Vegan Painkillers? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-24-2003, 10:34 PM

My friends and I managed too get in a major car wreck. Now, everybody's *****ing at me to take some pain killers, among other things. I refuse to use medication because it is tested on animals and typically contains animal ingredients. Anyone know of any strict-vegan pain relief? I do aromatherapy and meditation, especially with my baths. I can handle pain, everybody else just can't handle my wincing and grunting when I do stupid **** that I know I shouldn't be doing when I'm hurt.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, I knew what half of you were going to say, but I'm laying off the weed and (especially) the alcohol for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Alcohol and weed don't work.

I think you are doing the best you can do.

What kind of injuries do you have ?
#3 Old 11-25-2003, 05:58 PM

cant talk for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2003, 04:06 AM
Banned

There is no pain-reliever for waking use that stops the kind of pain you describe with the following remark: "I can handle pain, everybody else just can't handle my wincing and grunting when I do stupid **** that I know I shouldn't be doing when I'm hurt."

What I mean is that pain that occurs suddenly when you do something, can't be stopped with a pain reliever, unless you knock yourself out and make yourself incapable of doing anything. Althouth pain like this caused, for example, by osteo-arthritis, can be alleviated by the anti-inflammatory effect of some drugs (NSAIDS). But you are describing pain from injuries, not from oa.

If you have nagging non-stop pain that can't be alleviated by changing your body position -- this type of pain, if it is mild to moderate, can sometimes be relieved by the pain-relieving effect of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs; if it is moderate to severe, it can usually be relieved by opioids, or by taking some of each. Plus there are a number of drugs that act synergistically with opioids -- if you don't mind being made drowsy. After the first dose or 2, opioids alone won't make you extremely drowsy, unless you take more than you need to relieve your pain (or if you don't have any pain).

Both phyto-anti-inflammatories and opioids can be produced in your own garden or orchard. I don't know what the legalities are of growing opium-poppies, but non-opium-poppies are not particularly difficult to grow.

However growing enough opium poppies for poppy straw or opium for pain-relieving use requires a lot of labor-hours per dose, if you aren't using highly mechanized production. There seems to be very few opium poppies grown in the US -- probably because the profit margin, even tho the sale prices in the illegal market are exaggerated, is limited by how labor-intensive growing opium poppies is. Even with the exaggerated prices, probably only large scale, mechanized growers could make a profit. I'd like to think I am wrong, because if I was wrong, I could grow opium poppies and make money doing it, if I didn't mind doing it illegally on hidden-away half-acres here and there.

You also don't see people maintaining willow-tree-orchards to produce phyto-NSAIDs, not even large-scale mechanized willow orchards, probably because coal-tar NSAIDs are much cheaper to produce.

But again, the kind of pain you describe won't be helped much by opioids, or anything else that leaves you awake and able to do the things you describe that cause the pain.

Cannibus has some anti-inflammatory properties but not as good for pain as opioids are, nor is it as low in toxicity as opioids. Opioids have been proven safe by thousands of years of use as a pain reliever. The problem of opioid "abuse" is one of those who take increasingly large doses in order to get a "rush." When opioids are used as pain-relievers, tolerance to them seems to develop slowly, if at all.

But again, I don't think opioids, or anything, can be helpful for the type of pain you have described. You just have to not do the things that hurt, and not do them again until you can do them again without pain. This is probably a good thing, that no pain relievers help, in this case, as doing things that hurt probably prolongs healing time, prolongs how long you have to wait until you can do them again.

Yes, doctors often tend to have things backwards. They prescribe opioids for temporary pain, that occurs only when you move -- where it is counterproductive for them to do so -- as it seems you intuitively realize -- and they neglect to prescribe them for people with nagging, chronic pain that can't be stopped by any other method, where opioids would be just the thing to help with such pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page