Yoga! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2003, 12:01 PM

Can anyone tell me do they know anything about Yoga? I hear it relaxes you. I get very tense and can't sleep!

It looks like fun! What exactly do you do? Got any good websites anyone?

ANY info is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmuncher View Post

Can anyone tell me do they know anything about Yoga? I hear it relaxes you. I get very tense and can't sleep!

It looks like fun! What exactly do you do? Got any good websites anyone?

ANY info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I am a yoga instructor. What would you like to know? Yoga is truly one of the best things you can do for yourself. There are so many facets to it - the physical stretching (hatha) is just one side of it. It has a very strong mental and spiritual connection as well. The whole point is to better your health and overall well-being from the inside out. I would suggest finding a studio in your area if you have one. If not, just find some videos, books, websites, etc. If you can find an in-person instructor, I would highly recommend it. I have to run now, but later I'll post again with some good books and sites to visit.

Namaste! (I bow to the divine in you.)
#3 Old 11-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Yoga is a fabulous practice that can benefit anyone, of any age, and of any ability/mobility. it is excellent for bringing about a strong, healthy body. There are many other links--somewhere on here--related to this topic!

there are also a number of good web sites out there, such as yoga journal, yoga international (himalayan institute), moving into stillness, and a myriad of others.

there are also a number of great books and videos out there for you to try, but i would highly recommend taking classes with a teacher if you can. don't worry about costs--ask if they give a first class for free or if they are willing to trade work for classes. many studio's will (including mine!).

Now, there are many styles of yoga. I find kripalu and sivananda to be great for gentle hatha yoga (yoga of asana, or postures) as well as meditation and relaxation. Astanga and power yogas are generally more vigorous, but can also be deeply restorative and ultimately very relaxing. i teach a blend--a more gentle vinyasa for the most part--so that students are balanced and happy.

if you live in the philadelphia area, feel free to come by the studio. my web address is ouryogastudio.com. you can check out what we're up to!

Good luck! be well and happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I started doing yoga again last Saturday, and I noticed the benefits that day. My body feels better, and my mind more focused. I wish I had the time and focus to do it every day, but I'm a bit too scattered right now. Saturdays will have to do in the meantime.
#5 Old 11-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Banned

As I've chanted before, Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!
#6 Old 11-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to be so good at doing yoga in the mornings. But ever since I got married and moved into this little apartment, I've found there's not enough room to do it. I'd love to start doing it again. I loved how it made me feel. I'll have to hunt around for a class or wait to start again when we find our own place in the spring.

Here's some websites I found just by doing a search for yoga...there's lots more out there:

www.yoga.com

www.americanyogaassociation.org

www.yogasite.com
#7 Old 11-18-2003, 05:35 PM

Thanks to all! I started tonight, I did some simple stuff, I found demonstrations on some of these sites you've given me. I found some quite sore tho! i'm VERY inflexible! Do you know any good routine for beginners.

i don't understand the differences between the diff types of yoga that you have talked about and another thing i don't get is, like epski said...how does it help your focus and concentration?

Thanks again!
#8 Old 11-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to do at least 1/2 an hour to an hour of it every evening. I succeed most of the time. It helps me sleep and helps me keep my focus during the day. Improving the overall condition of my body is a happy bonus. Yay for yoga!
#9 Old 11-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I love yoga, but I haven't done it in ages...no time But it's great! I reccomend buying "Yoga for Dummies"
#10 Old 11-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmuncher View Post

Thanks to all! I started tonight, I did some simple stuff, I found demonstrations on some of these sites you've given me. I found some quite sore tho! i'm VERY inflexible! Do you know any good routine for beginners.

i don't understand the differences between the diff types of yoga that you have talked about and another thing i don't get is, like epski said...how does it help your focus and concentration?

Thanks again!

If you are inflexible, don't get discouraged! Yoga isn't all about being flexible and the less limber you are, the more you need it. I could get into a very long post explaining different types of yoga, etc., etc. but all you can do is read, learn, take classes.

I am a certified Raja Hatha instructor. "Raja" translates to "royal" and is the origin of all other types of yoga. It strictly involves meditation and mind discipline and the development of the conscious mind which over time develops the path to the "higher self". "Hatha" strictly translates to the general physical aspects. All yogic postures (or asanas) were created to not only strengthen and condition the outside of the body, but every bodily function, gland and organ as well. The ulimate goal is to balance physical health, body, mind, and spirit.

Now, I have just given you a very general explanation. Every other type of yoga is just a branch of the concepts I just described. Some, like Bikram or Ashtanga, are intensly physical in nature while others may focus on breathing and meditating. Bikrham and Ashtanga have much less to do with meditation or mind discipline and most to do with a series of physical postures.

Here is a very educational site which gives a lot of in depth definition to yoga and its origin. The author, Swami Sivananda, was one of those yogis responsible for bringing the ancient yogic arts into the western 20th century.

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/teachings/rajayoga.htm#philo

Although a membership site, you can still get some good info and see some postures on this site: http://www.yogabasics.com/
#11 Old 11-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I am new at yoga too, this will be my 4th month taking classes.

I am loving it! I too am an insomniac, and I find that yoga has helped me get to sleep. It's gotten to be an addictive process, I need to do some yoga now every night before I go to bed (in addition to what I might do during the day).

The relaxation and breathing has helped me throughout the day. When I find myself tensing up or getting anxious/excited/stressed, I just do the ujay breath, or however that's spelled.

I'm now building myself my own personal yoga room in my house!

So far I've done Hatha yoga, and might start up a beginning Ashtanga class soon. We also do a bit of Tai Chi and Pilates in one of my classes.

I am loving yoga so much, it's part of my life now. Hopefully you'll love it too!
#12 Old 11-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and don't worry about being inflexible, I am too (but getting better). Just start with a beginning class, or some beginning yoga videos (or books). My yoga instructor always reminds us "Yoga is about embracing your body, accepting your limitations". She always says not to compare ourselves to others, just know that you are doing good for your body. And you'll know you are, because it feels so good.

I was going to list some websites for you, but I see they're already listed. But I have picked up a few yoga magazines, you might learn something from them too:

http://www.yogajournal.com/

http://www.yimag.org/
#13 Old 11-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

YOGA YOGA YOGA!!!! I wish I could get back into the routine. I was always charged with such a "clean" energy after yoga.
#14 Old 11-20-2003, 12:23 PM

for me yoga is not just about being ''flexible'', like the hatha yoga, bhakti yoga (yoga of devotion) unite and connect! (yoga means union) is probably the most powerful these days. there is also raja yoga (controlling the mental, which is impossible in our era) , jap yoga (chanting mantras) , jnana yoga (yoga of knowledge), tantric yoga (rituals and stuff, mastering the shakti (sexual energy)..

Personally, bhakti and karma yoga are those my ego hate the most

I've been to the maha kumbha mela in india in 2001, and there was (no bull) 30 millions sadhus and yogis gathered for a month, let me tell you that when i see people here buying brand new cars with hatha yoga without any knowledge of what yoga is all about...

but it still good the keep the temple clean
#15 Old 11-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i'd like to point out that astanga yoga refers to the "eight limbs" of yoga, which are practiced simultaniously throuhgout the asana practice. astanga teachers the philosophy, meditation, pranayama (breath work), etc, all through the asana practice (which is called "yoga therapy").

there are many forms of yoga that are more physical that mental, emotional, spiritual--but that mostly depends upon the teacher. while Bikram himself is not a spiritual man, nor is that his interest in teaching yoga to his students, many teachers who are Bikram certified are extremely spiritual teachers and add that to their bikram sequences.

yoga is a HUGE system with many different practices (asana and otherwise) so it is difficult to understand variences when you're first starting out. don't worry about learning everything. just try one thing and see what you like abut it.
#16 Old 11-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by omshanti View Post

there is also raja yoga (controlling the mental, which is impossible in our era)

I teach Raja. It is challenging in our era, but certainly not impossible.
#17 Old 11-20-2003, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

I teach Raja. It is challenging in our era, but certainly not impossible.

are you includind breathing techniques like pranayama or kriya yoga?
#18 Old 11-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by omshanti View Post

are you includind breathing techniques like pranayama or kriya yoga?

Yes, I always incorporate some type of breathing exercise during a class such as Kapalabhati and Moola Bandha.

My classes are a combo of Raja & Hatha. There are several savasanas between asanas, during which I do guided meditations using relaxation suggestions, visualizations, pratyahara, and chakra work to name just a few things. Sometimes I teach the bija sounds and how they coincide with different organs and chakras.

It is this vastness of the art and science of yoga that inspires my teaching because no class is the same as the last. I do, however, consistently include the master series asanas because they are so important to the body.
#19 Old 11-21-2003, 04:16 PM

bija sounds sound interesting, i'll try to find what it is...

om
#20 Old 11-29-2003, 12:12 PM

i would like to start taking yoga at a place called "yoga island" when it opens in january, and I am wondering how much I should be paying for this? Like how much per lesson or per month or whatever.
#21 Old 11-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

the going rate here is $10 / class, and usually if you pay for a bunch of classes up front, they'll give you a deal. Most studios will let you do your first class for free, and one of the studios here has a couple of "community" classes which are simpler and cheaper, just to get people started.

I need to be doing yoga.........

Nec Aspera Terrent
#22 Old 11-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

around here, drop ins for classes cost anywhere from $12 to $15, but at Our Yoga Studio, i charge $10 for a drop in. Private lessons run $55 for an in studio lesson and $75 to $90 for an in-home lesson. A Thai Yoga Massage costs $60 and we have special barter days.

also, many studios will allow work study for classes, and as randy said, give you a deal if you buy a package. In studios where drop ins cost $12 to $15, classes generally cost $10 or $12 per when you buy a session of 8 or 10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page