The Emmys and Fur - please read - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I just happened to be watching the Entertainment channel's red carpet show this afternoon. Star Jones, the co-host of The View was interviewing celebrities. Several times, she pointed out that she was wearing Chinchilla. So, I went to her website and let her know that I was disappointed in her clothing choice. If you care to do the same, here's the link: http://www.starjones.com/index.cfm?fa=guestbook

She may or may not get my comment, but at least I feel a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Star Jones seems to be one of those unrepetant fur fans. She promoted fur as a "must have" often on The View on other TV shows.

Like some other celebrities, she has had plenty of opportunity to learn about the reality of fur, and she remains unconcerned.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 09-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

zactly... she has spoken of her feelings on the topic frequently. it doesn't seem to bother her in the least that she is wearing the skin of a once living creature...

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Star Jones overall, but I despise this insistance of hers to ridicule those who have a problem with her wearing fur. I've listened to her on The View say mean things about the 'crazy' people that e-mail her about her pro-fur stance.

Still, I think an e-mail to her is a good idea. The more the merrier. And, actually, e-mails to her co-hosts would be a good idea to. Something along the line of, "I love you all, except for Star, because she insists on defending her barbaric taste in dead-animal-skins. She doesn't seem to care what her viewers think, perhaps if you mentioned it to her? I'm thinking of boycotting the show because it disgusts me so much."

Who knows. Maybe someday she'll be a convert and pledge on her show that she'll never buy/wear fur again (I loved that Sharon episode).
#5 Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

I like Star Jones overall, but I despise this insistance of hers to ridicule those who have a problem with her wearing fur. I've listened to her on The View say mean things about the 'crazy' people that e-mail her about her pro-fur stance.

Still, I think an e-mail to her is a good idea. The more the merrier. And, actually, e-mails to her co-hosts would be a good idea to. Something along the line of, "I love you all, except for Star, because she insists on defending her barbaric taste in dead-animal-skins. She doesn't seem to care what her viewers think, perhaps if you mentioned it to her? I'm thinking of boycotting the show because it disgusts me so much."

Who knows. Maybe someday she'll be a convert and pledge on her show that she'll never buy/wear fur again (I loved that Sharon episode).

Wow, I didn't know that that was her attitude since I have never watched The View.
#6 Old 09-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I boycott crap like hers because it is generally superficial anyway, so I wasn't aware of all this. She's so typical, isn't she?
#7 Old 09-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I never understood that. Even when I was omni if someone pointed out something like that to me, it bothered me. I couldn't just blow it off.

Now I can't even sit in a leather chair without my skin crawling.
#8 Old 09-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I never understood that. Even when I was omni if someone pointed out something like that to me, it bothered me. I couldn't just blow it off.

Now I can't even sit in a leather chair without my skin crawling.

You were clearly a VIT even then. (Vegetarian in Training)
#9 Old 09-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yikes! I've been hoodwinked!
#10 Old 09-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate sitting on leather!!! I still have leather shoes and stuff... but that huge expanse of animal skin is just impossible to deny...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 09-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya, I hate it when people brag about having a leather interior in their car. Why is that something to be proud of?? Because it costs more money to ride around with dead animal skins?
#12 Old 09-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Vegan Nurse Practitioner

I had the occassion to buy my first car in a decade, I choose to have cloth interior, the car I choose had standard leather interior. With alot of insistance, my Toyota dealer agreed to have it special made. It toke an extra couple of months, but I love it and have no guilt in sitting in it. Now I look at similar cars and say ' To bad, you have the standard road kill skin seats ' ! YUCK!
#13 Old 09-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like Star Jones. True, she doesn't care in the least about wearing fur & how animals died to make fur. It's deeply disturbing. Any celebirty that wears fur is someone I choose not to like or watch. I do watch The View sometimes because I enjoy the other hosts. Star Jones, personally makes my skin crawl & it's not just because she wears fur. I've never liked her. Just a strong intuition that she's not a nice person inside.This was before I knew she wore fur. Guess my intuition was right(as it usually is!). She's a nice *itch , as I like to say! lol
#14 Old 09-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I added an entry to her guest book, not that she will probably even read it. She probably has an assistant who screens them out. I did link the new PETA Chinchilla video for her viewing pleasure, since the coat she was wearing at the Emmys was made from the skins of these unfortunate little creatures.

You know, I actually take a lot of offense to her stance that those who oppose fur are wackos. Even when I was an omnivore, I thought fur was vile, and the vast majority of my omni friends think fur is vile too. Even those who don't retch at the sight of it think wearing fur is completely uneccessary and stupid. Oh, and, by the way, I live in Idaho where the Republicans hold their victory party the day before the election, so it's not like I'm in a hotbed of liberalism here.
#15 Old 09-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've left an email too. I really hope she does get these messages and realizes just how wrong what she is doing is...doubtful. but there's hope. It sickens me that so many others think the same way she does about this.
#16 Old 09-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

The latest GB entry I see is 9/2.
#17 Old 09-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

I added an entry to her guest book, not that she will probably even read it. She probably has an assistant who screens them out. I did link the new PETA Chinchilla video for her viewing pleasure, since the coat she was wearing at the Emmys was made from the skins of these unfortunate little creatures.

Awesome!
#18 Old 09-22-2004, 02:29 PM

Not to dampen the party, but I hope that all the emails were well-thought out and not "you suck b/c you wear animals" sort of stuff. Even veg writer's comments are borderline, imo.
#19 Old 09-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Not to dampen the party, but I hope that all the emails were well-thought out and not "you suck b/c you wear animals" sort of stuff. Even veg writer's comments are borderline, imo.

I agree. My email was very polite. I started off by saying that she did a wonderful job hosting the emmys, her dress was beautiful, blah, blah, blah, but could she please think twice before wearing fur. I almost ended it with a 'God Bless', because I know she's into that, but I didn't want to go too far.
#20 Old 09-22-2004, 03:09 PM

Thanks for letting us know about this. I signed her guestbook and sent an email directly to the view, mentioning civil rights, the women's movement, and Alice Walker. I was polite in both letters.

My mother watches this show, I have thought it a terrible representation of the mediocrity of women. However, using the media is our most powerful tool. Keep those emails and letters coming. We'll know she is thinking twice about wearing her dead animal skins, even if she is acting brave on the outside.
#21 Old 09-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Not to dampen the party, but I hope that all the emails were well-thought out and not "you suck b/c you wear animals" sort of stuff.

I was, as always when I write as a representative of any AR cause, very polite. I can't remember the exact text of what I wrote off-hand (something along the lines of how I was hoping she would reconsider her stance in light of the suffering animals endure in the fur industry), but it definitely fell under the category of constructive criticism, and was a well-crafted, grammatically correct and spell checked note.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page