Alcohol - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

What is typically a safe amount to drink without it adversely affecting your heath? I typically only drink once a week and when I do it's usually 1-3 beers. I know not drinking at all would be healthier, but a few drinks once in a while wouldn't hurt. I also never eat when I drink.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I've heard all over lately that one drink a day, especially if it's red wine actually has health benefits.

I don't feel like finding any citations right now, but one to three drinks a week seems very reasonable.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#3 Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Agree with Synergy. Sometimes stress can kill you faster than anything. I just try to be moderate in things and not worry much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I personally don't drink alcoholic beverages. I drink purple grape juice which can give many of the benefits as red wine.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...ine.heart.wmd/
#5 Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink cause I'm edge but it's 1-2 glasses of red wine a day for men and 1 a day for woman. That's for wine so I dunno about other drinks. Red wine is the healthiest though.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#6 Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Firstly, I recommend eating before drinking to help prevent dehydration and hangovers. NB. I stress "before drinking", eating afterward or during is too late, the damage has already been done.

The benefits of drinking red wine are a myth. Let me explain how this myth started. Surveys indicted that red wine drinkers were healthier than people that didn't drink red wine.

Guess what? People that drink red wine are healthier not because of the red wine, but because of their overall healthier lifestyle and greater income - they eat better, they exercise more, etc but their health was in spite of drinking red wine, not because of it.
#7 Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Regardless of whether red wine can be good for you, I don't know of any healthy benefits of beer, which was what the OP mentioned. Of course, I don't know of any bad things about it either, in moderation of course.

1-3 beers once a week is fine I would think, but eating before helps keep you from getting as drunk (though for most people 1-3 beers won't really get you drunk). Also, make sure to have water because alcohol promotes dehydration.

Anyway, point is I don't really see a problem with it. But if you're watching your weight at all, remember that beer has a lot of empty calories Just throwing that out there since some people don't realize it.
#8 Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

There are big campaigns in the UK now because it's Christmas and we drink too much so there is a government website about how much is too much and what the effects are: Drinkaware It has a unit calculator which might be useful. The maximum safe amount for a woman is 14 units a week and 3 units a day; drinking more than 6 units counts as binge drinking. For men, it's 21 units a week and 4 units a day. You can find out how many units are in what you a drinking here: http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/

I find that the safe level is much less than you'd think - depending on the volume and strength of your beer, 3 beers could easily be a binge. (Three bottles of Grolsch is 6.6 units.)

You should have at least two alcohol-free days a week, and eating before drinking slows down alcohol absorption.
#9 Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

There are big campaigns in the UK now because it's Christmas and we drink too much so there is a government website about how much is too much and what the effects are: Drinkaware It has a unit calculator which might be useful. The maximum safe amount for a woman is 14 units a week and 3 units a day; drinking more than 6 units counts as binge drinking. For men, it's 21 units a week and 4 units a day. You can find out how many units are in what you a drinking here: http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/

I find that the safe level is much less than you'd think - depending on the volume and strength of your beer, 3 beers could easily be a binge. (Three bottles of Grolsch is 6.6 units.)

You should have at least two alcohol-free days a week, and eating before drinking slows down alcohol absorption.
#10 Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Moderate drinkers outlive teetotalers and heavy drinkers.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol/SC00024

Quote:
Moderate drinking is defined as two drinks a day if you're a male 65 and younger, or one drink a day if you're a female or a male 66 and older. A drink is defined as 12 ounces (355 milliliters) of beer, 5 ounces (148 milliliters) of wine or 1.5 ounces (44 milliliters) of 80-proof distilled spirits.

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits. It may:

Reduce your risk of developing heart disease, peripheral vascular disease and intermittent claudication

Reduce your risk of dying of a heart attack

Possibly reduce your risk of strokes, particularly ischemic strokes

Lower your risk of gallstones

Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/alcoholandhealth.html

Quote:
Moderate drinkers tend to have better health and live longer than those who are either abstainers or heavy drinkers. In addition to having fewer heart attacks and strokes, moderate consumers of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine or distilled spirits or liquor) are generally less likely to suffer hypertension or high blood pressure, peripheral artery disease, Alzheimer's disease and the common cold. Sensible drinking also appears to be beneficial in reducing or preventing diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, bone fractures and osteoporosis, kidney stones, digestive ailments, stress and depression, poor cognition and memory, Parkinson's disease, hepatitis A, pancreatic cancer, macular degeneration (a major cause of blindness), angina pectoris, duodenal ulcer, erectile dysfunction, hearing loss, gallstones, liver disease and poor physical condition in elderly.

*Looking forward to drinking a Ketel One soda w/ lime this evening*
#11 Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

The stats from the second link are pretty startling. The benefit of moderate drinking seems to be quite substantial.

Quote:
A Harvard study found the risk of death from all causes to be 21% to 28% lower among men who drank alcohol moderately, compared to abstainers. 10

A large-scale study in China found that middle-aged men who drank moderately had a nearly 20% lower overall mortality compared to abstainers. 11

#12 Old 12-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I think just judge on how you personally feel. If a few drinks a week seems OK to you then that is fine.

Personally, I do drink sometimes still. But I used to drink a LOT every day, and it had very bad health consequences (I was hallucinating!!!)

So, be careful with it... but it doesn't sound like you're drinking too much at all
#13 Old 12-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

The stats from the second link are pretty startling. The benefit of moderate drinking seems to be quite substantial.

Correlation does not imply causation.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

Correlation does not imply causation.

That's true, of course. But without any obvious confounding variables, and a clear physiological explanation of how alcohol benefits the heart, I think it's safe in this instance to assume at the very least a modicum of causation.
#15 Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's true, of course. But without any obvious confounding variables, and a clear physiological explanation of how alcohol benefits the heart, I think it's safe in this instance to assume at the very least a modicum of causation.

Makes sense.

Also, how much can the moderate consumption of alcohol interfere with the recovery from a workout (lifting and cardio)? I know the primary problem here is dehydration but I generally drink a class of water in between beers. Are there any other effects I should be concerned with?

veganGO -
#16 Old 12-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Also, how much can the moderate consumption of alcohol interfere with the recovery from a workout (lifting and cardio)? I know the primary problem here is dehydration but I generally drink a class of water in between beers. Are there any other effects I should be concerned with?

Well alcohol metabolizes in a way that produces hypoglycemia, or a lowering of blood glucose, which can produce some fatigue. I've never tried to work out after alcohol consumption so I don't know how universal the effects are.
#17 Old 12-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well alcohol metabolizes in a way that produces hypoglycemia, or a lowering of blood glucose, which can produce some fatigue. I've never tried to work out after alcohol consumption so I don't know how universal the effects are.

I mean working out during the day and having a few drinks at night. I would never drink then go work out. =P

veganGO -
#18 Old 12-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What you have to remember with these statistics is that abstainers are often forced to abstain because they're alcoholics, or otherwise in very poor health, hence skewing the results.

I'm sure you've heard the phrase: "There are lies, damned lies and statistics!"
#19 Old 12-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I don't drink cause I'm edge but it's 1-2 glasses of red wine a day for men and 1 a day for woman. That's for wine so I dunno about other drinks. Red wine is the healthiest though.

Not true. Beer's actually better for you than wine.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in518587.shtml

Quote:
Beer has varying components like hops and barley that are not present in wine or whiskey. The added benefits include ingredients like B vitamins or folates, which have been shown to reduce homocysteine levels in the blood and reduce heart disease risk.

and to address the quantity question (though I think it's been answered)

Quote:
Two alcoholic drinks a day produce medical benefits but different forms of alcohol have specific advantages. The overall evidence is that moderate social drinkers live longer and are generally healthier than abstainers. Moderation means one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men. One drink is equivalent to twelve ounces of beer.

#20 Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicearth View Post

i would never drink then go work out. =p

lol
#21 Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

I'm sure you've heard the phrase: "There are lies, damned lies and statistics!"

I don't know why in the face of the clear physiological mechanisms of how alcohol protects the heart (research it for yourself), alcohol remains such a touchy subject.
#22 Old 12-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't know why in the face of the clear physiological mechanisms of how alcohol protects the heart (research it for yourself), alcohol remains such a touchy subject.

Well, probably for the reason I gave in the first part of my post...the bit you didn't quote!
#23 Old 12-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, probably for the reason I gave in the first part of my post...the bit you didn't quote!

The statistics bear out the science, what's the question?
#24 Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Banned

Alcohol is great. Nothing beats alcohol with some chicken drum sticks. Yum
#25 Old 12-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The benefits of drinking red wine are a myth. Let me explain how this myth started. Surveys indicted that red wine drinkers were healthier than people that didn't drink red wine.

Guess what? People that drink red wine are healthier not because of the red wine, but because of their overall healthier lifestyle and greater income - they eat better, they exercise more, etc but their health was in spite of drinking red wine, not because of it.

I think you could be jumping the gun a bit to say it's a myth at this stage.

Red wine contains Resveratrol, (in the skin of the grapes) which has shown in clinical trials that it may prevent cardiovascular disease and cancer which is how it got it's reputation for being a healthy beverage if drunk in moderation.

However, it hasn't been thoroughly studied on humans as yet so maybe people should take the purported benefits of drinking red wine with a pinch of salt until we know different.

#26 Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Alcohol does have estrogenic effects which can effect a woman's chances of getting breast cancer by some horrifying percentage (like 30-40%)!!??! Regardless of alcohol type!

Don't know the effects in men really.

I myself drink some red wine, but it's starting to weird me out a bit (doesn't help that I've been drinking lots [for me] during this holiday season).

Again, everything in moderation.
#27 Old 12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor View Post

Including cyanide.
#28 Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangirl View Post

Including cyanide.

lol

Peace Love and happiness

jenn
#29 Old 12-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Those stats you posted seem to make sense. I think stress is much worse on the body... what better for stress than a cold brew?

Quote:

I mean working out during the day and having a few drinks at night. I would never drink then go work out. =P

A year or so ago when I was watching my figure with scrutiny, I decided the best thing to do after a night of tequila was to put myself on a treadmill after I had woken up, had two glasses of water and a shower.

I totally don't recommend that. Post tequila morning + treadmill = certain doom

Quote:

Alcohol does have estrogenic effects which can effect a woman's chances of getting breast cancer by some horrifying percentage (like 30-40%)!!??! Regardless of alcohol type!

I myself drink some red wine, but it's starting to weird me out a bit (doesn't help that I've been drinking lots [for me] during this holiday season).

source? rather, how much alcohol to raise the risk of breast cancer?
#30 Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ Some research has suggested as little as one alcoholic drink a day increases the risk. So I guess anything over the RDA (for your country) wouldn't be advisable if you want to play it safe.

But then there's all the other factors that would have to be taken into account like whether a woman smokes or not and her diet etc....it's going to be more risky for some than others.

Quote:

It weirded me out too, that's one of the reasons why I rarely drink anymore.

I could never see the point in drinking one or two drinks as I drank for the sole purpose of relaxation and to get slightly drunk, and I would need four or five to do that, so I just gave it up as I thought anything more than one or two drinks was probably too risky over a long period of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page