High protein, low carb foods for diabetes management...any ideas? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Last time i was pregnant i developed gestational diabetes, so this time around i went to the dietician early to set up an eating plan to help avoid and/or control if it should happen to return during this pregnancy...the chances are good that it will return.

Because I'm trying to control my carbs and spread them out during the day, I was told to increase my protein intake and try to have some protein with every meal. When I told her I'm a veg*n, of course she gave me the usual "only animal products give you proper iron intake, blah blah". I'm at a loss of what to eat that is a good source of protein, but lower in carbohydrates. Last time I was pregnant I was omni, so I had no problems, but now that I'm vegan I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Good protein foods include:

Goji berries, Spirulina, Hemp Seeds, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Soybeans (whole soy no processed junk)...these are all complete protein sources

Other good sources that aren't complete proteins include:

Wheat, nuts, seeds, many grains, beans...etc

Ooops...I didn't put which were low in carbs I forgot!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I have type 1 diab myself, and while there are foods that will work for some pple, for others, it may cause a drastic change in their BS. I would suggest watching your food intake and checking your BS daily w/ an at home monitor, if you dont already.

For me, quinoa and oats are great. Oat bread and WHOLE GRAINS are the best.

Combine your carbs w/ high protein and fat, as both will help slow the BS effect... for example, adding PB to an apple, as a snack is better than just a plain apple.

Tofu, Seitan are super high in protein.

Popcorn, nuts, edamame are great snacks.

i have to say though, that for me, portion control has been the most important part of a meal. Try to train your body to eat often and smaller portions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Why not try a protein supplement? I know pregnant women do it all the time. I drink a vegetarian protein shake called Nutribody -- it's made of brown rice and pea protein, no sugar, no additives, etc. Definitely do your research and find out which of the ones out there may work for you!
#5 Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned

One of the problems that many people have with low carb dieting is the elimination of bread and pasta. Many of the foods that are quickest to prepare are based around carbohydrates - burgers in their buns, fries, sandwiches, pasta and sauce. It is true that alcohol is generally restricted on any diet, because it is high in calories and very low in nutritional value, but low carb diets put particular emphasis on this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low Carb Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page