carb questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to know exactly how in the heck a person figures out how many carbs they should have? Most of the nutritional labels that I read tend to say 250-300 depending on your size ....but then there are the Atkins types and I've seen them actually mention 10 carbs a day..I realize that most on this board do not think this is healthy....but what IS healthy for reduced carbs? Why do the Atkins crew cut it down so low instead of maybe cutting to 100 or 150 carbs a day when the starting point seems to be 250-300 (which seems to be the recommended, please correct this if im wrong)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I think as long as you eat the right types of carbs and balance it out with fruits and veggies, you can't go wrong. The right types of carbs are whole grain- whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole-wheat pastas, etc. They're a thousand times better for you, they actually retain some of the nutrients of the original product, like fiber (important for satiety- if you're worried about weight control, eating whole-wheat bread does a whole lot more for your hunger than a peice of wonderbread, lol. It's also important for a healthy digestive system, so don't under-estimate the importance of fiber!). Just make sure you get in some veg*n sources of protein and you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it- I don't and I'm not fat!
#3 Old 12-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Banned

it should be 35-40% of your calorie intake from carbs, depending on the source. i wouldn't start counting it in grams.. it gets complicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

How, as a veg*n, do you manage to keep carb intake that low? I've been keeping track of where my calories come from for a while and even on my good days, I can only get carbs down to around 75%, and the highest protein I've ever had was 25%. I just can't eat that many beans, you know?

~Mollie~
#5 Old 12-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post

I would like to know exactly how in the heck a person figures out how many carbs they should have?

Here's how I do it: eat when hungry, don't eat too much, don't eat too little. Eat a good variety of healthy foods (whole grains, veggies, fruit and legumes). Keep fat low.

Use the rest of your time for other, more enjoyable things.

What can I say... it works for me
#6 Old 12-03-2003, 03:30 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

My flatmate is still on the atkins- he is trying to keep it below 20. he is trying to loose weight quickly before he goes to america- to see his fiance. He has bad breath and a weird pain in his throat. I keep telling him to come of it- but he wont until he goes over there (friday) the orginal 2 weeks has now come over 3. He has lost weight- but his health is worse. He is also keeping his calories down very low- too low for a man. I hope he stops soon

K
#7 Old 12-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Banned

mollie - i eat a lot of tofu and veggie meat, and soymilk etc. (and my diet is about 30% calories from fat ). besides, people count grains as only carbs, but grains have protein too! just not as much as legumes.
#8 Old 12-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read 130 grams carbs minimum before somewhere... but yeah go for the variety/listening to your body plan. It's good.
#9 Old 12-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually I believe 55% should be carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. Some people lower their fat intake and add on more protein, but I'd say that's a standard healthy amount.
#10 Old 12-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

bluegrrrl79 is correct. At least 55% of the calories should be from carbs. That is what nutritionists recommend.

You can convert this to grams as follows:

Suppose you consume 2000 Kcals/day.

55% of 2000 is 1100 Kcals

Kcals = grams*4 so

grams = Kcals/4 = 1100 Kcals/4 = 275 g

So a person that consumes 2000 Kcals should consume at least 275 g of carbohydrates

Quote:
Why do the Atkins crew cut it down so low instead of maybe cutting to 100 or 150 carbs a day when the starting point seems to be 250-300

Instead of going to Atkins web sites/books I suggest you get your information from reputable sources like the ADA or the nutritional science departments of universities. The Atkins crowd have it wrong. To loose weight you don't have to restrict carbs to a very low level you just need to consume fewer calories than your body uses. Loosing weight the Atkins way is unhealthy and nutritionists discourage people from following the Atkins diet. The Atkins diet is considered a fad diet, one of the worst ones.
#11 Old 12-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

first of all, dont worry im not using atkins literature..

secondly...the thing is that ive noticed clearly for me that carbs are what add the fat to my body....when i up my carb intake by even 10% the fat comes right back..but when i cut it out i have a much leaner look to me and I like it..i seem to do well with 150 carbs a day and based on what you guys have said I guess i will just stick to that..

I was just trying to find out from a non-atkins perspective what a safe level for carbs is..If i eat 200 i feel sick and start to get sluggish but if i eat 150 then i feel way better a majority of the time..I guess some peoples bodies metabolize better than others but if i was eating 275 i think that id be blimping out completely..
#12 Old 12-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Banned

my bad.. i confused the vaule w/ proteins. heh
#13 Old 12-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

schu;

Well, I wonder if you tried cutting back on calories in other ways like reducing the fat/protein content of your diet. 150 g/day of carbohydrates is mighty low.

And I agree with Oatmeal that persons shouldn't have to watch the carbohydrates in their diet very closely. It's good enough just to roughly follow a food groups plan and stop eating when they are full. And, if you want to lose weight eat a little less than you might otherwise eat.

One time my weight went up higher than I wanted (almost 200 lbs and I like it around 180); that tends to happen when you get older. I cut back on my eating a little bit and eventually lost the weight. Now I'm eating as much as I want but am walking every day and that's working well for me.

I wonder if you know that the lower your carbohydrate consumption is the higher your protein/fat consumption needs to be. So, the low carbers need to consume more protein/fat to bring the calories up high enough. Instead of changing the relative carb/protein/fat composition of their diets all they really have to do is eat less to lose weight.
#14 Old 12-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post

first of all, dont worry im not using atkins literature..

secondly...the thing is that ive noticed clearly for me that carbs are what add the fat to my body....when i up my carb intake by even 10% the fat comes right back..but when i cut it out i have a much leaner look to me and I like it..i seem to do well with 150 carbs a day and based on what you guys have said I guess i will just stick to that..

I was just trying to find out from a non-atkins perspective what a safe level for carbs is..If i eat 200 i feel sick and start to get sluggish but if i eat 150 then i feel way better a majority of the time..I guess some peoples bodies metabolize better than others but if i was eating 275 i think that id be blimping out completely..

So if you added more fruit to your diet you'd feel more sluggish? That doesn't sound right. Are you sure that when you're adding more carbs, you're reducing in other areas? Cause if you're just adding more calories, that's what's going to make you gain weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page