Cutting out soy- need help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

For the past couple years I've had bouts of no sex drive, especially the past 8 months. I mean like, not being attracted sexually to anyone and having no desire at all. Then the other day I read an article stating that soy products can take away sex drive...nothing official, but a theory at least. I know it's dumb to just go on some random article I read, but if this could be true, then I'd like to see what happens if I stop eating soy. I'd say I rely pretty heavily on soy, it makes up the bulk of the protein in my diet. I think I'm going to try for a couple weeks and see.

The only problem is that I can't eat beans. So my sources of protein will be limited...can anyone who is allergic to soy/doesn't consume it help me out?? The only beans I can eat are lima beans, green beans, some lentils and some hummus(like only a couple tablespoons a day). Pretty much most of my protein will have to come from nuts. But I dont' normally eat nuts, so what are some things I can do with them? Peanut butter is an easy choice, I can eat that everyday. And I think adding nuts to stirfries will be good. But what else besides that? Are there any burger patty recipes that you can make from nuts or rice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

http://home.pacbell.net/epski/vegan/...nForVegans.doc
#3 Old 12-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, no soy? Hm...well, from what I know, I'm as horny a teenager as the next one, I don't want to imagine how bad I'd be if soy really does inhibite sex drive and I stopped eating it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Banned

where did you find this info??

if this were true, thank goodness for soy, or else i'd be a menace to society.
#5 Old 12-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat too much soy (supposedly), and my sex drive is too healthy (supposedly).
#6 Old 12-04-2003, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I have no idea if this claim is true or not, but I figure what does it hurt to cut out soy for a few weeks you know? I used to have a healthy sex drive, but now it's totally wiped out
#7 Old 12-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

you may need to do it for more than a couple weeks for true results
#8 Old 12-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

Yeah I have no idea if this claim is true or not, but I figure what does it hurt to cut out soy for a few weeks you know? I used to have a healthy sex drive, but now it's totally wiped out

You could subsitute seitan or wheat gluten for tofu in many recipes. Let me ask you this...

Are you on some type of medication? Birth control, antidepressants and some antibiotics are known to affect drive. Have you changed medication recently? Are you depressed, anxious, major life change or getting enough sleep? How often do you get regular excersise? Inactivity or overactivity can zap the horny monster too.

I suggest examining your lifestyle make adjustments there and if that doesn't work then try getting rid of soy.
#9 Old 12-04-2003, 09:28 AM

Wow, more BS about Soy. If your sex drive is low, try some Carrot Juice or Ginseng Teas.
#10 Old 12-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Could it be stress related, as opposed to food related?
#11 Old 12-04-2003, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Wow, more BS about Soy. If your sex drive is low, try some Carrot Juice or Ginseng Teas.

People *can* have allergies to soy, as anything else.

If you want to see if you have an allergy to a food, you need to cut it out for 2 full weeks from your diet. That allows your body to flush all of it from you system. Then, you can try introducing it again. You'll be able to tell pretty fast if you are indeed affected by it.

Also, if the soy doesn't work, try cutting out the wheat.

And yes, people can develop allergies to food at any stage in their lives and not realize it. Once you take it away, though, your body reacts more strongly when you try to give it back.
#12 Old 12-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope it's not from medications, stress, depression, etc. I do know that my hormones are messed up, my gyno says I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and I know soy can do something with estrogen levels....I'm assuming that if soy is affecting me, it's due to the fact that my hormones are already messed up. It's hard to know though, cause I ate soy before I became vegetarian, so I can't really pinpoint a time when it started. I don't see how carrot juice would up my sex drive though.
#13 Old 12-04-2003, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I don't see how carrot juice would up my sex drive though.

If you drink enough, your skin will have an attractive orange hue to it. In all seriousness, ginseng and carrot juice will do nothing for you if it is an allergy or a reaction to a disease.

Try ridding the soy from your diet for two weeks. If you feel a little better, try it for another week. Then, have a soy-based meal for a few days. If you notice you're feeling icky again, it's the soy.

Let us know.
#14 Old 12-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:

and I know soy can do something with estrogen levels....

Are you sure about this? I thought I read that the estrogen in soy was extremely weak and not strong enough to change the estrogen levels in humans significantly. I could have misunderstood though.
#15 Old 12-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantith View Post

Are you sure about this? I thought I read that the estrogen in soy was extremely weak and not strong enough to change the estrogen levels in humans significantly. I could have misunderstood though.

I have no idea, I've read that as well. Guess I'll just try it and see!
#16 Old 12-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Beginner

There is so much conflicting info out on the internet. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell what to trust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page