Fainting when I get up - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Beginner

The past few days whenever I've gotten up from a seated position (mostly my mother's couch which is one of those couches that are very deep and soft) my eyes have darkened, there's been an intense throbbing pain in my head and I feel like my knees are going to buckle

Any ideas what it could be, and what I could do ? (I have been eating regularly and drinking water)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Go see a doctor.

#3 Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Low blood sugar maybe?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Go see a doctor.

I don't want to My doctor is a bully and makes me want to cry every time I see him.

Can't I avoid low blood sugar by eating (good) food?
#5 Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Maybe you should get a new doctor. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that, how unprofessional.

You should never have to be scared to get medical attention! Get a new doctor that respects you.
#6 Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Maybe you should get a new doctor. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that, how unprofessional.

You should never have to be scared to get medical attention! Get a new doctor that respects you.

Yeah, he's claimed that I have a disease I just possible can't have, we're waiting for the tests results and my mother has said that if this turns out to be a false alarm I'm getting a new doctor.

He's just stereotypes everything, so he won't listen and just tells me what to do and that's that. He's made me cry a few times :\\
#7 Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I second the getting a new Dr. Nothing worse than looking to someone for advice and having them put you down and feeling as though you can't ask them questions.

Feeling light headed when standing could be due to a lot of things, i would deffinitely see a Dr. I get that sometimes too, so I try to sit up straight first and get up slowly, allowing time for the blood to circulate, and it helps.
#8 Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy_Mar View Post

I don't want to My doctor is a bully and makes me want to cry every time I see him.

Can't I avoid low blood sugar by eating (good) food?

Well can you go and see another DR , sounds like you might need a blood test .

If it is blood sugar issues , it is helped by frequent small meals during the day , but there is more to it than that .

It could be Iron/B12 issues , the only way to work through that is blood testing .

Either way you need to see a Dr , see you are a student ....is that like a university student , they will have a campus Dr . If not ring your women centre and get a referral of a friendly Dr from them .

#9 Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Opps just back read , looks like you are moving on from your Dr with your mothers assistance , so that's good.
#10 Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM

I was thinking lack of iron, but it could be a lot of things.

I hope you get a new doctor soon, one that is respectful and trustworthy!
#11 Old 11-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Try checking out a Naturopathic Doctor

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#12 Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

do check on your blood sugar and iron levels....i've had problems with both in the past and the fainting issues have at least been managed by keeping tabs on the blood sugar and iron. it could also be a vertigo or blood pressure issue....there are a lot of possibilities. just take it easy when you get up so you don't actually fall to the floor and hurt yourself before you get things checked out!
#13 Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Fainting when moving from a sitting to standing position I know in my case is due to low blood pressure. Are you drinking/eating enough? Goto your doctor and get it checked out. It's nothing overly major but definatly needs sorting!
#14 Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Fainting is not something to take lightly. There are many benign causes of it yes, but you can't be diagnosed on a message board. Any doctor worth his/her salt will want to rule out anything potentially serious, such as a cardiac-related problem. I had problems with fainting when I was young, and it turned out to be a congenital heart defect. Not trying to be an alarmist, but please do get yourself looked at properly.
#15 Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

you definitely definitely need a doctor to do some tests. Odds are, it's something with blood sugar or iron, which is easily fixed. If the bloodwork comes back completely clear, and they try to write it off as stress or something, perhaps request a head MRI. I don't meat to scare you or anything, but I used to have issues like this (and still do sometimes) and I had a braintumor in my ear canal when I was 16. It started around the same time my hearing went in that ear.

Again, it's super highly unlikely and I really don't want to scare you, I just want to make sure you know to not let your doctor write it off as nothing as there's this teeny tiny chance it could be something else.
#16 Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Beginner

Do iron/B12 levels fluctuate from day to day? Cos I had like 3 or 4 blood tests a week or two ago, and I hate blood tests. But I'm sure it could be the iron levels, I only recently became (lacto ovo) vegetarian and I haven't really eaten meat the past few months before that cos I've been reading up on vegetarian and I just couldn't eat with a clear conscience.

I live in Norway :-\\ so there isn't a lot of stuff here to choose from, I will get all the stuff right. It's just not as easy for me to substitute all the meat i have in my life with soy and other "meat" products. We only have quorn mince and filets and it's quite expensive.

I'll go to the doctor if it persists, haven't fallen and hurt myself so far

Thank you all for the help I love these message boards
#17 Old 11-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

you definitely definitely need a doctor to do some tests. Odds are, it's something with blood sugar or iron, which is easily fixed. If the bloodwork comes back completely clear, and they try to write it off as stress or something, perhaps request a head MRI. I don't meat to scare you or anything, but I used to have issues like this (and still do sometimes) and I had a braintumor in my ear canal when I was 16. It started around the same time my hearing went in that ear.

Again, it's super highly unlikely and I really don't want to scare you, I just want to make sure you know to not let your doctor write it off as nothing as there's this teeny tiny chance it could be something else.

Wow.. okay

I really hope not, how quick can one of those tumors grow though? Cos I had a disease and they couldn't figure out what it was and they did scans of my head and it was clear. Could it be like, they weren't looking for a tumor so they could've missed it?
#18 Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 PM

I've had the same thing happen to me, but i have Vasovagal Syncope. It's a neurological condition where the nervous system that controls your involuntary functions (valves in your arteries/veins, heart beats, breathing... etc) temporarily shuts down causing the blood to not be pumped to the brain resulting in tunnel vision, loss of hearing, throbbing head, disorientation, then fainting. It can be brought on by exhaustion, fatigue, not eating right, or simply pressure being put on a specific nerve in your neck.
#19 Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd0617 View Post

I've had the same thing happen to me, but i have Vasovagal Syncope. It's a neurological condition where the nervous system that controls your involuntary functions (valves in your arteries/veins, heart beats, breathing... etc) temporarily shuts down causing the blood to not be pumped to the brain resulting in tunnel vision, loss of hearing, throbbing head, disorientation, then fainting. It can be brought on by exhaustion, fatigue, not eating right, or simply pressure being put on a specific nerve in your neck.

Well those are some of the symptoms. Not tunnel vision though and the hearing, sometimes it's very crisp and clear (like I'm using an old fashioned metal megaphone as hearing aid) in contrast to my vision that just blacks out and my head that feels heavy. Sometimes it just feels like there's a hood over my entire head :\\ I'll be going to the doctor though, if it doesn't go away

(but stress seems like a valid cause) thanks for the help
#20 Old 11-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

Do iron/B12 levels fluctuate from day to day? Cos I had like 3 or 4 blood tests a week or two ago, and I hate blood tests. But I'm sure it could be the iron levels, I only recently became (lacto ovo) vegetarian and I haven't really eaten meat the past few months before that cos I've been reading up on vegetarian and I just couldn't eat with a clear conscience.

Iron might fluctuate slightly (eg period time ) but can take several months to come back to normal levels , but you should feel an improvement in the first week with proper supplements from the DR , there are a couple of ways to treat it .

B12 is different , its stored in the body and can take a while to show symptoms . Its caused by inadequate dietary intake or impaired absorptions . Still ,like low iron its easily treatable , as earlier point out in your thread .

Out of interest , what do you normally eat in a day ?
#21 Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

when my best friend went vegan a few yrs ago, she went cold turkey and with no nutritional information bad choice

her iron levels and other things dropped dramatically and she would faint at times. she fainted a few times at work, home, while out with friends etc..

she went to the doctor and he said it was her diet... so she backed up from vegan and became lacto ovo vegetarian and researched her foods more to get what she needed. she's been alot better lately thankfully... so yea, it could just be what your eating, or not eating...
#22 Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Iron might fluctuate slightly (eg period time ) but can take several months to come back to normal levels , but you should feel an improvement in the first week with proper supplements from the DR , there are a couple of ways to treat it .

B12 is different , its stored in the body and can take a while to show symptoms . Its caused by inadequate dietary intake or impaired absorptions . Still ,like low iron its easily treatable , as earlier point out in your thread .

Out of interest , what do you normally eat in a day ?

Well in my everyday life I don't really eat breakfast, I really know I should I do when I can but sometimes I just can't. But when I do, two slices of bread. Then nothing really until 9 ish hours later when I just eat all the time when I'm home. I eat fruit whenever we have some, then dinner between 5 - 7 ish

Wow, I realised now - that's not much really I do eat lots of fruit, and vegetables in between when I'm home. I am capable of eating a whole bell pepper by myself lol (they're yummy)

I think I'd eat a bit more often if I a)had space in my school bag, or a separate bag to keep my food in b) knew what to make that'd be healthy and tasty as well.
#23 Old 11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa1 View Post

when my best friend went vegan a few yrs ago, she went cold turkey and with no nutritional information bad choice

her iron levels and other things dropped dramatically and she would faint at times. she fainted a few times at work, home, while out with friends etc..

she went to the doctor and he said it was her diet... so she backed up from vegan and became lacto ovo vegetarian and researched her foods more to get what she needed. she's been alot better lately thankfully... so yea, it could just be what your eating, or not eating...

I take an iron (and B12) supplement though, and I feel so bad now because I haven't actually passed directly out yet. I have been close but as of yet I haven't lost consciousness (have only fainted once in my life so I'm not really speaking from a lot of experience).

I really hope no one will get angry with me cos of the slight error in the title, I just wanted some guidance before I did pass out (in some stairs or something yikes)
#24 Old 11-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Even coming close to fainting isn't something to take lightly.

I'd say when ever you feel light headed, or such sit back down and put your head between your knees. When you go to get up, move slowly; move to the edge of the couch before fulling standing up.

I don't know if you answered this but do you do anything extremely strenuous or do you not get an adequate amount of sleep?
#25 Old 11-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I take an iron (and B12) supplement though, and I feel so bad now because I haven't actually passed directly out yet. I have been close but as of yet I haven't lost consciousness (have only fainted once in my life so I'm not really speaking from a lot of experience).

I really hope no one will get angry with me cos of the slight error in the title, I just wanted some guidance before I did pass out (in some stairs or something yikes)

Yea true... The vitamin should be good, but only blood tests and that can really tell what it is, so I'd try and organize some of those ASAP When I went veggie I was lucky to have a great (ALSO VEGETARIAN :-O )doctor. he said I should be fine being lacto-ovo veg, and if I started feeling bad to come in and he'd do blood tests and then we would alter my diet accordingly from there... He also said he had been veg for 20 yrs and had no problems and took no vitamins...

I know for awhile there I was getting headaches, and I know taht can be from lack of iron so I made sure to take my vitamin each day and they have gone away now...

But yea, go to a doctor (a NICE one) and see what they can tell you

Good luck

xx
#26 Old 11-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, get a new doc. Also, you could have an inner ear problem. I had the pleasure of interning for one of the best ear surgeons in the U.S. People would not believe the things that can go wrong in the ear and other ear-connected issues that can cause problems like this.
#27 Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Beginner

I don't really strain myself, I don't move enough really. Also I don't sleep very well, it's all sort of interlinked But my daily rythm is quite off.

But I want to thank you all, you're so lovely and it really feels like you're trying to help. It's all quite touching
#28 Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I was having problems with this about a year ago. I'd stand up and everything would go blurry, my head would pound and I'd almost fall over. I went to the doctor, and it turned out my electrolytes were outta whack. I was drinking too much water but not replacing it with enough sodium. He suggested I drink gatorade for a few days... haha.
#29 Old 11-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I was having problems with this about a year ago. I'd stand up and everything would go blurry, my head would pound and I'd almost fall over. I went to the doctor, and it turned out my electrolytes were outta whack. I was drinking too much water but not replacing it with enough sodium. He suggested I drink gatorade for a few days... haha.

"You're watering PLANTS with <name of sports drink I can't remember>???"

"It's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!"

Sorry - haha Idiocracy quote

It could be the salt, cos I've always had a very high sodium intake but then I got a bit paranoid and now I think I don't have any at all lol
#30 Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"You're watering PLANTS with <name of sports drink I can't remember>???"

"It's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!"

Sorry - haha Idiocracy quote

Lol. I think of that movie everytime I hear the word "electrolytes" now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page