Percocet and nausea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm on percocet for a really awful virus, to control pain and coughing. It's causing me some wicked bad nausea. Anyone have ideas to deal with it? Anyone have experience with percocet they could share - stuff I should know? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

No experience with Percocet, but a spoonful of ginger juice stops the urge to vomit almost at the last possible moment when you think it is too late. *hates vomiting* Its also good for milder nausea. I think some people take it for motion sickness too. Peppermint also helps the tummy, but not as good as ginger, in my experience.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 02-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

have you asked a pharmacist for advice? they're really helpful! maybe an anti nausea medication would be helpful- something for motion sickness?

if you don't want to use pills- i had some pretty bad nausea from antibiotics a while ago, and get travel sick a fair bit, and travel sickness bands (accupressure based) really take the edge off it for me. you could try putting pressure on those pressure points? there is a demo of where to press here, but basically if you bend your wrist, measure 3 finger widths down your arm with the other hand, then press right in the middle there. : http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Nausea-With-Acupressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't taken percocet but I've taken other pain meds and I can't take them on an empty stomach or else I get sick. Have you tried eating something before you take them?
#5 Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, I thought of that, because I haven't been eating well - no appetite whatever and everything tastes like dust. But I ate some cheerios once, and a banana another time, and that helped I think. I mean, the percocet helps SO much, but it keeps me flat on my back a lot and this nausea blows. Is it true the nausea dissipates after you've been on it a while? I just started taking it today.

Yeah, the anti-nausea drugs cause drowsiness, and the percocet is keeping me asleep 95% of the time anyway! I'm very drug-sensitive. But i just tried that accupressure and it works! Sweet! Now if I could figure out a way to keep the pressure on there for an extended amount of time...

Thanks guys.
#6 Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Opiates can be like that. Definitely avoid alcohol and try not to eat when you feel sick to your stomach.
#7 Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post

yeah, I thought of that, because I haven't been eating well - no appetite whatever and everything tastes like dust. But I ate some cheerios once, and a banana another time, and that helped I think. I mean, the percocet helps SO much, but it keeps me flat on my back a lot and this nausea blows. Is it true the nausea dissipates after you've been on it a while? I just started taking it today.

Yeah, the anti-nausea drugs cause drowsiness, and the percocet is keeping me asleep 95% of the time anyway! I'm very drug-sensitive. But i just tried that accupressure and it works! Sweet! Now if I could figure out a way to keep the pressure on there for an extended amount of time...

Thanks guys.

get awake enough (with the help of some chocolate or iceream maybe?) to attach some buttons to some elastic hairbands or something like that?

then tomorrow you could try and send someone to the chemists to buy you a pair of motionsickness wristbands. they're like this: http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod2662944
#8 Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooo - and this works on the accupressure principal? Right on. First thing in the am I'll be obtaining one of those. Thanks!
#9 Old 02-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

Ooo - and this works on the accupressure principal? Right on. First thing in the am I'll be obtaining one of those. Thanks!

yep yep. they're like a pair of little wrist-sweat-bands with big plastic nobbles on them- one nobble on each, one band for each arm. mine are purple. you just put 'em on, and the nobbles press on the pressure points. super groovy stuff!
#10 Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I recommend Bonamine. It's an anti-histamine drug but also has anti-nausea properties. It's stronger than other travel sickness tablets like Dramamine and works really well. Take the Bonamine about an hour before you take the Percs for best effects. Beware that Bonamine also increases the effects of the Percs so don't try driving UTI or anything like that.

m8itcanw8.com
#11 Old 02-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, there has been no driving for me! I seem to be really sensitive to the percocet - 5 mgs was the lowest therapeutic dosage and that was knocking me out! Thankfully I can be off of the stuff now and ibuprofen is doing the trick. That was when I found out that it wasn't just the percocet causing the nausea. Evidently I had the legitimate Influenza with the capital "I", which actually does include nausea. I was feeling a little cheated because I thought the agreement was that you get URI symptoms OR you get GI symptoms but NOT BOTH. Stupid viruses, not playing by the rules. }

Anyway, I'm doing much better today and no more fever. The accupressure got me through.
#12 Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm on percocet for a really awful virus, to control pain and coughing. It's causing me some wicked bad nausea. Anyone have ideas to deal with it? Anyone have experience with percocet they could share - stuff I should know? Thanks.

I used to be addicted to Percocet, because I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and have had two hip surgeries.

Usually nausea happens with high doses, and if you are not used to Percocet yet. If you are on it long-term it will go away. If you are on it for a short while (which I guess is preferable for many reasons), try mint or baking soda and water.
#13 Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh, there has been no driving for me! I seem to be really sensitive to the percocet - 5 mgs was the lowest therapeutic dosage and that was knocking me out!

Wow you are really sensitive! Glad you're off them now, hope you're feeling better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page