Giving up meat was way easy for me - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM

....but I'm finding quitting artificial sweeteners to be the hardest thing I've ever done!

What the efff is it about diet coke? I can't let it go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

All artificial sweeteners are toxic. Aspartame, for example, metabolizes into formaldehyde and formic acid after consumption. Look them up some time.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#3 Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm finally (mostly) off the aspartame kick. Really, the only way to do it, is to never start drinking the stuff. once you start, you're screwed.

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

All artificial sweeteners are toxic. Aspartame, for example, metabolizes into formaldehyde and formic acid after consumption. Look them up some time.

This is why I'm cutting them out of my life.... The cravings are horrible though. They just keep popping up. The other day I accidentaly bought almond milk with splenda in it. That seems like a contradiction in a glass.
#5 Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I know how you feel!!

For years I've been drinking diet coke and eating foods with artificial sweeteners -- now I'm trying to stop and it's SOOO HARD!!

I have cut it down to about one diet coke per day. I find that I don't really EAT much with aspartame, it's mostly in my beverages.

Ugh. It's hard, I hear ya!
#6 Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

The thing that got me off the artificial sweetner kick (which admittedly was brief) was drinking water with fresh lemons in it. When I first went to a spa, the coolest thing was that they had these big water coolers with cuts of lemon in them. It's so simple but refreshing and much helathier. I know I have to be careful it doesn't strip the enamel on my teeth but I just know it's better for me that aspartame.

Good luck! It's not easy.
#7 Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Beginner

My answer is tea sweetened with Agave nectar and juice. Green tea with a little pear juice, I find, is delicious. Pineapple juice and apple juice also taste great. Obviously this is a tad bit more calorie dense but it's helped me.

The best thing that will make the cravings go away however is time. If I slip up and buy some diet soda, or have a night of drinking and opt for that type of mixer, I have cravings for 2-3 weeks.

My Dad found that squeezing some lemon and lime into water made it more palatable for him. I guess I'm lucky that I enjoy drinking plain (albeit room temperature!) water.

*Edit* Way to beat me to the lemon and water thing Beachbnny!
#8 Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

wow, i never knew this...i dont usually use artificial sweeteners, but its good to know this..it totally makes me not even wanna use them.
#9 Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I know they are horrible for me. I adore coke zero-It is prettymuch my only vice. I gave up coffee and even THAT went better. I love being able to have something that feels a little like cheating, because I eat very, very healthy. I never eat (other)junkfood. I know I would be better off having a glass of regualr coke every once and awhile, but my metabolism is so slow I think I would gain atleast 10 pounds per glass. No joke. Ther eis something about coke zero....
#10 Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't get this, I drank 2-3 diet sodas a day for over a year, and when I realized how terrible they were for me, I just quit drinking soda. It wasn't a big deal at all for me. I've been known to get intense cravings for tea, but I've never craved soda, diet or not.

Anyway, artificial sweeteners are tested on animals.
#11 Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Dude, I'm having the worst time with that too!! I heard they talked about all the negative affects of aspartame in Skinny Biatch so I bought and read it. It did nothing for me!! I still drink diet soda and use Splenda in my coffee. I don't use it too much....I drink about 1/2-1 cup of coffee per day and MAYBE 1 or two sodas/week...still I'd like to stop all together.
#12 Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jess View Post

This is why I'm cutting them out of my life.... The cravings are horrible though. They just keep popping up. The other day I accidentaly bought almond milk with splenda in it. That seems like a contradiction in a glass.

Which brand of almond milk uses Splenda?

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page