Sugar Allergy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2003, 11:01 PM

I know that there are related threads but I'd like to start up something new.

I'm thinking of calling it quits with sugar...I know my body doesn't like too much of it because my skin breaks out from too much sugar/starch. I love sweets too! I probably eat sugary snacks waaay more than my body can handle, although it fluctuates from one day to the next. I can always tell when my body's unhappy with me by looking in the mirror when I wake up

Any advice? I'm thinking of going cold turkey and sticking to naturally occuring sugars only.

I think that I'd get a lot of added benefits such as weight loss and less fatigue.

Any good sites with sugar-free recipes? Any good recipes that anyone knows of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Beginner

I have just started a sugar-free diet myself. I have had candida-like symptoms for about eight months, but they disappear once I reduce the sugar in my diet and my binging problem has stopped. Even fruits set me off so I avoid them too. I am not a candy person, but I avoid anything that has added sugar (e.g. ketchap) and limit certain starchy veggies. I cannot give you much advice since I am still learning, but I like the idea of having a sugar-free thread.
#3 Old 11-21-2003, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I should definetly start up with the sugar-free ways again. I went a week without eating any large amount of sugar (I still ate ketchup, though) and felt a lot better and by the end of the week my cravings had gotten better and my binging had nearly gone. Then I cracked and made vegan cookies and I haven't looked back since- that was about a month ago? I'm trying to keep my sweets consumption minimal (I opted for doritos instead of an icecream cone when I had to try to find food at school, for example- though I ended up eating icecream later on...D'oh!), only once every few days or something. Not completely sugar-free, but I do acknowledge that sugar is bad for me (just like all white or overly processed/refined foods! Except, maybe, potatoes, which supposedly have more potassium than a banana) and would like to keep it scaled back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaphant View Post

I know my body doesn't like too much of it because my skin breaks out from too much sugar/starch.

What's the timescale for the skin breaking out? I ask, because it's extremely unlikely that it's an allergy to sucrose. From your description, you might have one of the rare cases of a yeast infection in the intestines. Which is heavily over diagnosed, but might be the case here.

The good news on that one is that it's curable. A short course of a systemic anti-fungal will shift it rapidly. The way to approach this is to talk to your GP about the symptoms.

Also worth noting is that it's not an allergy if it only applies to "too much" of something - an allergic reaction occur to any part of it. There are some situations where it can appear to be operating like that, but that's rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaphant View Post

Any advice? I'm thinking of going cold turkey and sticking to naturally occuring sugars only.

Worth pointing out that table sugar (sucrose) is a natural sugar (sugar cane and sugar beet are the sources). Additionally, if sucrose causes problems, most other sugars will too. It's probably best then to think about avoided refined sugars (most of which is sucrose, but not all).

If you suddenly cut sugar from your diet, you are going to feel tired for a few days, as the body gets used to the new nutritional balance. A more gradual change will avoid that. Also, sugar is a rapid energy boost, so you may find it takes you longer to 'get going' in the mornings without sugar. Although swap refined sugars for a breakfast of 4 or 5 pieces of fruit, and it'll have a dramatic energy release.

On the whole, there is not any problem with removing sugars from the diet, other than the morning start problem mentioned above.

Stuey!
#5 Old 11-21-2003, 03:42 PM

thanks for the advice guys!

Syntax, I'll rephrase myself and let ya know that slight amounts of sugar can cause smaller breakouts.

I can breakout within a matter of a day or two...and clear up just as quickly - not fully, but majority.
#6 Old 11-22-2003, 01:41 PM

I'm looking into some diabetic stores and i was wondering as to whether arrowroot crackers have a lot of sugar in them?

What should I do with bread? I do'nt eat much of it but I know breads and bagels have some sugar and would like to find alternatives.
#7 Old 11-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaphant View Post

I'm looking into some diabetic stores and i was wondering as to whether arrowroot crackers have a lot of sugar in them?

What should I do with bread? I do'nt eat much of it but I know breads and bagels have some sugar and would like to find alternatives.

Do breads and bagels have an effect on your complexion? If not, I'd try to eat whole-grains and just eat them in moderation. So far as I know, whole-grain carbohydrates are a thousand times healthier than their white companions and there's nothing wrong with them (unless, of course, you have a wheat allergy).
#8 Old 11-23-2003, 12:08 PM

shethatisnau,

yea, a lot of breads/bagels taht type of thing will make me break out..but this is more than a couple of slices a day that I'm talking about.
#9 Old 11-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat refined sugar or refined flour and feel that I'm much healthier (and lighter!) now. I cook using fruit juice a lot. For instance, I cook my oatmeal in half juice/half water so I don't have to add refined sweetener. I make delicious vegan muffins using fruit juice concentrate in place of sugar, egg and oil. I put all-fruit jam on my vegan pancakes and sometimes use apricot jam in my stirfry sauce for some sweetness. I also make all-fruit smoothies when I'm craving sweetness (banana, other fruit of choice, some frozen fruit, and fruit juice). As for bread, it is hard to find bread made without sugar or white flour, even in health food stores, but they do exist. I have some pumpernickle at the moment from Wild Oats that's pretty good. In the past I've baked my own bread, but haven't in a while. That's the best solution though. Occasionally I know I eat some refined sugar in a sauce when I eat out in an Asian restaurant, but I don't freak out about it. If you cook a lot for yourself it's not too hard to avoid. I used to be a sugar addict, I'm talking candy every day, and it's remarkable to me how I don't want it anymore after not having it for over a year.

I could tell you all about how I avoid white flour too if you want me to...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page