Vegan Fast Food, Please Vote! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2004, 01:31 PM

Hey!

I entered my idea for a Vegetarian Fast Food Restaurant to IdeasHappen, so check it out!

http://ideashappen.msn.com/Entries/D....aspx?id=13415

If you think it's a good idea, please vote for it. If I win, I get $25,000 to make my dream a reality.

Here's the essay I gave:

I think it would be a great idea to open a vegetarian fast food restaurant. The natural foods industry is a $34 billion business that has experienced what Wall Street folks call 'hyper growth' over the last decade. In fact, fake meat's current 48 percent growth rate makes it one of the top ten fastest growing categories in U.S. supermarkets. Research shows that the vegetarian food market will continue to grow for the next five years at a rate of 100% - 125%.

A simple comparison of the fat and calorie content of leading fast food restaurants comparing beef hamburgers and a vegetable based one shows that not only is it nealry half the calories, but 1/3 the fat. A Whopper contains 39 grams of fat, while the BK Veggie has 10. A Big Mac contains 30 grams of fat, and 560 callories. A comparable veggie burger contains 340.

By simply offering veggie burgers, imitation chicken, corn dogs and chili dogs, vegetable stir fry, and a vegan bakery, it would enrich the community and help it to grow in a healthier, more positive way.

I live in San Antonio Texas. This is the 3rd fattest city in the nation, I would like to make it the healthiest.

If anyone knows a good name for it, please share! I'm thinking more and more that It should *definitley* be a vegan place, so I might have to come up with my own recipes.I was kicking around the name Vega's Compassionate Cusine.

The inside will have a mural of Eastern Religons and Mythologies on the biggest wall, and on each table will be pictures, information and quotes. It'll be something to look at. It might be a full service place with a drive thru, that might be more appropriate.

I want the rest rooms to have cute photograps of pigs, chickens, cows, sheep, and fish, and on the doors will be outlines of Roosters and Hens. Like, the door painted solid and there being a filled in outline, no detail or anything. That's just my idea.

If you have ideas, anything to add, any menu sudjestions, whatever, let me know, because whether or not I am chosen to receive the money, I'm going to find out how I can get the money to open a place like this. I know I can probably get grants and stuff. Yee-haw!

If I can get my idea into the top 10, that would mean more people see it and can vote on it. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
If anyone knows a good name for it, please share! I'm thinking more and more that It should *definitley* be a vegan place, so I might have to come up with my own recipes.I was kicking around the name Vega's Compassionate Cusine.

That is a long name. I think the name must be short. Easy to remember.

And not really linked to vegetarianism/veganism.

It will be a Vegetarian Fast Food Restaurant, so you must think as a fast food restaurant
#3 Old 10-03-2004, 04:48 AM
Beginner

Where I live, in Nottingham, England, there is a vegetarian (mostly vegan) fast food restaurant and it is fab. They sell sandwiches, vegan pizza, burgers, cakes

Great idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted for you. Way to spread the word!! Be sure to send me 10 bucks when you win
#5 Old 10-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I love naming things.

Here are my ideas and personally I think the joint should look JUST like any other fast food joint except...no animals. Maybe some cool toys in with the kiddy meals.

Las Vegans! (Hey. It's Las Vegans, Baby)

Health Express (conveys fast, healthy food)

McVegan's or McVeggie's (Hey. That's funny. Well *I* laughed.)

Veggie King (following on from the last one)

Smiling Cow or

Happy Cow or even

Considerably Less Frightened Cow

Mrs. Green's (fake possessives are so "in")

Hope that helps.

I would love to see someone start such an enterprise. Especially in Texas. Home of The Critter Pit. If you need to ask, then you don't want to know.

d
#6 Old 10-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Beginner

I like Accidental Veg's suggestions for McVeggie's or Veggie King. I don't think you should have the word "compassionate" in it because then all the omni's might think you're implying that they're not compassionate and it may turn them off from eating there. Also, if you do this, make sure to open one up in my area! Anywhere in the Kansas City, MO metro area is fine with me.
#7 Old 10-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any names to suggest, but I voted for it. I wish there was a place like that here! Fast food is one of the areas where veg options are really lacking.
#8 Old 10-05-2004, 05:10 PM

Yeah! I like this idea. I wish I had options like this around here. I think we only have 3 veg restaurants (in a huge metropolitan area!!), and some veg friendly ones. Yet, the vegetarian market is obviously growing, and I can tell by what is being stocked by grocery stores that never used to stock those items.

The big thing I miss after going veg is convenience!
#9 Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

ISmiling Cow or

Happy Cow or even

Considerably Less Frightened Cow

I love the "Considerably Less Frightened Cow"
#10 Old 10-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Heart Beet

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

I love the "Considerably Less Frightened Cow"

i loved that one too! but it's not very, er, FAST...

and the McVeggie/Veggie King thing is cute but would probably get you sued for copyright infringment.

sorry, i have no thundercat ideas. but i did vote!

#11 Old 10-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

AWE ive always wanted there to be a fast food vegan restuarant

i hope the idea gets brought to life
#12 Old 10-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll vote for you, but you have to franchise this idea and expand to Canada, capiche?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#13 Old 10-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted as well, I wish it was a common thing for there to be vegan fast food places, that would be so cool.
#14 Old 10-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

El Veggie Loco
#15 Old 10-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Beginner

I voted more than once. I don't know if that's allowed or not. Right now it has a 78% approval rating.
#16 Old 10-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted. Great idea!
#17 Old 10-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i voted too

i don't know how well a business like that would do though.

hmmm

Lets email Moby and ask him to open up a fast food chain like that, he's a cool dude and rich and vegan...... and he already owns a vegan restaurant i believe.
#18 Old 10-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangirl View Post

Where I live, in Nottingham, England, there is a vegetarian (mostly vegan) fast food restaurant and it is fab. They sell sandwiches, vegan pizza, burgers, cakes

and thats one of the reasons i want to live in Nottingham, you guys have so many veg. restaurants. Here we now have two, so there's not much choice, especially as the new one we have has very limited vegan options. Though on the plus side the original one, that is really vegan friendly offers amazing vegan milkshakes plus they have great deserts so i guess it's all about quality not quantity.

Anyway if anyones interested the website of the vegan fast food restaurant in Nottingham (UK)

http://www.v-1.co.uk

They have the menu and pictures and other stuff on there, besides making you hungry it makes you wish you lived in Nottingham.
#19 Old 10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

well, i live in asheville, so i do have lots of veg options... but I would love to see a fast food restraunt here! when you become a big chain restraunt, asheville will probally have at least two for every mcdonalds! oh ya, asheville rocks!
#20 Old 10-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Beginner

I voted for you, too. I doubt I would see one anywhere near here in Arkansas any time soon, but you have to start somewhere, huh? Good luck!
#21 Old 10-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

hey!

i'm in alabama and we had a vegetarian fast food place for many years. it certainly wasn't health food...more like soul food...but i understand that it was quite successful. it closed several months ago but i think it was probably for other reasons.

your idea is great. i voted for you, and it looks like you are doing really well. i went through a bunch of the other ideas and voted and most of them had much lower approval ratings. good luck.
#22 Old 10-14-2004, 01:00 AM

Good luck to you!

My advice would be to make it as accessible and welcoming as possible to everyone. Pattern it after fast food restaurants that people are already comfortable with, and don't emphasize the vegan aspect. You almost have to trick people to get them to try something new.

Veggies and vegans will find out about it and patronize it anyway. But if you sneak in under their radar, you can get mainstream-fast-food-eating America hooked on delicious vegan food.

Don't give up, in ten years you may have a lucrative chain on your hands. One of us has to do it first. Please let us know the outcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page