Vegan Glucosamine - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been having some pain in my knees for the past 6 months or so. I have a history of knee problems in my family (father has had two knee surgeries and at age 70 has no cartilage in one knee), and I'm afraid that this is the beginning of some cartilage loss in my knees. Although I haven't had an MRI, my doctor thinks this is probably what's going on as well. A couple of people have mentioned glucosamine to me as a supplement that might help. I looked it up online and found that, although it usually is derived from shellfish, there is a vegan version derived from corn: http://www.devanutrition.com/glucosamine.html

My question is, do any of you know anything about vegan glucosamine or have experience with it? I don't take supplements lightly, so I'm trying to find out if it's safe, natural, etc., and of course, whether it works or not.

I'd appreciate any info, experiences, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 AM

I've been taken glucosamine for awhile (vegan variety). If Lothar comes 'round, I think he'll have some bits to add, but from what I read as a layperson...

It seems that most of the studies on effectiveness have been done with patients using glucosamine and chondroitin together. Some (but not all) have shown that this pairing reduces deterioration in cartilage. That is, it won't "cure" you, but it seems to help slow things down. It's also supposed to help reduce associated pain. Unfortunately, there's no vegan chondrotin available. The results on glucosamine supplementation alone are pretty mixed. There's a blurb about it on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucosamine

I haven't had an x-ray/MRI in ages, so I'm not sure how the deterioration is progression (osteoarthritis in the knee), but the pain does seem to occur far less frequently.

If this is the first you've had this pain though, I would think some sort of scan might be in order, both to rule out any injury/disease, and to establish a baseline of what your cartilage looks like.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM

thanx for the info...I didnt know they made this...My Guy used the other one after a work injury after suggested by his doc and it worked....I have awful knees so I am gonna ask my doc about it...info much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I've been taken glucosamine for awhile (vegan variety). If Lothar comes 'round, I think he'll have some bits to add, but from what I read as a layperson...

It seems that most of the studies on effectiveness have been done with patients using glucosamine and chondroitin together. Some (but not all) have shown that this pairing reduces deterioration in cartilage. That is, it won't "cure" you, but it seems to help slow things down. It's also supposed to help reduce associated pain. Unfortunately, there's no vegan chondrotin available. The results on glucosamine supplementation alone are pretty mixed. There's a blurb about it on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucosamine

I haven't had an x-ray/MRI in ages, so I'm not sure how the deterioration is progression (osteoarthritis in the knee), but the pain does seem to occur far less frequently.

If this is the first you've had this pain though, I would think some sort of scan might be in order, both to rule out any injury/disease, and to establish a baseline of what your cartilage looks like.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking into it...
#5 Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Beginner

More recent studies have cast doubts on the efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin, taken either together or alone. UC Berkeley's Wellness Letter reported in the December 08 issue that
Quote:
Overall, neither glucosamine hydrochloride nor chondroitin sulfate, alone or together, reduced pain and other symptoms significantly better than a placebo. But what about the main claim made for these supplementsthat they slow or prevent the deterioration of joint-cushioning cartilage that is the hallmark of arthritis? A much-awaited second part of the study looked at this question, and the resultsagain disappointingwere published in September.

Here's the link to the abstract; you have to pay to read the whole article. Anyway, that stuff is expensive, and it's like swallowing horse tranquilizers--definitely read up on it some more before you subject yourself to it for no reason.
#6 Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Glucosamine is a compound found naturally in the body, made from glucose and the amino acid glutamine. Glucosamine is needed to produce glycosaminoglycan, a molecule used in the formation and repair of cartilage and other body tissues. Production of glucosamine slows with age.

zoom whitening brisbane
#7 Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moophius View Post

Anyway, that stuff is expensive, and it's like swallowing horse tranquilizers--definitely read up on it some more before you subject yourself to it for no reason.

I will. Thanks.
#8 Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned

I think that glucosamine is n=very beneficial for healthy joints which is made by natural remedies.i have found these natural products at rainbow wellbeing [www.rainbowwellbeing.com]

regards

www.rainbowwellbeing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page