Bone Density - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Newbie
 
daydreamerx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 43
I have fractured my foot twice in the same spot in the past 4 months. Although I know it is a common place to fracture my foot, and all the medical pages I have read do not point to my vegetarianism as the culprit. Does anybody know if being a vegetarian for a little under a year can decrease your bone density ? And if so, are there ways I can help that ? I already take a daily vitamin and a calciam pill every morning and get lots of protein everyday.
daydreamerx3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
clarita osita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,862
For one, high levels of protein actually can increase calcium loss, just so you know. As for fracturing the same spot, that makes perfect sense to me. You've weakened that bone, and it's probably going to be weaker than other bones for a long time, if not indefinitely. I'm not aware of anyone here having their bone density decrease from a vegetarian diet, especially if they're eating properly (lots of fruits, veggies, grains, beans, legumes, etc., eating a lot of different colors of foods).
clarita osita is offline  
#3 Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

For one, high levels of protein actually can increase calcium loss, just so you know. As for fracturing the same spot, that makes perfect sense to me. You've weakened that bone, and it's probably going to be weaker than other bones for a long time, if not indefinitely. I'm not aware of anyone here having their bone density decrease from a vegetarian diet, especially if they're eating properly (lots of fruits, veggies, grains, beans, legumes, etc., eating a lot of different colors of foods).

Yeah with the protein thing as well as high amounts of dairy or any other acidic food.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
paprika27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 259
As far as I'm informed, meat contains sulfurous amino acids (or something like that) which liberate calcium from the bones. It seems logical to me that vegetarians have less of this and therefore stronger bones (but I'm neither a biologist, nor am I a medic).



maybe the protein you take adds up with the dairy protein and somehow does something similar.



why do you take protein at all? are you really that much interested in getting muscles to grow?



the plant-proteins (no pills or powders. just what's in the food already) work just fine for me... and I'm (hobby) martial artist for about 10 years now.
paprika27 is offline  
#5 Old 02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
The only drawback with vegetarianism in relation to bone health is that you don't have any good "natural" sources of vitamin D in your diet. I believe cow's milk is fortified with vitamin D in some countries though. (E.g. the US.) The same is true for some brands of soya milk.



Personally, I take a vitamin D supplement every day. I don't know where you live, but unless you live somewhere nice and sunny all year round, then a vitamin D supplement might be a good idea.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#6 Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
daydreamerx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika27 View Post




why do you take protein at all? are you really that much interested in getting muscles to grow?



I play varsity soccer for my high school team on a competetive level. A lot of the girls are much bigger than I, and I need to grow a little to keep up with with them. This is not a necessity, but it helps especially during the season to prevent pulled muscles as well.
daydreamerx3 is offline  
#7 Old 02-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AussieShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 464
the others summed it up.



Excess levels of protein can cause bone degeneration.

But that happens over 20 odd years or so.
AussieShane is offline  
#8 Old 02-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Abbey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,684
I read a study once that concluded that vegans have less dense bones than their omnivore counterparts, but that their bones were just as strong. I'll try to dig it up to post here.



I would just recommend that you avoid eating too many dairy products (I don't know if you're vegan or lacto-veg...), and do weight bearing exercises often. I also wouldn't be too concerned about the second fracture; as rockindancer86 said, it is likely due to your previous fracture weakening the bone.



Also, I don't know how effective the calcium pill is. I heard a story once (I can't remember where!) about a woman whose friend was a nurse, and the nurse was looking at a patient's X-ray. The woman saw a solid white lump in the patient's gut and asked the nurse what it was. The nurse said it was a calcium pill, and they often pass right through the system without being absorbed at all, or barely absorbed. But maybe it's an urban legend. I'll try to look it up for some more solid evidence!
Abbey is offline  
#9 Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
AussieShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

I read a study once that concluded that vegans have less dense bones than their omnivore counterparts, but that their bones were just as strong. I'll try to dig it up to post here.



I would just recommend that you avoid eating too many dairy products (I don't know if you're vegan or lacto-veg...), and do weight bearing exercises often. I also wouldn't be too concerned about the second fracture; as rockindancer86 said, it is likely due to your previous fracture weakening the bone.



Also, I don't know how effective the calcium pill is. I heard a story once (I can't remember where!) about a woman whose friend was a nurse, and the nurse was looking at a patient's X-ray. The woman saw a solid white lump in the patient's gut and asked the nurse what it was. The nurse said it was a calcium pill, and they often pass right through the system without being absorbed at all, or barely absorbed. But maybe it's an urban legend. I'll try to look it up for some more solid evidence!



i'm not sure about that story but a lot of calcium supplements do have a very low bioavailability of calcium so you got to be sure on what you buy. it's best to consult a good doctor or pharmacist
AussieShane is offline  
#10 Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
paprika27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 259
bananas are great to prevent pulled muscles.

especially if you eat one daily for awhile.



don't remember what's in them to cause this...
paprika27 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off