So 6 months later my mom discovers i dont eat chicken.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Beginner

We were sitting in a diner and i wasnt hungry so i got a fresh fruit cup. So of course everyone keeps offering me some of their meaty dishes.. Seriously i wasnt hungry! My mom offers me her chicken and i told her i dont eat chicken. She goes 'wow you dont even eat chicken, your going to get sick' Sick? seriously? because i havent eaten a single piece of any sort of meat in almost exactly 6 months and havent had a single sniffle or 'sickness' of any sort. In fact she gets more colds and weirdo illnesses than i do. I havent even had a glimmer of illness in over 2 years (when i worked at a daycare with kids i got the flu) And i eat better than anyone i know! and i dont even take a multi vitamin because they make me feel like puking, i take my b vitamins and i EAT. I eat everything that is tasty and nutritious and her and my father eat their starchy mashed potatoes without skins and fatty slimy meats and take multi vitamins and always get colds and whatever other problems. hmm funny isnt it.

The stupid thing is that i live with my parents and she hasnt noticed that i havent eaten chicken in the past 6 months. so observant. thats probably because i always have to cook her chicken and lamb and beef. *throw up* getting really sick of that. Lamb is the worst.

Has anyone vegetarian ever gotten 'really' sick eating an almost perfect vegetarian diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Define "almost perfect vegetarian diet".

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Beginner

lol almost perfect as in, i eat what i think i should be eating but i could be missing things like foods i havent yet discovered. This is why i do all the research i can online, in books and vegetarian online communities like veggie boards. besides nothing is really 'perfect' is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Can you be more specific? I think you want to know if you are eating well enough to remain healthy and unless you outline what you eat, we cannot tell what you may be lacking.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

You are not going to get sick if you eat a proper diet. "Almost perfect vegetarian diet" isn't very specific though. Can you elaborate on what you actually do eat? Also, try getting a vegetarian book for teens. Your library will have lots of them.
#6 Old 08-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

In 14 years of being a vegetarian and about 5 of also avoiding dairy and eggs, I have not had a single illness that either I or my physicians could attribute to my diet.

Does that answer your question?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Beginner

I think the OP was mainly venting but for instance I will eat

breakfast

Alternating options including

total cereal, shredded wheat cereal with silk

orange juice

fresh fruit, i alternate but most of the time berries and melon.

cup of tea

once in awhile i eat eggs and have whole wheat toast.

lunch

i like to eat a whole wheat pita with cucumber and yogurt sauce with some dill, i usually have some chopped up red peppers on there and some warm chick'n patty type thing.

another favorite is brown rice and kidney beans with tomatoes and onions and garlic. Once a week or so i have some type of whole wheat pasta with sauce or some steamed veggies and beans. I also eat alot of other assorted things but not daily, i try to mix it up. I eat alot of snacks too.

Snacks throughout the day include apples, bannanas, extra melon and berries from breakfast, hummus on triscuts crackers or dipped in carrots, artichoke hearts, additional cereal with soymilk, seeds like sunflower and nuts like walnuts and almonds, dried fruit. I try and mix it up and not eat the same thing for snacks everyday. These are some of my snacks that are in rotation.

dinner is different alot of the time too. I like to have 3-4 different things at dinner time. like 2 veggies im always trying new ones. My new favorite is kale. I try to mix beans in anything whenever possible. a starchy item like brown rice(sometimes white) quinoa or a potato (white, red or sweet) with skins. I also really like some type of tofu with everything. Really currently liking lightly broiled tofu. sometimes i will substitute one of my veggies or starch for a piece of multi grain bread with hummus. (the real kind of bread with lots of grains in it!) I eat on smaller plates to keep portion sizes down but fill my plate usually.

Im always full after my meals. I know it totally sounds like a lot of food but keep in mind those are the options i rotate. I dont eat like 20 snacks a day! I drink about 6 glasses of water a day, no juices, rarely eat candy or junk type foods like chips. I try and maximize my nutrition by selecting whole grains, and eating whatever i can with as little cooking as possible and try to keep the skins on whenever possible. One thing im currently working on is getting more iron. Im always exploring new foods. My newest is quinoa. Any opinions on any good additions or substitutions would be great.
#8 Old 08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Beginner

my only sickness is my annual nasty nasal congestion that lasts november to about february and comes in spurts.
#9 Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickns View Post

my only sickness is my annual nasty nasal congestion that lasts november to about february and comes in spurts.

I have something similar. But mine's been about...oh, two years. It's a post-nasal drip, I'm told. And it gets to be a total pain the a**.
#10 Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Beginner

what the hell? that sounds terrible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page