PeTA Billboard in Baltimore City - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,563
I just saw this. Its on E. Monument St.



I'll take pictures this week and post them up.



It http://www.peta.org/Automation/NewsItem.asp?id=3796
kerouac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
VeggieKitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 685
Interesting. But you know, I don't think the message bears any relevance to Palmeiros sexual life. How would PeTA know if the man is impotent or not, or how much meat he eats or not? Sure, there could be a connection to meat and impotence, but frequently there is a psychological cause as well. IMO, this campaign means nothing in the way they targeted Palmeiro just because he is a Viagra spokesman. PeTA has also not only assumed the man is impotent, but that meat is the cause. They could have executed this a little more tactfully and factually rather than looking for someone to target and humiliate. Why do they do things like this?!
VeggieKitten is offline  
#3 Old 02-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,563
I think most people assume that if you are a spokesman for Viagra, you are impotent. I don't know if thats true or not (not sure if you "have" to be impotent to be a spokesman for the medicine).



I saw a bit on the news last night on it. They interviewed men who were across the street at a butchers/meat market. They just blew it off saying that it makes veg*ns look like "fanatics".
kerouac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 02-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
VeggieKitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 685
Exactly. It makes us look desperate in our messaging. I do know that you don't have to be impotent to take Viagra. My fiance has several friends who take it when they really don't need it or have a prescription for it. They use it as "enhancement" so to speak. I'm sure you don't need to be clinically impotent to be the spokesman either.



If I were PeTA, I would have taken out a billboard next to a Viagra billboard that talked about meat causing impotence, and how to reduce your chances the natural way, or something to that effect.
VeggieKitten is offline  
#5 Old 02-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
epski is offline  
#6 Old 02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

Exactly. It makes us look desperate in our messaging. I do know that you don't have to be impotent to take Viagra. My fiance has several friends who take it when they really don't need it or have a prescription for it. They use it as "enhancement" so to speak. I'm sure you don't need to be clinically impotent to be the spokesman either.



If I were PeTA, I would have taken out a billboard next to a Viagra billboard that talked about meat causing impotence, and how to reduce your chances the natural way, or something to that effect.





You are right about men taking Viagra for "enhancement"...I once was sitting in a Uni class and a bunch of (adult, although that is disputable) men were sitting in the back of the classroom, taking Viagra. Why I have no idea, but they weren't too keen on leaving when class was over. I think its terribly stupid to take medicine for ED if you don't need it...or if you can't get an erection on the spot.



I was at the Dr's today and there was an advert for Viagra in the Newsweek and it got me thinking:



What I would like to see is a study done on men who have been on a vegetarian diet for more than 10 years and over 40, and see the percentage of those men who have ED...and see the differences between them and men of the same age group who have not eaten a vegetarian diet and their percentage of ED.



I would think (or, I am almost positive) that the men who have eaten a steady vegetarian diet will suffer less from ED and general blood-flow problems (Heart, genitals, hands, feet, extremities in general). Maybe even a study on vegan men and how many of them suffer from ED.
kerouac is offline  
#7 Old 02-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
mountainvegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
They interviewed men who were across the street at a butchers/meat market. They just blew it off saying that it makes veg*ns look like "fanatics".



I would think anyone in a butcher's market would blow off any ad about veg*ism as fanatical. Anytime you have a 4% minority trying to make a billboard statement, regardless of the content, it sounds radical and fanatical to the other 96%. What you hope is that about 2% of the 96% think about it a little and maybe cut back on meat intake a little.



About advertising in general, when was the last time anyone saw an "intelligent" billboard or TV ad? I don't think I've ever seen one for any product or idea. Cute, catchy, or humorous, maybe, but not intelligent. Ads are designed to plant a "thought seed" and that's it. Most people are going to think of AR veg*ns as wingnuts no matter what ads they see or how factual or nonfactual the ads are. Why? Because we're the 4% minority. We're the freaks just by numbers alone. No ad will make that better or worse, IMO. Major social change is slow, especially when you're in the < 10% minority.



So, once again, I'm defending PETA. Personally, I think the ad is stupid, but it plants a thought seed for some guys who are obsessed with their little man. Fine. To me it's the same as most stupid ads, so there's no difference here.
mountainvegan is offline  
#8 Old 02-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainvegan View Post

I would think anyone in a butcher's market would blow off any ad about veg*ism as fanatical. Anytime you have a 4% minority trying to make a billboard statement, regardless of the content, it sounds radical and fanatical to the other 96%. What you hope is that about 2% of the 96% think about it a little and maybe cut back on meat intake a little.



About advertising in general, when was the last time anyone saw an "intelligent" billboard or TV ad? I don't think I've ever seen one for any product or idea. Cute, catchy, or humorous, maybe, but not intelligent. Ads are designed to plant a "thought seed" and that's it. Most people are going to think of AR veg*ns as wingnuts no matter what ads they see or how factual or nonfactual the ads are. Why? Because we're the 4% minority. We're the freaks just by numbers alone. No ad will make that better or worse, IMO. Major social change is slow, especially when you're in the < 10% minority.



So, once again, I'm defending PETA. Personally, I think the ad is stupid, but it plants a thought seed for some guys who are obsessed with their little man. Fine. To me it's the same as most stupid ads, so there's no difference here.





Good point MV. Not exactly the place to be asking the opinon for that Billboard. I defend PeTA's move. I think its funny...and it will make people think twice before picking up their next steak.
kerouac is offline  
#9 Old 02-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,192
MoutainVegan... you make a good point in terms of advertising. Advertising in large part is for branding purposes. Familiarity is a key result to branding and it is this familiarization with a specific brand that results in many sales since branding familiarity lends itself to decision making. Hmmmm... should I buy this brand that i have never heard much about... or this big name one? Many times, the brand a person is familiar with is the one they will purchase.



Now, that said... this is also the reason, in my opinion, why veganism/vegetarianism is "blown off" by the majority. The majority sees PeTA (incorrectly I might add) as the big representative to veg*nism and they see PeTA as a bunch of nuts. The PeTA brand is equated to consisting of a bunch of fanatical wingnuts and thus, veg*ns themselves are largely seen as fanatical by this same majority.



That's the unfortunate downside, again in my opinion, of how PeTA's ads affect veg*ns individually. Like it or not, PeTA is seen by most as the head veg organization that speaks/acts on behalf of vegetarians/vegans.
Robert is offline  
#10 Old 02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

they see PeTA as a bunch of nuts. The PeTA brand is equated to consisting of a bunch of fanatical wingnuts and thus, veg*ns themselves are largely seen as fanatical by this same majority.



..which pretty much proves the point that it doesn't really matter what you say, because it will be seen as "wacko stuff" anyway - most of PETA's ads are seen as offensive not because they have something exceptionally "PETA-like" about them, but because the majority doesn't agree with the basic premise that non-humans are something other than beings whose only purpose is to be killed for trivial preferences of humans.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#11 Old 02-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

most of PETA's ads are seen as offensive not because they have something exceptionally "PETA-like" thing about them, but because the majority doesn't agree with the basic premise that non-humans are something other than beings to be killed for trivial preferences of humans.

I would disagree with this purely on the basis of some of their comparisons (holocaust on your plate for one example and the one they tried to run in Vancouver a year or so ago about the women who died at the hands of a lunatic).



I will agree that what most probably find offensive is a comparison of human suffering to animal suffering. This, I think, is because most folks almost certainly place human life above animal life.
Robert is offline  
#12 Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
mountainvegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,283
Robert - I agree that most people see PETA as fanatical. Why? Unfortunately, the media focuses on their more radical and controversial actions and campaigns and ignores most of the positive things they do. I know that is why I used to think of them as fanatical, even though I knew very little about them at that time.



As far as veg*nism goes, I don't think people turn down veg*nism because of PETA.



I think people aren't veg*n for the following reasons (just to name a few ):



1) I think many people are totally unaware exactly what goes on in factory farming - blissfully ignorant, and motivated to stay that way,



2) Even if they are made aware of the horrors of factory farming, many are ignorant of what they would eat as an alternative and figure it's just a necessary evil,



3) They are blitzed by ads from all directions of the M&D industry: McDs, Arby's, Olive Garden, on and on and on....and,



4) Everyone they know eats meat, so why should they change? To be an outcast?



The last thing they do is think "PETA is a bunch of starry-eyed radicals, so I'm not giving up meat."
mountainvegan is offline  
#13 Old 02-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Strix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainvegan View Post


The last thing they do is think "PETA is a bunch of starry-eyed radicals, so I'm not giving up meat."

= Robert in a nut(case) shell
Strix is offline  
#14 Old 02-06-2004, 01:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

= Robert in a nut(case) shell



Strix, this is inappropriate, and inaccurate to boot.
epski is offline  
#15 Old 02-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,872
Quote:
Robert - I agree that most people see PETA as fanatical. Why? Unfortunately, the media focuses on their more radical and controversial actions and campaigns and ignores most of the positive things they do. I know that is why I used to think of them as fanatical, even though I knew very little about them at that time.



The media focuses on? PETA has admitted that they are "media whores." That's why they keep coming out with these campaigns. The media is only giving PETA what they want.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Michael is offline  
#16 Old 02-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Oatmeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

It makes us look desperate in our messaging.



I'm curious who you mean with "us"? I know some people mistake PeTA for something that speaks for veg*ns in general, while they are not, and in fact never try to be. Or are you a member?



PeTA is purposefully called PeTA, and not PeTV (People for the Ethical Treatment of Veg*ns). Their goal, and only goal, is to raise the awareness about the way animals are treated, and to change the status quo. They do all they can to reach this goal, and use many different methods, as they see fit (which is their right).



One can disagree with their methods, but I also think it'd be hard to find a more successful AR organization (see the PeTA Victories page).
Oatmeal is offline  
#17 Old 02-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Corvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 236
Quote:
The last thing they do is think "PETA is a bunch of starry-eyed radicals, so I'm not giving up meat."



Agreed. And anyone who would think like that, is someone who you can't convince. If someone told you that they'd met a couple of black people whom they didn't like, therefore the had concluded that they didn't like all black people, you'd think they were racist. You wouldn't try and change your method to suit them. Same thing here. If someone is going to tar all veg*ns with the same brush because of something as trivial as an advert they didn't like, then there's not much you can do about them.



The people we want to reach are the small percentage who are open enough to the message that the little seed planted by the ad may have an effect on them. I think the billboard is, as MV says, pretty standard stuff. It's faintly humorous and makes a little point which may cause people to think.



I think PeTA's most useful work is through its website which has loads of good info which isn't scary AR stuff - it's quite positive and non-threatening imho. And if their ads lead people to look at their site and get the full story there, then that's a good thing.
Corvine is offline  
#18 Old 02-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
VeggieKitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

I'm curious who you mean with "us"? I know some people mistake PeTA for something that speaks for veg*ns in general, while they are not, and in fact never try to be.



Hmmm, I understand what you mean. I wasn't meaning to speak for all veg*ns, rather, agreeing with the below subsequent comment. While I realize PeTA is not PeTV, people do generalize and assume they do repesent those who are veg*ns and therefore creating a negative stereotype for us as veg*ns. I suppose my comment didn't come out quite right in my hasty response. Sorry!



Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac View Post

They just blew it off saying that it makes veg*ns look like "fanatics".

VeggieKitten is offline  
#19 Old 02-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

While I realize PeTA is not PeTV, people do generalize and assume they do repesent those who are veg*ns and therefore creating a negative stereotype for us as veg*ns.

This was exactly the point I was trying to make. That although we all know PeTA does not speak on behalf of all veg*... PeTA has indeed become that voice in the eyes of the majority. Since their sensationalist advertising techniques get so much exposure, and it is rarely positive coverage, it ultimately helps perpetuate an incorrect stereotype about veg*ns.
Robert is offline  
#20 Old 02-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
mountainvegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,283
Well, the bottom line is that, regardless of how many people think PETA is radical, they convert / recruit / introduce many people to veg*nism and AR (they introduced me) and turn very few away from it, despite the hate-mongering toward them by certain groups. From an animal's perspective, I would preserve PETA over ANY other AR or AW group, if I could only have one.
mountainvegan is offline  
#21 Old 02-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Strix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Strix, this is inappropriate, and inaccurate to boot.



LOL! Wow...
Strix is offline  
#22 Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular
 
VeggieKitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainvegan View Post

Well, the bottom line is that, regardless of how many people think PETA is radical, they convert / recruit / introduce many people to veg*nism and AR (they introduced me) and turn very few away from it, despite the hate-mongering toward them by certain groups. From an animal's perspective, I would preserve PETA over ANY other AR or AW group, if I could only have one.



I'm not a PeTA hater personally. I just don't agree with some of their "campaigning". They do in fact, introduce many people to veg*sm. I, too, made the decision final to go veg after visiting their website and seeing some video long ago. I would definitely rather there be a PeTA than not. The long and short of it is that animals need voices.
VeggieKitten is offline  
#23 Old 02-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Oatmeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,778
VeggieKitten:
Oatmeal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off