I'm Anemic because of Ulcers! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-25-2003, 10:45 PM

For the past few months, I've been feeling very tired and sluggish. I finally went to the doctor a month ago, and my blood count was so low, they put me in the hospital and gave me 4 units of blood. The cause was blood loss due to severe gastritus. I think that's another word for bleeding ulcers. I have no pain at all, but I am anemic as a result. Today I had an iron infusion, and I will have to continue having them every week until it gets better. My doctor hasn't criticized my being a vegetarian, although my parents have. I gave in and tried some meat, but after not eating meat for more than a year, it was just so yucky!

My problems don't seem to come from any particular food. It seems to happen randomly. I try to eat plenty of iron-rich foods, along with vitamin C but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone have any tips on avoiding gastritus and boosting iron?

Thanks in advance, I know there are smart people in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2003, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tltalty View Post

For the past few months, I've been feeling very tired and sluggish. I finally went to the doctor a month ago, and my blood count was so low, they put me in the hospital and gave me 4 units of blood. The cause was blood loss due to severe gastritus. I think that's another word for bleeding ulcers. I have no pain at all, but I am anemic as a result. Today I had an iron infusion, and I will have to continue having them every week until it gets better. My doctor hasn't criticized my being a vegetarian, although my parents have. I gave in and tried some meat, but after not eating meat for more than a year, it was just so yucky!

My problems don't seem to come from any particular food. It seems to happen randomly. I try to eat plenty of iron-rich foods, along with vitamin C but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone have any tips on avoiding gastritus and boosting iron?

Thanks in advance, I know there are smart people in here.

AuroraLily has some nice tips on "My iron is up!" in the Healthy Living.

4 units of blood also mean lots of iron. I cannot say for sure, but I never used infusions of iron, because it´s dangerous. First get your ulcers treated, which should only take a couple of days with protone pump inhibitors. Then use iron capsules which dissolve in the small intestine and not in the stomach. You don´t have to eat meat. There are enough other options.

BTW gastritis mean inflammation of the stomach, it´s a less dangerous than ulcers.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#3 Old 11-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Banned

Dr. K, do you have any opinion on the relative merits of different acid-reductions drugs (proton pump inhibitors?) on the market?

I had stomach ulcers, and if I recall correctly also duodenal, diagnosed by esophagogastroduodenoscopy (I can't believe anyone actually uses that word) a few months ago. Doctor said there was a 95% chance they would be cleared up in a few weeks, with Nexium. I got exacerbation of my neuropathic facial pain from the first few doses. Nevertheless I took Nexium 40mg daily for several months. The ulcer symptoms (vomiting every meal and eventually being unable to eat anything for 2.5 weeks and losing 25 pounds as a result and being unable to stand up without passing out) cleared up in a few days, but I needed to continue taking Nexium 40mg for months before I could finally get along with Nexium 20 mg once a day to once every 1.5 days.

Wow that stuff is expensive. Good thing, unlike dental care, which I have to pay cash for, medicaid pays for Nexium. However medicaid won't pay for non-prescription drugs unless they are prescribed and, catch-22, doctors here tend to be unwilling to prescribe drugs if you don't need a prescription.

I haven't been back for more esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Been too busy having excrutiating dental pain for the last few weeks now, and not eating because of that.

The physcian's info on many of these drugs mentions possible changes in the stomach lining caused by them, kinds of lesions that could possibly be pre-cancerous.

My doctor wants me to take another blood tast for gastrin, but I have been unable to find time get to the lab due to the still-painful tooth problem keeping me too week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

..., but I needed to continue taking Nexium 40mg for months before I could finally get along with Nexium 20 mg once a day to once every 1.5 days.

Wow that stuff is expensive. Good thing, unlike dental care, which I have to pay cash for, medicaid pays for Nexium. However medicaid won't pay for non-prescription drugs unless they are prescribed and, catch-22, doctors here tend to be unwilling to prescribe drugs if you don't need a prescription.

The physcian's info on many of these drugs mentions possible changes in the stomach lining caused by them, kinds of lesions that could possibly be pre-cancerous.

My doctor wants me to take another blood tast for gastrin, but I have been unable to find time get to the lab due to the still-painful tooth problem keeping me too week.

Nexium is the ppi I prescribe most often, due to a change in our drug-supply I´ll have to change to Pantozol next month, which is equally good (some say it´s better, but there are no studies one against the other). All in all it doesn´t matter which one out of the group you pick.

As for cancer the question is unresolved. The risk to get cancer via a barrett esophagus as a consequence of acidic reflux into the esophagus seems greater. Studies have not shown an increased risk, but nobody knows how much knowledge of such facts are´n´t public.

With ulcers that lead to bleeding or considerate weight-loss, drugs as nexium or other ppi are higly recommended.

Hope that this will help and you both get better, Lothar

#5 Old 11-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

i tried nexium for GERD and hiatal hernia but found that it was very irritating....i switched to protonix and got better results with less complications....protonix is also a ppi so......
#6 Old 11-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiemac View Post

i tried nexium for GERD and hiatal hernia but found that it was very irritating....i switched to protonix and got better results with less complications....protonix is also a ppi so......

Sandie, I didn´t know what protonix is made of, I checked it and it´s pantozole, which is marketed in Germany as Pantozol. The two marketing arguments: the tablet is much smaller and you have less interactions with other drugs.

#7 Old 11-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Banned

Thanks LMK.

You write:

=========================

the two marketing arguments: the tablet is much smaller and you have less interactions with other drugs.

=============

That is relevant if you wish to avoid even teensy tiny amounts of gelatin or other animal products: Nexium comes in a gelatin capsule (close to 100 percent animal in origin); a tablet may or may not have stearic acid in it, which is likely to be about 50/50 animal/veg in origin, but if the tablet is smaller, in all likelyhood the amount of stearic acid it contains, is smaller. I know some veg'ns get very detailed w re to avoiding even the teensiest amounts of gelatin or stearic acid. So this info may be useful to them.
#8 Old 11-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Banned

By the way, my esophagogastroduodenoscopy (I still can't believe anyone actually uses that word) showed no evidence of GERD -- just a large number of ulcers. I was wide awake for the esophagogastroduodenoscopy (I still can't believe anyone actually uses that word) so I heard the doctor ticking off a list, to his assistant taking notes, of each thing he observed, every time he moved the esophagogastroduodenoscope (I can't believe anyone actually uses that word either) down a bit further, or up, I forget which.

But the Nexium really did have an amazing effect on my ability to hold down food. I was able to hold down just about nothing before then. Not even soy milk. Only small amounts of canteloupe.

I'm a bit puzzled why my major sympton was nausea and vomiting (about 3 to 8 hours after every meal) rather than pain. There was only pain if I tried to ignore the nausea, and not vomit. I had no pain immediately after meals. Only hours later. I was able to use Tobasco sauce liberally on my food, without pain. But I got nauseaus from even the simplest cooked carbohydrates, and especially nauseous from salad greens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page