Alcohol - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 12-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, if one is weighing the risk vs. benefits of alcohol consumption...

Quote:
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- We've heard for nearly a decade about the benefits of alcohol -- red wine in particular. It's good for your heart and may have other positive effects. In moderation, we thought, it's not only OK, but actually good for us.

But now there's a different risk to consider: New research appears to show a link between alcohol and breast cancer in women.

So what's a girl to do about her nightly glass of wine?

The short answer is, you have to judge for yourself, based on your health and your family medical history. Keep in mind that heart disease is the leading killer of women; in fact, women are six times as likely to die of heart disease as breast cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/condi...cer/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

This really depends on what one considers to be "affecting"

I only drink on occasions which is about once a month or once in 6 weeks. Even then, I don't get wasted off my head. Just 4 - 5 beers. Enough to feel a slight buzz.

I don't drink regularly because alcohol does cause dehydration, lowers testosterone and slows down metabolism if consumed frequently. As an athlete, this is exactly the opposite of what i want.
#33 Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

for ppl who smoke and therefore are at the risk of getting their pipes plugged, alc in some small amount may be helpful, since it kinda rushes through and washes out

this was just an example for these statistics not having an universal statement, especially none applying for sure to the minority called vegetarians. I don't know of a study that shows the effects on ppl who live extremely healthy anyway (which the average of vegetarians does). I'm just trying to make the point here, that these studies are made on the basis of average ppl, not on the basis of generally healthy ppl.

I actually do believe in science (am atheist) and usually am a friend of statistics. I am against alcohol though.

I haven't really consumed any since the age of 15 (which was 2 years ago). and that's not because of effects on health, but because of effects on humans behavior and society. It's again a question of principle for me.

I think that 3 beers won't be very health-influencing (besides the fact that alc-abuse kills braincells. but that you know of course. more on that matter can be found here: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Hea...103162109.html) so it's basically up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I too have heard that "moderate" drinking is considered to be 1-2 drinks a day for men and 1 drink a day for women.

I'm not going to lie, I drink way more than that. Usually I go out drinking one night each weekend with friends and we'll all have 4-5 drinks. I also have at least 1-2 drinks pretty much every night to relax when I come home from work. Usually it's wine (my husband and I are serious wine lovers, and keep a 200+ bottle library.)

I know that drinking less would probably be optimal for my physical health, but I really am not interested in reducing my alcohol consumption at this time. Wine is a stress reliever for me and I figure that living with less stress has health benefits in and of itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page