Specific Phobias - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Lately, I have been wondering if I have arachnophobia. I have always been scared of spiders, but the fear is worsening. While they used to just surprise me and creep me out, now I can't even see a picture of a spider without having a physical response. My heart rate goes up, I feel sick to my stomach, and I start to hyperventilate. To make matters worse, I live in an old apartment and for the last few weeks, I have been finding big, hairy spiders (well, big for Chapel Hill, NC) in here. I tried to do some internet research to figure out whether the spider I had just killed was a brown recluse, but the google search turned up images and I screamed and slammed my computer shut. Shakily, I had to figure out some way to close the Firefox window without looking at the spider pictures anymore.

Does anyone else have a phobia like this? Heights, snakes, closed spaces, big words, whatever? Has anyone been through desensitization therapy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I have blenophobia. Ugh.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 04-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Beginner

I've had a horrible phobia of splinters since childhood. There's no scientific name for it, but I definatly have all the characteristics of a phobia here. I haven't tried any treatment, I just try to avoid situations where it's likely I'll come in contact with my fear, so I guess I can't really help too much. But I can sympathize. =[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know, is there a phobia for constantly being watched?

Or is that just some strange paranoia?
#5 Old 04-12-2009, 04:49 PM

I too think that I may have arachnophobia. Everytime that I even think about a spider I get chills up my spine. It even becomes a sort of paranoia where it will feel like one is crawling on me, but it turns out to be a piece of cloth, a hair, etc.
#6 Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't stand spiders. I remember at night when I'd scream, my dad would come in and ask "Where is it?", because he knew it had to be a spider. I start freaking out and crying when there's a spider around.

I have a huge fear of slipping and falling. I avoid icy ground and slippery surfaces as much as I can and if I have to walk on something slick I cling onto who ever is with me.

I avoid driving in the snow as much as possible because I just freak out and get panic attacks.

Needles freak me out.

I hate insecure heights, like cliffs, or just anything w/out railings and stuff. I always get like dizzy and think I'm going to fall off.

I can't stand climbing up ladders.

That's just some of the things that for me are more than just oh that's scary.
#7 Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamerx3 View Post

I too think that I may have arachnophobia. Everytime that I even think about a spider I get chills up my spine. It even becomes a sort of paranoia where it will feel like one is crawling on me, but it turns out to be a piece of cloth, a hair, etc.

Yeah, after I have a spider encounter in my apartment, I sense spiders crawling all over. I have long unruly hair too, so I think they're on my neck. Ack!
#8 Old 04-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Yeah, after I have a spider encounter in my apartment, I sense spiders crawling all over. I have long unruly hair too, so I think they're on my neck. Ack!

One time when I was little, I got a little toy dinosaur stuck in my hair, and I FLIPPED out!!! I thought it was a tarantula, lol. I basically tried to get away from my hair.
#9 Old 04-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

this one is a little out there considering my location(pa)

i have a fear of tornadoes and tunnels...weird combination, I know

everytime there is a thunderstorm, hail, heavy rain or wind I start to freak out. I have to sleep in a basement or I can't sleep.

i have a panic disorder that is triggered by tunnels also. the first time i went through a tunnel my chest tightened up, i started hypervenilating, etc. it's just like an overwhelming sense of doom for no reason at all...that's why i take bridges, even if it takes me a little longer to reach my destination
#10 Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishuponastar View Post

this one is a little out there considering my location(pa)

i have a fear of tornadoes and tunnels...weird combination, I know

everytime there is a thunderstorm, hail, heavy rain or wind I start to freak out. I have to sleep in a basement or I can't sleep.

I had the same fear of tornados/thunderstorms when I was a kid. The school counselor at my elementary school helped me get over it (because I was disrupting classess freaking out everytime it rained. XD) She taught me all the science behind the storms, it pretty great detail. That seemed to do the trick for me, if you think that could help. (I could see it making it worse, too. So thats your call!)
#11 Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombina View Post

I had the same fear of tornados/thunderstorms when I was a kid. The school counselor at my elementary school helped me get over it (because I was disrupting classess freaking out everytime it rained. XD) She taught me all the science behind the storms, it pretty great detail. That seemed to do the trick for me, if you think that could help. (I could see it making it worse, too. So thats your call!)

i tried something similar and it did make it worse. haha thank you for the advice though!!
#12 Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Obviously spiders don't freak me out but SHARKS is another story. I cannot even look a picture without feeling like I'm gonna puke and my heart races and I feel all clammy. I am a teacher and I have to take out groups of students to work in a reading area and they know to hide all shark books before I come in.

Also weirdly enough, the music from PETER AND THE WOLF scares the bejesus out of me. I had this album as a child and the cover featured a wolf with an elongated jaw and red gums and sharp teeth and drool (or was it blood?) dripping from it's jaws. i had nightmare about that for years. I was once listening to public radio whilst painting my MIL's kitchen and it came on--the dreaded opening notes and I started to shake so much and kept screaming "turn it off! turn it off!" that I knocked the paint off the ladder. She was *not* happy.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#13 Old 04-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Bees. Definetly bees of all types. My family once moved into an older house in the middle of winter and we had no clue the house was infested with wasps. Once the weather got warmer my bedroom would be swarming with them. At night I would hear them buzzing around me while I tried to sleep. I literally get paralyzed with fear when I see/hear them. I can't move and can't scream. Its like a nightmare. All I want to do is turn and run but my legs won't work and I'll try to scream but can't get any sound out.
#14 Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

phobias are not fun!

i am afraid of spiders, but not as much as elevators! those are horrible, not just b/c of the closed in space but the movement and jerking send me into cold sweats and big time fear.

im also very afraid of germs in certain ways, it has gotten much better, however i still have times when my hands turn raw from overwashing.
#15 Old 04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Obviously spiders don't freak me out but SHARKS is another story. I cannot even look a picture without feeling like I'm gonna puke and my heart races and I feel all clammy. I am a teacher and I have to take out groups of students to work in a reading area and they know to hide all shark books before I come in.

Also weirdly enough, the music from PETER AND THE WOLF scares the bejesus out of me. I had this album as a child and the cover featured a wolf with an elongated jaw and red gums and sharp teeth and drool (or was it blood?) dripping from it's jaws. i had nightmare about that for years. I was once listening to public radio whilst painting my MIL's kitchen and it came on--the dreaded opening notes and I started to shake so much and kept screaming "turn it off! turn it off!" that I knocked the paint off the ladder. She was *not* happy.

WHY WHY WHY WHY would you post in my arachnophobia thread with that avatar?!? I'm sweating now and I think my heart might pop out of my chest. Thanks a lot for your, erm, support.
#16 Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I am desperately afraid of elevators. I often have dreams of being in an elevator that is falling down a shaft. I wake up and my heart is racing and I am sweating. It is terrifying. And being in elevators is awful. I can just imagine it falling and it makes me sick. I always take stairs if I can.
#17 Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:

WHY WHY WHY WHY would you post in my arachnophobia thread with that avatar?!? I'm sweating now and I think my heart might pop out of my chest. Thanks a lot for your, erm, support.

#18 Old 04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

OMG sharks! The movie Open Water-holy crap, that freaked me out. I can't stand being in dark water or water w/fish and stuff in it.
#19 Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, Spidergrrl, sorry for the freak out. I added you to my ignore list, not because I don't want to read what you write, but so that damn tarantula doesn't make my heart skip a few beats every time I stumble across one of your posts. This way, I can prepare myself and hold something opaque over the left side of the screen before hitting "View Post."

I'm sorry you're afraid of sharks. It sounds like we have the exact same reaction, just to different animals.
#20 Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimsweetie401 View Post

I am desperately afraid of elevators. I often have dreams of being in an elevator that is falling down a shaft. I wake up and my heart is racing and I am sweating. It is terrifying. And being in elevators is awful. I can just imagine it falling and it makes me sick. I always take stairs if I can.

I used to have this I hated Elevators and when I got in one I would go to the back and close my eyes till it was over...but I worked my way through it a couple of years ago when my mom was in the hospital for like three weeks and I didnt wanna always count on my family to go with me everywhere so I stared going by myself at first it was horrible...but about a week later I was okay and it hasnt bothered me since.

I am sooo afraid of Snakes...but working through that too...I have friends who have them and I am getting a bit more comfy around them and even had one around my neck a few weeks ago.
#21 Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I freak out in crowds of people in a total panic. I feel like I can't breath and I run away if I can.

Phobias suck as I deal with panic disorder. I once had it really bad....but I had to face my fears and I did, or otherwise I would feel myself having more fears and 'forced' to stay inside. Standing in the checkout in the grocery store can freak me out, but I force myself too. It has really helped me.

I noticed it's just things in life if I feel I 'can't control' even stuck in rush hour and also I have phobias of being in another car wreck since I have been in ten. I drive all the time but I freak out when I feel my husband is speeding or getting to close to someone on the highway. He doesn't even break the speed limit and I am the one working myself up about it. I really hate it though. It's okay if I drive crazy though because I have that 'control feeling.'
#22 Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Beginner

Cars/driving (don't drive, super panic disorder, can't even stand being a passenger), but for some reason can fly. Go figure.

Bees (but getting better).

Heights.

Anything that involves heights and/or balance; can't climb ladders, couldn't use crutches after I had 3 surgeries for being run over.

f
#23 Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hey, Spidergrrl, sorry for the freak out. I added you to my ignore list, not because I don't want to read what you write, but so that damn tarantula doesn't make my heart skip a few beats every time I stumble across one of your posts. This way, I can prepare myself and hold something opaque over the left side of the screen before hitting "View Post."

I'm sorry you're afraid of sharks. It sounds like we have the exact same reaction, just to different animals.

I am soooo sorry honey! That is a picture of my Lily Rose and I forgot it was my avatar because I am so used to seeing her all the time. Sorry sorry sorry.

Yeah, i can't even look at shark photos without having what feels like my chest is being squeezed. Whay are there always books about sharks in every classroom I work in????

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#24 Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

It's all right. This strategy seems to work pretty well.
#25 Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm developing a slight phobia of flying, it's not the height or the possibility of crashing, it's the whole artificially created oxygen supply thing, if something goes wrong with that it would be awful I think I just have to learn to think about it less because recently I have been close to freaking out on a few flights.

Please don't kill spiders Dormouse! It's bad luck & they are sweet little things really! Just get someone to put them on a piece of card & pop a glass over them, then take them outside.
#26 Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm extremely afraid of:

a) Global warming (it freaks me the eff out);

b) Natural disasters (again, they freak me the eff out.)

c) The end of the world (a non-religious-like-apocolypse; more like global warming wipes out the human race with natural disasters)

As far as I know, none of these fears have "official" names. I've looked and found nothing.
#27 Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

c) The end of the world (a non-religious-like-apocolypse; more like global warming wipes out the human race with natural disasters)

Would the end of the human species be such a bad thing? I mean, the universe would go about its daily work quite happily without it. In fact, the planet earth would probably be a lot more healthier and happier without humans on it.
#28 Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Would the end of the human species be such a bad thing? I mean, the universe would go about its daily work quite happily without it. In fact, the planet earth would probably be a lot more healthier and happier without humans on it.

Yeah, I know. I guess it's mostly that if the human race is wiped out, I'm dead. So it's probably just a fear of dying in such a grandiose way.
#29 Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Yeah, I know. I guess it's mostly that if the human race is wiped out, I'm dead. So it's probably just a fear of dying in such a grandiose way.

Yep. That's probably it.

But never forget. Dying is easy. It's living that is hard.

Some people say that people who are afraid of death, are actually afraid of life.

Maybe they're right. It's something to ponder on.
#30 Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Vegan Police Officer

As to the OPs phobia of spiders. Here is a very beautiful picture, which I promise has NO spiders on it. But it is the most beautiful photo of a spider web I have ever seen. With dewdrops on it. Perhaps if you see a spider, you can try and immediately recall this photo in your mind which will remind you that a spider, too, is a creature who can create a thing of beauty: http://www.michaelturco.com/images/S...ning%20dew.JPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page