how to build up immunity against colds - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a college student and since I've come back to school over the holiday break I have caught 3 colds. That's 3 colds in less than 2 months. I like taking homeopathic remedies, I avoid regular medicine at all costs. The last time I took Tylenol I had 105 degree fever (almost 2 yrs ago) so it was quite necessary, but for colds I don't see the need. It will eventually go away. Anyway, I've never had a problem like this before in fact I normally get colds once or twice a year. So any ideas on what I can put into my diet or do to build up my immune system. I can't handle another cold. I kind of loose my mind when I have a cold anyway, like today I left my sigg bottle in 2 of my classes and then at the dining hall. So any help is much appreciated!

Also any ideas on how to relieve cold symptoms is extra helpful! I have just started using nasal rinse and I use herbal cough drops and drink green tea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Its always so hard to tell, when you don't get sick, whether the things you do deliberately prevent colds, or its just a coincidence. I only catch one or two colds a year, but this year everyone I knew got whatever was going around, and I really didn't want to catch it too, so I took some elderberry extract and some zinc lozenges for about two weeks, and I haven't caught anything this season.

*knocks on wood*

When i do catch a cold I really like hot miso broth with a very large quantity of Thai red curry paste, as it makes my face sweat and my nose run. But don't try this is you can't stand really hot stuff. The capsaicin in the paste also reduces the pain of a sore throat, though its hard to understand why, since for many people the peppers themselves cause a great deal of pain. That and lots of vitamin C.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Wash your hands a lot. And what SE said...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Get a vaporizer and use it, particularly at night when you are sleeping. A cool-mist one works just fine and is easier to care for.

Get some echanacia angustifolia (sp?) and take this while you are sick.

Try to keep the dust down. Change the air filter in your heating system, if you have access to it.

These are on top of the other good suggestions already posted in the thread.
#5 Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

when winter time comes, i medicate a lot to prevent colds.

I stack up on:

vitamin C

Garlic tablets

Lozenges

multivitamin

ZMA

otherwise, i'm very prone to getting sick while training etc.
#6 Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

What is ZMA?
#7 Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the help! I'm heading for whole foods in just a minute and I'm going to look for all of your suggestions
#8 Old 02-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Residence halls are breeding grounds for germs, especially when people first arrive from their respective homes and bring all sorts of nasty germs from all over that your body isn't used to fighting. Best way to prevent them is to wash your hands often and clean off shared surfaces with disinfectant wipes -- things like shared phones, computers, remote controls, doorknobs, toilets, faucets, handles. Cold germs get in through mucous membranes in your eyes and nose so NO TOUCHING YOUR FACE!! unless you've just washed your hands. Don't share food or drinks with people either. Open the windows whenever weather permits it. Germs love stagnant hot air.

If I feel a cold coming on, I start using Zicam intranasal gel religiously. I fought off two colds around Christmas time with that goo. Has to be the nose goo though, not the lozenges or oral stuff.

I spent a year interning in an elementary school and I was sick CONSTANTLY. Sometimes I'd only get a week off between colds. Since then I've rarely caught them. Exposure to germs helps to build your immune system too, so hopefully once you get through this you'll come out with a stronger immune system.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i also echo keepinh your hands away from your face and wash your hands
#10 Old 02-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Another thing you might try. Kleenex sells Anti-viral tissues that are treated with citric acid and other ingredients that supposedly kill 99.9 percent of cold and flu viruses.

(No, I have no idea whether all the ingredients are vegan or not.)
#11 Old 02-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

What is ZMA?

ZMA is more considered a bodybuilding supplement but it's basically:

Zinc - 30mg

Magnesium - 450mg (in Aspartate form for high bio-availability)

B6 - 15mg

it's hyped by the Athlete community because there have been tests where it increased testosterone in males, but i use it because it significantly improves my sleep (despite the very realistic dreams).
#12 Old 02-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Very realistic dreams can be a good thing, eh?
#13 Old 02-14-2009, 10:05 PM

If I start sneezing a lot and think a cold is on its way. I drink fresh lemon juice with honey and hot water, adding a small bit of ginger
#14 Old 02-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Vitamin C Vitamin C Vitamin C!!!

and feel better soon!
#15 Old 02-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

also make sure you get a decent nights sleep
#16 Old 02-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Echinacea tea

Lozeneges containing Zinc and Echinacea

Eat lots of greens!

If money isn't an issue, consider taking spirulina

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Vitamin C Vitamin C Vitamin C!!!

and feel better soon!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6901405.stm

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#17 Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

That article says they took 200 milligrams. That isn't enough to do anything. I take a gram an hour when I have a cold, and it reduces its length and severity. I know this works because when I don't have any vitamin C my colds always last a week longer.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#18 Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

That article says they took 200 milligrams. That isn't enough to do anything. I take a gram an hour when I have a cold, and it reduces its length and severity. I know this works because when I don't have any vitamin C my colds always last a week longer.

You are right I looked it up again and found many things that say it's good for colds. Sorry for that

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#19 Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

You are right I looked it up again and found many things that say it's good for colds. Sorry for that

It's okay!
#20 Old 02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Get a vaporizer and use it, particularly at night when you are sleeping. A cool-mist one works just fine and is easier to care for.

Get some echanacia angustifolia (sp?) and take this while you are sick.

Try to keep the dust down. Change the air filter in your heating system, if you have access to it.

These are on top of the other good suggestions already posted in the thread.

Echinacea is the AWSOME!
#21 Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I have used most of the tips listed here. Thing is, my ears are all clogged up now. Anyone have any tips on how to naturally solve this?
#22 Old 02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

When I lived on a college campus I became more sick than I had ever been in my life, so I feel your pain. When I feel a cold coming on I make this ginger-cayenne tea which is listed in the recipe-beverages section on veggieboards. However I'm not sure if you have access to a kitchen, sooo what everyone else said is good. Make sure you get your vitamin C, and Zinc is supposed to be good for your immune system, and make sure you get fresh air and PLENTY OF SLEEP, I think lack of sleep is what fried my immune system as a college student. And of course as mentioned wash your hands often and try not to touch your face.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#23 Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

+1

As a college resident I was sick all the time.... Not fun!
#24 Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM

make sure you wash your hands frequently since your a college student and germs pass around. Also just eat alot of fruits and get enough sleep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page