$4000 or death - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 02-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Banned

I need about $4000 soon, or I am going to die. Most of my teeth are worn down very close to the nerve, and I am in constant excrutiating pain. It will cost about $4,000 to build them up with resin, or gold inlays, or gold crowns, depending on the tooth. Medicaid won't pay for it. I went to a clinic at a dental school but they refused to continue treating me because i asked too many questions, I think it was, they said.

It seems to be a fact that excrutiating pain alone is enough to kill you after a few weeks or months. You don't have to have any other life-threatening disorder than pain itself.

I am in too much pain to do any work to earn money.

The amount of pain relievers I would need to mask the degree of pain I have, would be enough to make me unconscious. So these could not be of any help.

I am putting this message here because I am an animal that needs help, in order to avoid excrutiating pain and death, and the title of this forum is "Activism and Animal Alerts." If people help me, I will live, and probably become well enough to take care of myself; if people don't help me I will die. It is that simple. I am not now well enough to take care of myself, and won't ever be well enought to take care of myself, again, unless I get economic help, soon.

I know that some of you are unable to help me. I just thought that since I am going to die anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try and ask for help, from those of you that are able to help, on the slight chance that some of you might be willing to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I had the money to help you Soilman.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain, and that you're having difficulty getting help.

Maybe you could go back to the dental school and appeal for their assistance again.

They might also have ideas on other facilities that may be able to help you.
#3 Old 02-22-2004, 09:49 PM

I'm really sorry that I have no way of helping you either.

Maybe you could like set up a pay-pal account.. And hopefully people will donate money too you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't you have relatives to help you out?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 02-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Could you have the trouble teeth pulled out? It's a lot cheaper than gold caps. Perhaps this time go back to the dental clinic and don't ask questions. Good luck. And I am sorry you are in so much pain. Even with insurance my own dental work has been quite expensive so I can only imagine the costs had I no insurance to pay half.
#6 Old 02-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah.. why don't you have them pulled and get dentures?
#7 Old 02-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Banned

Marie writes "why don't you have them pulled and get dentures?"

Why don't you have your arm amputated and get a false arm?

It's cheaper than having the fracture set and the infection treated with antibiotics. You're a woman aren't you? What do you need your arm for?

That would obviosly be self-abusive behavior, in an time where having the teeth repaired would be the proper treatment. I'd rather die than go along with someone's plan to punish me for being poor and mentally disabled.

If you had a painful broken arm that had an infection that was spreading to the rest of your body, but could easily be saved and made useful again, with minor surgery that was routine surgery in this day and age, as opposed to being experimental surgery, but nevertheless, more expensive than having the arm amputated, and your insurance company would only pay for amputation -- would you have your arm amputated? If they are only amputating my arm because they think I don't deserve the standard of care that everyone else gets, because I have a mental disability -- I would rather die than let them amputate my arm. It is a matter of pride. For some things, you don't let people treat you like a second class citizen. It is better to die.

It isn't like resin bonding and gold inlays are exotic, experimental, or extremely expensive. They are just a little more expensive than extractions, and they are the standard of care that everyone else gets, unless you are considered a second-class citizen.
#8 Old 02-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It's self abusive to go through pain.

I'm sorry, but beggars can't be choosers.
#9 Old 02-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Banned

Kpickell writes

====================

Perhaps this time go back to the dental clinic and don't ask questions.

=======================

Perhaps you should sit in my chair and let me do whatever I feel like doing to you, without asking questions. Who are you to question me?
#10 Old 02-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

What about ceramic inlays?
#11 Old 02-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

Ceramic inlays are more expensive than gold inlays. And much, much more expensive than the bonded resins which will work for about 3/4 of the teeth that need treatment. Ceramic inlays cosmetically look more like real teeth than bonded resins, and much more like real teeth than gold inlays. But I'm not wishing for fancy, high-class treatment with ceramic inlays; I would find the cheaper gold inlays, and resin bonding for most teeth, quite satisfactory.. This is about relieving pain and being able to chew, not about looking like a movie star.
#12 Old 02-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not just the uninsured and mentally ill who have these types of problems.

I have periodontal disease (and have had it since I was a teen).

I've had to have a tooth pulled as a result.

I must go to the hygenist every three months (I have to pay $40 of the total), and still - it gets worse with every year. There is treatment that might help. They can do bone grafts (my insurance won't pay for this treatment.). I saved up enough for one treatment several years ago ($7.800 I paid), while it helped - I needed more treatments. Can't afford it. I've resigned myself to doing the best I can with what I have. When the time comes - I will ask them to pull my teeth, and I will get dentures.

(I have a full-time good paying job with insurance - and this is how it is with me)

I guess I'm saying this because I think you should consider alternates (dentures being one of them). Nobody wants dentures, but many people get them because they cannot afford a different solution.
#13 Old 02-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Banned

"I'm sorry, but beggars can't be choosers."

Yes we can. We can choose to die rather than be insulted by people in return for supposedly helping us.
#14 Old 02-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I am sorry, but...reading this thread makes me laugh. I think (and I hope I am not alone in this thought) that you just are doing this to get attention.

I will most certainly not give you any money and I most certainly hope that no one else does.

I have a lot of love for people/animals and anyone in need...but, there is something totally fishy going on here and I think that people are being nice by trying to answer to your thread...

You are rude to people..you don't have to come off with comments that are so in your face rude like "why don't you cut off your arm and get a prosthesis" (or whatever the heck you said)...

Find your money, get your teeth fixed...and leave us alone. You aren't going to die.
#15 Old 02-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Banned

I'm sorry dvmarie, but I think you deserve the standard of care that is available, and should not settle for dentures if your teeth can be saved with proper treatment. If bone grafts have a good chance of success, and are not an unproven experimental treatment, and are not "heroic" treatment that are unlikely to work, then if you settle for less, then you are abusing yourself.

Resin fillings only cost about 1.5 times the cost of silver-amalgam, which Medicaid is willing to pay for, and are well-established, well-proven treatment. Gold-inlays are also well-proven for my situation, and not all that difficult or time-consuming to do. Again, I am not asking for ceramic inlays, just cheap gold inlays.

You simply cannot eat as well or have a good a diet if you have dentures, as opposed to properly restored teeth. Dentures have been proven to shorten lives. People with caps and bridges eat better, and live longer. This is especially important for someone who tries to eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, and prefers a rugged life away from civilization, perhaps without electricity and electric blenders.
#16 Old 02-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned

"Find your money, get your teeth fixed...and leave us alone. You aren't going to die."

You want to bet? I would never kill myself, but I would allow myself to die before allowing myself to be abused by someone else.
#17 Old 02-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

SL1031, I think you just have to understand soilman. He's serious, and doubtful means to be offensive. Though I agree, always dramatic.

I remember when he was learning to perform his own hernia operation.

He's gone through a lot, with little support.
#18 Old 02-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Banned

SL1031 writes
Quote:
You are rude to people..you don't have to come off with comments that are so in your face rude like "why don't you cut off your arm and get a prosthesis" (or whatever the heck you said)

I supposed it is rude to say "why don't you cut off your arm and get a prosthesis" but not rude to say "why don't you have your teeth extracted and get dentures." Just what exactly is the difference? Huh?
#19 Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

*mod post*

Guys, this is a support forum. Let's keep it civil, thanks.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#20 Old 02-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Soilman,

I'm sorry you're having problems with your teeth and I wish I could help. I hope you're able to resolve this soon.

Take care.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#21 Old 02-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I'm sorry dvmarie, but I think you deserve the standard of care that is available, and should not settle for dentures if your teeth can be saved with proper treatment. If bone grafts have a good chance of success, and are not an unproven experimental treatment, and are not "heroic" treatment that are unlikely to work, then if you settle for less, then you are abusing yourself.

Resin fillings only cost about 1.5 times the cost of silver-amalgam, which Medicaid is willing to pay for, and are well-established, well-proven treatment. Gold-inlays are also well-proven for my situation, and not all that difficult or time-consuming to do. Again, I am not asking for ceramic inlays, just cheap gold inlays.

You simply cannot eat as well or have a good a diet if you have dentures, as opposed to properly restored teeth. Dentures have been proven to shorten lives. People with caps and bridges eat better, and live longer. This is especially important for someone who tries to eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, and prefers a rugged life away from civilization, perhaps without electricity and electric blenders.

Get what medicaid will pay for.

You say you'll die if you do nothing, but you don't want dentures because they'll shorten your life. That doesn't make sense.
#22 Old 02-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned

Marie writes "Get what medicaid will pay for."

At the current time, Medicaid will not pay for anything. They think my teeth are just fine the way they are. They will wait until the tooth gets worn down all the way to the pulp chamber (they are just a tiny bit away now) and then pay for extract the teeth. They won't pay for resin bonding to build them up, to protect them from wear. Even tho resin bonding is actually cheaper than an extraction. The difference is that bonding would have to be done now, and extraction will allow them to wait a few months before they have to cough up the money to pay for it.
#23 Old 02-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I know this is a support forum..and I know that the subject in question (soilman) is a person that I do not know...and most of you who have been around longer do know...so, I just hope all goes well with him. I think the problem is much bigger than just his teeth...seems like some other issues are going on there.

I just have to sit back and have a little chuckle about the drama that is insuing on this board. Why don't you stop griping about it and get something done?

You, soilman, are getting what you want...however...you are getting attention and I bet that is making you feel all nice and warm and fuzzy inside...so, I am happy for you.
#24 Old 02-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Banned

Also, there is no guarantee that extracting the tooth will end the pain. A poorly done extraction, by a "medicaid dentist" could end up doing permanent nerve damage, and excrutiating life-long pain, for which there is no treatment except pain-relievers.
#25 Old 02-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Banned

No SL1031, I'm not getting what I want. What I want is to be able to eat, and not have excrutiating pain all day and all night. I don't feel warm and fuzzy. I feel sick, and paralyzed by fear.
#26 Old 02-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Will they give you any numbing medication? Pain relievers don't cut it for tooth problems, you need something to numb your mouth. I used OraGel nearly 24/7 until I could get my teeth pulled. I'm sure there's more powerful stuff, but store brand generic oragel was all I could afford at the time. //
#27 Old 02-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Banned

SL1031, you sound like one of those people who, if you find an injured animal, instead of helping it, or putting it out of its miserise, you poke it and prod it and see how much more you can injure it.
#28 Old 02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1031 View Post

I know this is a support forum..and I know that the subject in question (soilman) is a person that I do not know...and most of you who have been around longer do know...so, I just hope all goes well with him. I think the problem is much bigger than just his teeth...seems like some other issues are going on there.

I just have to sit back and have a little chuckle about the drama that is insuing on this board. Why don't you stop griping about it and get something done?

You, soilman, are getting what you want...however...you are getting attention and I bet that is making you feel all nice and warm and fuzzy inside...so, I am happy for you.

What is the point of posting this SL1031??

Soilman may need some attention here, but it appears as if you need some too. Otherwise why would you bother posting what you just posted?

I find it annoying when people can't resist taking pot-shots in someone elses "SUPPORT" thread. Talk about creating "drama".
#29 Old 02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope you find someone who can help you, but I have to say that the way you go about asking and being obnoxious to anyone who replies really isn't going to make you stand out,there are a lot of people who need help. I believe you are equally deserving, but the way you act might send people in the direction of helping another who is a little more humble

sorry to hear you are feeling so crappy..im new to supporting myself so I really don't have anything to offer except to say good luck

#30 Old 02-23-2004, 12:34 AM
Banned

"Will they give you any numbing medication?" Yes, Medicaid will often pay for numbing medication to mask a problem, rather than pay for treatment to fix the problem, or prevent the problem. Taking drugs doesn't solve the problem, it just masks it. That is what they tell people. But hypocritically, that is how they deal with many problems. They will readily give you drugs in an abusive manner; whilst at the same time, they don't want you taking drugs yourself, in an abusive manner.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page