I don't believe in "pet owning", I bet your going to treat me like a worthless animal-hater for that too huh?)

Quote:

But for now the number one goal should be saving these dogs not trying to debate who should be sponsoring these animals.

Odd. I thought not slicing up animals was saving them. Guess I'm wrong. I guess Iams should keep it up. Lab animals aren't real animals anyways right?

Quote:

How are you fighting for animal, your willing to let animal shelters suffer. Most of these shelters do have good tecs or volunteers. They are working with very low funds they are doing the best they can.

I never said that! Stop putting sick words like that into my mouth. I am extremely hurt and offended. I care very much about all animals. Please do me a favor and point out where I said "We should tell HSPCA to stop feeding food to animals, and beat them instead", because I could of sworn I said nothing about it being wrong to feed animals.
#13 Old 02-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Michael can you please remove this thread? This thread has no purpose other than for others to bash me for not being able to save everyone. And since this is a support forum, I don't think this should be here anymore, do you?
#14 Old 02-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I do agree with you, that if they were buying Iams that they should switch to a better pet food. Iams is very overly priced and not the best quality food. They could switch to the just slightly better Nutro and save a little bit of a money. They could switch to the moderately good quality Eagle Pack and save even more money. It's ironic that better quality doesn't always equal higher prices.

One time Iams is good is if you want a dog to gain weight fast, because it is high in fat.

And your assumption might not be entirely wrong because not all shelters get donated food, some do have to buy all their food.
#15 Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

And your assumption might not be entirely wrong because not all shelters get donated food, some do have to buy all their food.

Actually I might be wrong because the website asks for food donations (as well as other donated items).
#16 Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 AM

I agree with your sentiment Bluebutterfly. I don't like it when I see IAMs in shelters (or anywhere else) either. It's probably worth it to write a letter just in case - they probably get it all donated by companies or people, BUT, it never hurts to let them know. Maybe someone there will stop feeding it to their own dog.

The people working there probably aren't idiots, and they probably won't boycott IAMs if it'll hurt the dogs in their care. And a couple people writing some letters doesn't mean PETA's going to "back them into a corner."

ETA: I just used the word "probably" way too many times.
#17 Old 02-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokara View Post

I agree with your sentiment Bluebutterfly. I don't like it when I see IAMs in shelters (or anywhere else) either. It's probably worth it to write a letter just in case - they probably get it all donated by companies or people, BUT, it never hurts to let them know. Maybe someone there will stop feeding it to their own dog.

The people working there probably aren't idiots, and they probably won't boycott IAMs if it'll hurt the dogs in their care. And a couple people writing some letters doesn't mean PETA's going to "back them into a corner."

ETA: I just used the word "probably" way too many times.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I'm going to write a letter. I'm probably just going to write to someone else. After all, there are many things I could right to, places that need letter writing more than HSPCA. I'm starting to get into letter writing, and DawnWatch helps me alot.

( http://www.dawnwatch.com/ )
#18 Old 02-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I watch those shows too and I think you should email them. At least they would be aware of the issue about Iams, etc. Then of course they will make their own choices after that.
#19 Old 02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oh, me! me! i do!

I'm sure if they were aware of the situation, they could put a post on their site saying that for people donating food that <insert brand> is preferred, but they'll accept any help they can get. which would make le problem smalllerrr, plus the food they buy themselves through money donations will be put towards a better quality, less expensive, more humane food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page