Low blood pressure - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone else have this? I haven't been formally diagnosed but my symptoms sound exactly like this:

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/...html?pageNum=3

I am in situations where I have to stand for as many as four hours at a time without moving much from one spot (fidgeting would probably be noticed). By the end of half an hour, I'm starting to feel light headed. After an hour, light headed and nauseated. A little longer and I get dizzy, my concentration fades and I become very, very tired. Then my brain gets foggy and I feel the need to be very attentive to any sign I might be about to pass out. I've never passed out yet but I think I have come very close. When I start moving around again I have to be careful not to fall. The mental fog seems to last for up to half an hour after I get to move around, and moving around is a much better solution than sitting down.

The lowest my bp has been that I know of is 95/60, in the doctor's office. I'm a distance runner so both my bp and heart rate tend to be pretty low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what blood pressure should be... mine was 97/73 at the doctor today... I guess it's a little low, but I don't know what it should be.

I think regardless of how good your blood pressure is, standing still for four hours will mess it up. Do you tend to get dizzy when you stand up? That's how I measure it usually. I tend to get those symptoms as well, but especially when I stand up after sitting for more than half an hour. I'll get dizzy and have tunnel-vision. I'm so used to it though that I just keep doing what I'm doing knowing I'll get my vision back in a few seconds.

I've never had my head be foggy for that long from it, though. You may well have low blood pressure, but it sounds to me like it's caused by the long standing not by a health issue. Of course, if it's worrying you (which it sounds like it is), I would certainly suggest talking to a doctor about it.
#3 Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, sometimes my vision goes dark around the edges and my body feels tingly and weird and unsteady if I stand up too quickly. I have read that what your blood pressure is objectively, to a certain extent, does not matter so much. For some people 100/70 would be low and cause unsteadiness, but anything below 60 diastolic, I think, is considered potentially problematic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

normal healthy blood pressures range from around 110-130/70-90.

blood pressure measures how hard your heart and c.v.s are working to circulate.

of course we hear a ton about high blood pressure and how horrible it is, because a lot of people have hypertension etc.

i have very low blood pressure, its usually around 102/64 (resting). i am also a distance runner and have been told that helps keep it low, since its not really a bad thing in a way.

i faint easily, will get tingly arms and legs if in the same position too long, giving blood doesn't work (can't fill the bag), feet and hands get cold a lot.

other than that i don't really see it as a problem, i just move a lot and don't try to give blood anymore.

on a funny note, my friend and i were practicing taking blood pressure's one day and she was so amazed at my low bp, she said i must have encountered a vampire...i wish, vampires are hot!
#5 Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Your symptoms also sound similar to having low blood sugar. If you're standing in one spot for long periods of time, i assume you're also not eating in this time which could in part account for those symptoms.

I notice that when i am dehydrated i can get hypotensive and have similar symptoms to the ones you describe, however i also get similar symptoms when my blood sugar drops.

Blood pressure taken when in a doctors office when you're not symptomatic is usually pretty inaccurate. It may be worth investing in a blood pressure monitor to keep an eye on your blood pressure when you are symptomatic. However, do note that blood pressure monitors you buy over the counter are not always accurate so dont go running to your doctor with just one abnormal result.

In the meantime make sure you eat regularly, and healthily (which i'm sure you do already as you're a distance runner), also ensure you are well hydrated.
#6 Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM
ICU
Beginner

The important thing about low blood pressure is if you are experiencing signs and symptoms like those mentioned. Some people are naturally low. As long as they are pink, warm, dry and making sense they tolerate lower BP's than others. I am more interested in the mean arterial pressure (MAP) than systolic (top number) or diastolic (bottom number). As long as it is 65 mmHg or better I know people are perfusing. When people become symptomatic that causes a truck load of problems. There are quite a few causes of low BP that are of concern (some include dehydration, irregular heart rate, sepsis and a host of other conditions).

Getting symptomatic when changing positions such as lying to sitting to standing is called orthostatic hypotension. There is a drop in BP and an accompanying change in heart rate. In these kind of instances you have to change positions slowly and you should have less problems. Also, make sure you are hydrated.

Faith not fear, hope not worry
#7 Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really think 95/60 is that low to be concerned about it. Mine has been lower, but I have never felt any of those symptoms. If you're feeling all those symptoms though, it would be a good idea to see a doctor. I don't know much about vertigo, but I do know that also causes people to feel dizzy.
#8 Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going in to see my doctor tomorrow just to be certain. If it's normal I'll just have to learn to deal. And maybe make fidgeting be ok while standing. I am sure people will understand.
#9 Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Beginner

Mine was 102/60 the last time I donated blood. I know my mom has low blood pressure and poor circulation too but hopefully it's not a problem. I can't say I've experienced any of those symptoms other than cold skin.
#10 Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

How often do you eat? And how much do you eat? And what are you eating?

Eat enough and eat the right foods and this should all but go away.

This happened to me about 75% of the time I was vegan and still happens to me about 2-3 days a week - it nearly 100% coincides with days I haven't eaten in a while.

FWIW my BP is usually around 80/65 when taken. My RHR is around 55-60bpm.
#11 Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

It often happens if I don't eat until lunch, but sometimes it doesn't matter. In generaly I eat pretty healthy - whole grains, legumes, veggies and fruits, nuts and nut butters. Very little processing. I also eat plenty, and sometimes probably too much. I don't think the amount is a concern. I'm also on lamictal and lexapro, though - I should look and see if any of my issues are related.
#12 Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Good idea. Do you also drink enough liquids throughout the day?
#13 Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I have low BP - can't remember what it comes up at but i'll do a test if i can find my OH's bp monitor he has slightly high BP.

I have to watch my eating to keep sugars steady or i crash.

If I haven't eaten/have blood taken/ am stressed etc then I am prone to losing my vision (like an untuned tv) and passing out if i don't pay attention to the loss of vision.

in my teens i had a lot of episodes where i passed out making breakfast... being a teen off school i'd sleep too long and my body couldn't take it.

I had a few scares when pregnant too as baby unbalanced my levels i guess.

As an adult i've learnt to manage this but my Dr has made me promise that if anymore symptoms present themselves i'll return for it to be monitored. Fingers x'd i'm ok!
#14 Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I am very well-hydrated. I almost always have a bottle of some kind of fluid to hand.

Porffor, that description of the untuned tv is very apt - exactly what happens to me.
#15 Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, you get that sparkly tunnel vision right?

I think this is a pretty common occurrence, getting light headed, and isn't much to worry about. Most, if not all, people will sometimes stand up too quickly or get dizzy with sudden movement. Now if it's happening while you're walking or standing around, that's a different issue. But if you go from sitting/laying to standing, that's pretty normal.

Doesn't hurt to check w/your doctor, but I honestly don't think it's anything to worry about.
#16 Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post

I'm also on lamictal and lexapro, though - I should look and see if any of my issues are related.

i took lexapro for a few years and it messed w/ me big time!

most of the symptoms got way worse when i was lowering my dose, probably signs of withdrawl.

my peripheral vision lessoned (couldn't see to the sides of me)

very nauseous (threw up every morning)

slow reaction, confusion (so bad i stopped driving a car)

my brain "twitched", every few minutes especially when i was trying to concentrate my brain would feel like it was twitching or jumping for a second, very weird!

a lot of other stuff happened to me b/c of lexapro, message me if you want to talk more about it.
#17 Old 09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

That's the thing - it does happen when I'm standing. In fact, it happens more then than when I stand up. I have to stand for up to four hours at a time so it's inconvenient to say the least.

I get nausea with the lexapro also, and I am not sure if it's low blood pressure, low blood sugar, or the lexapro that seems to be dulling me. At work yesterday I was having a hard time keeping track of my tasks. I've only been on it since last Thursday so I was hoping the side effects might attenuate with time. If it works, though, I'll deal with the side effects to avoid bouts of suicidal depression.
#18 Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Wow, I used to have all of the symptoms on that site, and black out all the time. The lowest my blood pressure has been was 80/50, but I never really check, so I don't know what it usually is. Its actually gotten a lot better since I went vegetarian, and now vegan, because I've been thinking more about nutrition and actually eating more than I used to before, so I don't worry too much about it anymore. interesting to read about though, I didn't know so many other people experienced symptoms like this.

hope everything works out for you and you get to feeling better. Geez, I think it would be hard to stand for four hours at a time even if I was feeling great, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be when you're feeling lightheaded and dizzy.
#19 Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, update. I think it's definitely the lexapro, given what other people are telling me. And now those symptoms seem to be continuous and not just when standing for long blocks of time. It actually does seem to help my mood, but I hope some of these side effects moderate over time.
#20 Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

well, if you are experiencing these symptoms, i *do* think this si something to worry about...pass out and knock your head, its an issue!!

I have severely low bp myself, from diabetic nerve damage, but even before then, i had circulation issues..where i couldnt stand still for long, or my legs would swell. It helps to eat, drink, etc...all those things mentioned above...

but also, look into support hose or knee high socks even....just make sure the elastic around the top isnt too tight.

as far as figeting and moving...go up and down on your toes/ heels to engage your calf muscles, and crossing your legs at the knees (while standing) and sort of crouching a bit, so that you engage your thigh muscles... are some moves that my doc told me about.

btw, can i ask what job you have that makes it difficult to fidget? it sounds torturous!! lol.
#21 Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not my job, thankfully - I'm a vet tech so I run around constantly. It's church. I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian and I sing in the choir, so fidgeting is sort of noticeable. Like I said, it's not like anyone would actually mind, it's just that I feel conspicuous! But pride would be a silly reason to let myself pass out. Now THAT would be conspicuous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page