Please Help Save This Great Dog From Being Put Down! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Impeach the gangster

Dutch is a gentle service animal- a therapy dog- who bit a lady, only after she repeatedly beat him with a metal pole. A judge has ruled that Dutch be euthanased. I don't know what to say. Just read the article, learn about Dutch and his master Jeremy, a disabled vet, and decide for yourself. There's a petition you can sign, if you'ld like to help save Dutch's life.

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/2744-disabled-veteran-asks-for-public-support-service-dog-faces-euthanasia-for-biting-woman-who-beat-him-with-metal-pole

Thanks.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Ankle Biter

I signed. yes.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Impeach the gangster

Thanks Poppy!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 AM

What a horrible person! I love dogs, mine is sitting next to me as I type this.

I always get rescues and each time I go to the pound it kills me to see the way humans treat them :(

/signed

-Slave.

#5 Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I signed it: how on Earth is beating a dog going to help anyone, whether Dutch started the fight or not? It's going to cause only aggression either way!

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#6 Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Signed.

#7 Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Impeach the gangster

Thanks all.

#8 Old 02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Did the hitting with the pipe occur before or after the dog bit? Just something to think about, because bulldog breeds are well known for their ability to catch and hold. I wish we could see video footage of what actually happened before I make a decision.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Did the hitting with the pipe occur before or after the dog bit? Just something to think about, because bulldog breeds are well known for their ability to catch and hold. I wish we could see video footage of what actually happened before I make a decision.

The beating of Dutch took place before he bit. The judge ruled against him, because the lady took him indoors, after she beat him, and it was there that he bit her, so on a technicality- that he didn't bite while being beaten, but waited a few minutes- Dutch was adjudged to be a vicious animal.

The vet who examined Dutch's wounds made this note in the report:

"Note - dog was extremely well-mannered and sweet in exam room. He did not require restraint during his exam, even when his abdomen, testicles and swollen face were palpated."

From the DogHeirs article:

Quote:

In addition to the veterinarian who evaluated Dutch's wounds (see above), other animal experts have stepped forward to commend Dutch for his temperament.

Dutch with Jeremy and HeatherCarrie Williams is a highly recognized and experienced retired dog trainer and evaluator who has evaluated for organizations including Therapy Dogs International (TDI) and the American Kennel Club's (AKC) Canine Good Citizen Program (CGC).

"In my testing of dogs for TDI and the AKC and as a dog obedience instructor, I have dealt with a number of aggressive dogs. Dutch was not one of those dogs.", Carrie says "Dutch is a sweetheart. In 26 years of training dogs, he is one of the nicest dogs I've ever come across. That is why I'm volunteering my time to try and save his life." 

Carrie evaluated Dutch over a three day period and says, "I truly believe this dog would not bite anyone unless he was provoked and felt like he was defending his life. Dutch was a joy to work with and a wonderful service dog with a great temperament."

During her evaluation, Carrie recounts several of her evaluation techniques:

"On day one of my evaluation, I think I surprised even Jeremy when I met Dutch for the first time. Upon initial contact, I approached Dutch menacingly. I then stood over him, maintaining direct eye contact, in an effort to illicit an aggressive response. Normally, a dog with aggression issues may growl at the very least. Many will snarl and snap, then move to establish a dominate position. Dutch immediately averted his eyes and lowered his head in a submissive manner. When I continued my aggressive behavior towards him he began licking my face and wagging his tail. He continued this submissive behavior until I relaxed my dominant stance. He then continued wagging his tail and licking my hand in a friendly manner.

Next, I tested him further by feeding him treats and then taking the food right out of his mouth. Common sense dictates that putting your hand in a dog's mouth is a good way to get bit, especially when you're taking away treats from a strange dog, but as soon as Dutch felt my hand in his mouth he immediately released the treat and never attempted to snatch it from my hand or nip it away. This gentle, submissive behavior when interacting with a complete stranger is rare, even in common "family dog" breeds." Read Carrie's evaluation in full here.

Dutch gave his evaluator a kissCorroborating Carrie's evaluation of Dutch, AKC CGC evaluator Sandie Wyman, stated, "I am the CGC evaluator that tested this sweet dog. He did pass with flying colors and even gave me a kiss afterwards. This means that he will receive a real title from AKC stating he can now visit elderly people at nursing homes. I believe this dog is anything but aggressive. I am a certified dog trainer and have also done behavior objectives on animals. Dutch is anything but aggressive."

Dutch's death-sentence is on hold, while the judge's ruling is being appealed.

#10 Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

#11 Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw that on Facebook. I hope he's so far underground no one can find him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page