The effects of all-nighters - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I've done a bunch of 2-hour/night "nighters" in the last few months, including three in a row one week. I caught up over the weekend with 14 hours of sleep AND a 2-hour nap in the evening.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I usually stay up for an hour or so if I try to go to bed before I'm tired. If I stay up, though, I can go 'til 3 or 4am before I finally start fading...

It's a pain sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I'm not really affected by all-nighters or 1-3 hours of sleep nights... I generally try to make it up as soon as I can, but I don't really need much sleep. I'm not sure that it is the healthiest way to go, but I can tell you with confidence that a long succession of all-nighters will not kill you. I've been pulling 2 to 4 a month for seven or eight months now, and I am neither insane nor dead.

The only problem that I have is somnambulism; it only happens after a few all-nighters in a row, but I will wake up in the shower or walking down the hall or sitting at the table and it takes me a few minutes to figure out where I am. Hasn't killed me, though.

Just sleep as much as you can -- that's the most any of us can do.
#33 Old 11-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if I'll sleep at all this night. It's 5 in the morning and I have yet to go go sleep, I'm still up writing my term paper...and uhm.. spending time on VB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea View Post

I wonder if I'll sleep at all this night. It's 5 in the morning and I have yet to go go sleep, I'm still up writing my term paper...and uhm.. spending time on VB.

The story of my life.
#35 Old 11-19-2003, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

The story of my life.

Hey night-person

Yah..still up, 6.30
#36 Old 11-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Twice in my life I stayed up 72 hours straight. I hallucinated both times. Once was in grade school at an all weekend slumber party (with no slumber). The other time was in college when I probably would have been hallucinating anyway...

Since then, my life has had many instances of sleep deprivation (doesn't help that I'm an insomniac). I've worked in the dotcom industry, so many all-nighters then, and one job requiring me to work 80-100 hours a week (just 4 hours of sleep most nights). They burn young college grads out and then hire new victims. Also, I was addicted to Everquest and would do all weekend raids and get no sleep.

Now, I'm trying to balance my life and be nicer to myself and get enough sleep and relaxation.
#37 Old 11-21-2003, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Damn! That's not fair! I've never hallucinated!!!

I guess I should give in to drugs... But, then, hallucinating has to be overrated.
#38 Old 11-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

>>Damn! That's not fair! I've never hallucinated!!!

I guess I should give in to drugs... But, then, hallucinating has to be overrated.

>>

If you want hallucinations that are reminiscent of sleep-dep. (and believe me, you don't), you'd want to take an anti-cholinergic deleriant. This class of drugs includes drammamine (in bennedryl), doxylamine (in unisom), and the deadly datura plant. The hallucinations are typically of mundane occurences and cannot easily be identified as real or fake. You could, for example, end up starting a conversation with a friend of yours only to have him or her disappear when you look away. Note that I do not advocate the use of this class of drugs for they are physiologically dangerous at doses not much higher than the hallucinotory threshold. Also, it should be noted that the hallucinations caused by this class of drugs bear little resemblance to the illusions encountered on typical psychedelics such as lsd. Psychedelic illusions typically consist of shifting, fractalloid patterns appearing out of randomness, color-shifting, spacial distortion, etc., and can easily be identified as fake at reasonable doses.

ebola, taking the humor out of another post.
#39 Old 11-22-2003, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola View Post

ebola, taking the humor out of another post.

LOL. Exactly!

I'm fine with my mind unaltered. I'm fine with not knowing what I'm missing.
#40 Old 11-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah...I have a mild but as of yet uncured case of timothy leary syndrome.
#41 Old 03-28-2008, 12:02 AM

As humans we can take a LOT of stress. Maybe to live a normal life we don't want to all night on occasion, as it is strenuous on the body and mind. Children shouldn't, teens will. If you have an 8 year old and a 14 year old, try to get the 8 year olds ideas separated.

As a teenager, I've done it to game. I don't game anymore. Now I stay up for the feeling, completely out of it, loss of thought, I feel as if I am in an urban jungle. Everyone's a tiger. And feel awfully wonky as I head to school in the morning.
#42 Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestairs View Post

Now I stay up for the feeling, completely out of it, loss of thought, I feel as if I am in an urban jungle. Everyone's a tiger. And feel awfully wonky as I head to school in the morning.

Future druggie?
#43 Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 AM

ha ha. hide the banana skins.
#44 Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM

I remember the very end of my final undergrad year at Uni. I had 'run out of steam' and just wanted to finish the course and my last week involved writing an essay and revising for 2 exams. I think I was up for nearly 2 days just drinking black coffee. I started to seriously think I had lost the plot and it took me days to get back to normal. Sends a shiver down my spine just thinking of how awful it was
#45 Old 03-28-2008, 04:59 PM

Luckily I've never stayed up all night. Close to it though(3-4 hours away). Unfortunetly I have trained myself for 14 years to get tired around 9-11 although I sometime can stay up until 2-4 am, but rarely.
#46 Old 04-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

You're legally insane if you stay awake for over 72 hrs.

Just try to sleep wherever you can. And next time, plan better so you don't hafta pull an all nighter. Thats my best advice. I didn't ever have to pull an all nighter in college, its possible to get your work done at a reasonable time.

72? man im insane then. iv done that several tiems when i have had to. *insomniac with sleep anxiety*
#47 Old 04-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Damn! That's not fair! I've never hallucinated!!!

trust me, your not missing out.
#48 Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, hello old thread.
#49 Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

it's been a while since a thread from 2003 was bumped.
#50 Old 04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestairs View Post

Now I stay up for the feeling, completely out of it, loss of thought, I feel as if I am in an urban jungle. Everyone's a tiger. And feel awfully wonky as I head to school in the morning.

WTF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page